Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #6301
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Hell or High Water - 9/10

The best job of screwed up normal people that seems like it could actually happen since Blue Ruin.

Snowden - 5/10

Citizen Four is better as a movie. This is Stone adding way too much nonsense.

Jason Bourne - 7/10

It was a typical Bourne movie. Not great, but solidly entertaining.

Two that I saw earlier in the year that I really enjoyed:

Free State of Jones - 9.5/10

Fascinating story and Matthew McConaughy is on a role like few actors ever have. He seems like he can do no wrong from the Lincoln Lawyer to now.

The Mermaid (Mei Ren Yu) - 9/10

This is a Chinese film that is so different than anything I've ever watched before that I can't really classify it. You'll either hate it or love it. I went in with the understanding that it was the highest grossing domestic film in Chinese history. It only made $3m in the US, but brought in another $550m worldwide. It's bizarre, it's creative, and it was engrossing as I tried to figure out what would happen next. I'm not sure if I would like it on a second viewing, but the experience of storytelling so unique has lingered all year long.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #6302
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Greasy Strangler - 3/10 Had to turn this off about 15 minutes in. After seeing the previews I was willing to bet that this movie is right up my alley when it comes to off the wall weird films with an odd premise and quirky characters.. But instead it is like one of the worst Tim and Eric sketches, one that goes on for over an hour. There are glimmers of hope in flashes from what I saw, but there are these ancillary characters that just sucked the entire life out of the film with one sequence where they repeat the same line over and over again, but the actors are just dudes off the street with no comedic ability and the joke doesn't work at all. An edgy teenager might like this movie.

I'm Not A Serial Killer- 9/10 - This film on the other hand, was excellent. Christopher Lloyd was awesome in his role, and the rest of the actors, including the awesomely named lead Max Records, are excellent. It is a thriller that does a good job keeping things going and making you want to see what happens, and that's exactly what I hope for when I run across a movie like this.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #6303
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I'm Not A Serial Killer- 9/10 - This film on the other hand, was excellent. Christopher Lloyd was awesome in his role, and the rest of the actors, including the awesomely named lead Max Records, are excellent. It is a thriller that does a good job keeping things going and making you want to see what happens, and that's exactly what I hope for when I run across a movie like this.

Read the book recently and just found out this week they made a movie. Was hoping it turned out well.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #6304
molson
General Manager

Hacksaw Ridge 9/10

This wasn't on my radar but I saw it as a free advance screening last night. It might be a 10/10, it was definitely the most intense experience I've had watching a war movie.

And I think the trailer is pretty bad. I probably would have skipped it based on the trailer alone, but I heard about some of the reviews as the 10-minute standing ovation in Venice. The trailer doesn't convey the right tone at all. The subject matter risks turning people off, but I didn't think the movie was preachy at all - it was about one man's beliefs being in conflict with a crazy and violent world. But we're really not asked to identify with his beliefs, we're more asked how we would react to them as an outsider.

I didn't realize Mel Gibson hasn't made a movie since Apocalypto. (The same amount of time he's been sober, apparently). I hope he comes back with something else sooner than that. Maybe it takes a deeply flawed man to be able to make movies like this about human beings, the kind that sit with you for a while afterwards.

Last edited by molson : 11-03-2016 at 11:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #6305
Groundhog
Coordinator

Haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge, but I agree with you re: the trailer. I had no interest in it (despite the Aussie connection), but after hearing all the praise I'm definitely going to check it out.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #6306
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Hacksaw Ridge 9/10

This wasn't on my radar but I saw it as a free advance screening last night. It might be a 10/10, it was definitely the most intense experience I've had watching a war movie.

And I think the trailer is pretty bad. I probably would have skipped it based on the trailer alone, but I heard about some of the reviews as the 10-minute standing ovation in Venice. The trailer doesn't convey the right tone at all. The subject matter risks turning people off, but I didn't think the movie was preachy at all - it was about one man's beliefs being in conflict with a crazy and violent world. But we're really not asked to identify with his beliefs, we're more asked how we would react to them as an outsider.

I didn't realize Mel Gibson hasn't made a movie since Apocalypto. (The same amount of time he's been sober, apparently). I hope he comes back with something else sooner than that. Maybe it takes a deeply flawed man to be able to make movies like this about human beings, the kind that sit with you for a while afterwards.

I think Mel Gibson has shown himself to be a decently talented director but it shows you how long a memory Hollywood has when you say the wrong thing at the wrong time. And I am not saying he doesn't deserve every bit of it.

It would be nice to see him doing some more work behind the camera though. I may see this at some point, although tonight I am catching Doctor Strange.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #6307
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A movie I can't believe it took me this long to watch...

High Fidelity...7/10. It is a very good movie. Great relationship movie and inner turmoil and midlife crisis type of movie. John Cusack does his Cusack thing and made me realize that I couldn't think of a movie he is in where he didn't get dumped or was pining for a girl. But the way it's done and linked to music is really really cool...albeit being a music lover I notice they really stick to standard standards. Jack Black really steals the movie. Every scene he's in he steals and is hilarious and I haven't really thought he was LOL funny before until i saw this. I like Todd Loiuso too. THe girls are wellcast. Maybe Catherine Zeta Jones sounds a bit phony but her character is kinda that way too. I've never seen TIm Robbins be THAT greaseball. ha
Really like Sara Gilbert so much I want to date her.
The cusackian lines however. seem old and tired. Cusacks movies like The Sure THing and Better OFf Dead seemed fresher and funnier. This one seems labored and slothy a little and this character who pines for his girlfriend keeps continually sleeping around or talking about it. It is a little hard to garner sympathy. However the whole package works and the little sideplots work well together.

And I can't get that song out of my head...

"I believe when I fall in love this time it will be forever."
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #6308
QuikSand
lolzcat

Arrival - */10

I think I have used this copout before in this thread...but I need more time to decide what I think.

Previews are pushing the positive reception - and deservedly so. Really hard to dislike the movie, I think - it's very well conceived, well shot, and well acted. Amy Adams is excellent, even if Jeremy Renner is a bit flat.

As for what the movie is, that's tougher. There's a bit of Close Encounters in the premise, but I think the fairer comparison might be Contact in that most of the drama remains human drama, and it tries to raise questions of a similar big-picture nature. It has a Nolan-esque feel, perhaps a bit like Interstellar, but that isn't really fair either. If you read Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land, you're getting closer - especially with that novel's exploration of (in that book) the Martian language as the only real tool by which to "grok" things on that deeper level.

The movie does plod, I think. I don't think this is an accident, nor is it excessive (there are many scenes where we almost alarmingly completely skip over nuts and bolts, which probably saves us 10-20 minutes of either boring mechanics or artificial drama). People who see space stuff in the poster/promo and think this might be an action or suspense movie will be disappointed. This is an introspective drama, the science-space setting is really just a vehicle.

I think I will end up rating it about 8 out of 10. If I think about it a lot in the next week, then I'll give them more credit for accomplishing that goal, and notch that upward some.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #6309
Groundhog
Coordinator

Guess I was on a horror kick lately.

31 - 6/10
A Rob Zombie movie... actually the first I've ever seen, I'm pretty sure. I dug the overall style and the simplistic "80s" feel to the horror, but it was definitely style over substance. Some truly horrific scenes though, and I think the character of Doom-Head towered above the rest of the movie to the point where I feel he should've been much more of the focus throughout.

Wolf Creek - 7/10
I have no idea why it took me so long to watch this, especially as it's an Australian movie. I've always found remote wilderness type of locations to be the best for movies like this, and that was the best part of this film for me. Having gone through some towns like the one that features near the beginning of the film, they definitely nailed down some of the fears that run through the mind of a city slicker like me. Outside of that it was pretty run-of-the-mill though.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #6310
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Accountant - 7.5/10

The way things tie together in the end keep it from being Rain Man meets Rambo, but there's also not quite enough explanation to keep it from being a plot contrivance. Kendrick, Simmons, and Addai-Robinson keep the human feel in the movie, with the latter being strong enough that this may be a bit of a breakout role for her.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #6311
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Arrival - */10

I think I have used this copout before in this thread...but I need more time to decide what I think.

Previews are pushing the positive reception - and deservedly so. Really hard to dislike the movie, I think - it's very well conceived, well shot, and well acted. Amy Adams is excellent, even if Jeremy Renner is a bit flat.

As for what the movie is, that's tougher. There's a bit of Close Encounters in the premise, but I think the fairer comparison might be Contact in that most of the drama remains human drama, and it tries to raise questions of a similar big-picture nature. It has a Nolan-esque feel, perhaps a bit like Interstellar, but that isn't really fair either. If you read Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land, you're getting closer - especially with that novel's exploration of (in that book) the Martian language as the only real tool by which to "grok" things on that deeper level.

The movie does plod, I think. I don't think this is an accident, nor is it excessive (there are many scenes where we almost alarmingly completely skip over nuts and bolts, which probably saves us 10-20 minutes of either boring mechanics or artificial drama). People who see space stuff in the poster/promo and think this might be an action or suspense movie will be disappointed. This is an introspective drama, the science-space setting is really just a vehicle.

I think I will end up rating it about 8 out of 10. If I think about it a lot in the next week, then I'll give them more credit for accomplishing that goal, and notch that upward some.

I decided, as of this post, to give it a 9/10. I think when I left the theater it was more of a 7-8/10. But I have thought about it a lot, and read up on some stuff on it, and it's really rather brilliant.

I suppose I can go meta here and say that if I spoke the aliens' language I could go figure out where I'll end up on this one.

I think that's vague enough of a reference lol

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-17-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #6312
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think I land at 9/10 also. It's provocative without being heavy-handed, and that's not easy.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #6313
Butter
Coordinator

Arrival is quite something. A sci-fi movie with neither action nor hard science, unless you consider linguistics a science. A couple of things keep it from a 10 for me... that is the lackluster cast performance outside of Adams... and the ending drags on for about 5 minutes longer than it should, seemingly just to make sure you "got it". No, I got it. I went with an 8. 8.08333 to be exact.

Last edited by Butter : 11-17-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #6314
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Arrival: 9/10

Can't really add much to what's been said here.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #6315
Suicane75
Coordinator

Suicide Squad: I'm sure I've seen dumber movies, but I'd be hard pressed to think of many off the top of my head. From the ridiculous characters to the idiotic story to the overwrought attempts at something resembling emotion, it's just so fucking grandiose in it's awfulness. I'd like to know what accent it is Margot Robbie is trying to pull off, because I think I detected about 6 or 7 different ones, none of them good. They should have just filmed her and Will Smith walking around with her ass hanging out and trading one liners for 2 hours and saved themselves some money.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #6316
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Suicide Squad: I'm sure I've seen dumber movies, but I'd be hard pressed to think of many off the top of my head. From the ridiculous characters to the idiotic story to the overwrought attempts at something resembling emotion, it's just so fucking grandiose in it's awfulness. I'd like to know what accent it is Margot Robbie is trying to pull off, because I think I detected about 6 or 7 different ones, none of them good. They should have just filmed her and Will Smith walking around with her ass hanging out and trading one liners for 2 hours and saved themselves some money.

It's obvious the script was either rewritten or written for Will Smith and it really hurts the movie. Robbie does a great job as Harley Quinn, but Deadshot is a boring and cliche character that drags a bad film even lower. Leto's Joker was heavily advertised in trailers and media prior to release and the character is nearly as bad as Deadshot. The only redeeming factor is he's not on screen much.

DC really needs to get things figured out. Batman vs superman was pretty terrible and suicide squad managed to be worse. This is despite the fact that Affleck and Robbie both had solid performances.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #6317
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow, if it was worse than Batman vs. Superman, that is really saying something.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #6318
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'll jump on the Arrival train, but with a twist

As a father, and a father who lost a child (that died in my arms), and as a husband who just separated from his wife recently, this movie hit me in all of my deep emotional wounds. Add those onto an already brilliant movie, and I've been weepy thinking about it for 5 days now.

For me, it was a cathartic, miraculous 2 hours.

11/10

Last edited by Toddzilla : 11-23-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Toddzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #6319
korme
Go Reds

Walked out of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Not because it was reprehensible or offensive or anything, I was just so disinterested in the storyline (or characters - which were so, so underdeveloped) that I figured I'd rather get to work early than stay for the final 20 minutes.

I did really enjoy A Man Called Ove, however.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #6320
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Bad Moms - 6/10 - There are moments in this movie that are flat out hilarious. There are moments in this movie that feel like a Lifetime original. The ending is so over the top sappy that it made me laugh sarcastically. It was clearly written by a woman for women.. Except that it was written by men. That blows my mind. The end credits will make your wife or girlfriend cry. Very uneven, but the laughs are there in spots.

Hell Or High Water - 9/10 - Very good film. Kind of a neo western, and the end had a real climactic finish that was awesome. I think if you watched this immediately after There Will Be Blood, it would make a solid companion film. Not nearly as powerfully acted in my opinion, but very strong in its own right.
Captain Kirk did a good job.

FUCK EA
Old 11-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #6321
chinaski
College Prospect

Joshy - 10/10
Joshy (2016) - IMDb

Perfect movie if you're a hard partying nerd who has seen much love and heart break. I loved everything about it. Funny and sad, it hit every chord for me.

Watched it in Hulu.

Last edited by chinaski : 11-25-2016 at 02:22 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #6322
Easy Mac

SING - 2/10

Went to an advanced screening with my daughter last night and dear God, it is so... so bad. And not in a "not appropriate for kids" way, but in a "this movie is just so bad and dumb" way. My Seven year old was so bored during the movie. I heard her genuinely laugh maybe 4 times in over 100 minutes of movie. Way too long and not funny. I think I heard maybe 10-15 smatterings of laughter in the theater the entire time. It never really found any of the emotional stuff it was going for either.

One positive I can say is that I'm not sure I've ever been to a 3d movie, we just never go to the movies outside of films for my daughter (and I go to maybe 1/4 of those). Not sure if it works as well for non-animated films, but the 3d did seem to add a depth to the movie that is lacking whenever we see animated movies on TV. It made it feel a bit more "realistic" than just a normal animated movie and thankfully they never put any gimmicky things in it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #6323
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Sing is just so late on trying to capitalize on the popularity of Glee.. It looks terrible.

FUCK EA
Old 12-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #6324
korme
Go Reds

Here's my list as we head into the Oscar stretch
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #6325
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I'll jump on the Arrival train, but with a twist

As a father, and a father who lost a child (that died in my arms), and as a husband who just separated from his wife recently, this movie hit me in all of my deep emotional wounds. Add those onto an already brilliant movie, and I've been weepy thinking about it for 5 days now.

For me, it was a cathartic, miraculous 2 hours.

11/10

Yup, enjoyed it. Read through IMDB review which shed some additional light that I didn't catch the first time.

Spoiler

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-11-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #6326
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well we picked up some new TV's from Black Friday deals, replacing some we had for oh 20 years or so...HD is pretty nice One of the first movies I've seen on the new TV is Interstellar. Wow the visuals there were beyond amazing, going through the wormhole, the giant wave on that first planet, etc. Matthew McConaughey was a poor choice for the lead I thought. Half of what he said was incomprehensible, and he looked/acted more like a football coach than a pilot for NASA. Did like the scenes with his daughter though. The ending/overall story was a bit hokey too, but give the director/screenwriter credit for going for it. I really do hate stories that involve time travel in a major way (which is why I'm a bit down on Flash/Legends of Tomorrow this season), but I suppose Interstellar's was better than most. I wonder how it will compare with another space epic, The Martian, which I also have DVR'ed.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #6327
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Captain America: Winter Soldier 9/10

I'm a bit late in catching up with the MCU, but I thought this was just about the best vehicle to bring Captain America into the 21st century.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #6328
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever - 9.5/10

This was a 99-cent Black Friday deal on Amazon Video, which was the first time I'd heard of it. A Grumpy Cat movie for 99 cents was clearly a moral imperative, so I bought it for my son who is a huge Grumpy Cat fan.

This turned out to be SO much better than I thought it would be. Think of this as "Mystery Science Theater 3000: Lifetime Christmas Movie", with Grumpy Cat providing the satirical commentary. Everyone aside from Grumpy Cat treats it as a typical Lifetime movie, while Grumpy Cat treats it like Grumpy Cat. Pure genius.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #6329
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Arrival - 9/10: - WOW, yes that was a great sci-fi movie. I enjoyed that it could be a thoughtful slow moving movie about how to communicate with aliens and be magnetic the entire time. And the twist was perfectly done. And the acting was fantastic. Amy Adams really was great in this.

Edward64, you may want to edit your last post.. at least put spoiler tags
Old 12-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #6330
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Spectral 8/10

A friend recommended this which he said was Blackhawk Down meets Ghostbusters and he was right. A Netflix original that was very entertaining from start to finish. Sure a little far fetched but that is perfectly fine with me, I really liked this movie as did the whole family. Highly recommend.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #6331
hollmt
High School Varsity

tad off topic just a bit...but each time I see the trailer for Collateral Beauty I just want to punch something. Something about the title of the movie just annoys the shit out of me. Almost like they just made 2 dart bards, grabbed some darts and tossed them and whatever landed is what they titled the movie. Even if I was interested in seeing it, the title alone puts me off. Sort of like stupid commercials for products. If I find the commercial outright idiotic, I immediately put the product on my do not buy list.

Had to rant just a bit. Sorry.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #6332
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Edward64, you may want to edit your last post.. at least put spoiler tags

Sorry, my bad.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #6333
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
tad off topic just a bit...but each time I see the trailer for Collateral Beauty I just want to punch something. Something about the title of the movie just annoys the shit out of me. Almost like they just made 2 dart bards, grabbed some darts and tossed them and whatever landed is what they titled the movie. Even if I was interested in seeing it, the title alone puts me off. Sort of like stupid commercials for products. If I find the commercial outright idiotic, I immediately put the product on my do not buy list.

Had to rant just a bit. Sorry.

I'm with you there. First time I saw the trailer (which seems like a good, well done trailer), I was thinking it seemed like a nice Oscar-ish type movie that could be a good watch, and I figured the title would be something rather poetic. So when they put up "Collateral Beauty," it sorta made me throw up in my mouth. What a terrible title. Would love to know what brainfarting individual was responsible for that.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #6334
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hell or Highwater - 9/10

Loved this. Chris Pine was solid, but Jeff Bridges stole the show.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #6335
Easy Mac

Hell or High Water 7/10

Solid, not as good as Sicario, but still quality. I was actually surprised how good Chris Pine was. He's always been a pretty boy, but it looks like he finally got a part where he was allowed to act. Felt Bridges was just old man Bridges, pretty much what you get with him nowadays. Ben Foster was as good as he always is. It's a shame he's balding and ugly, it's kept him stuck in 3rd or 4th lead. I feel like he could be an Oscar winner/household name by now if he ever got top billing.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #6336
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Rogue One - 7/10 could be 8/10

Really loved this movie and thought it was a perfect departure from the other movies. My only hit to the score was due to the picture appearing sort of washed out and lacking in color. Now I am wondering if this might have been the theater we were in so for those that have seen the movie (not in IMAX or 3D) what were your thoughts on the picture. If it was our theater then I definitely need to see it again.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #6337
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoyed Rogue one more than any of the other starwars movies....but im not a fan, I saw it in 3D with my GF and I think it would have been better in 2D, shit just makes it fuzzy.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #6338
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

The Miracle Worker (1962) - 7/10

Anne Bancroft’s performance is nothing short of brilliant. She definitely earned her Oscar portraying the stubborn, strong-willed Annie Sullivan. Patty Duke as Helen Keller was good as well, although I am not sure is was Oscar-worthy.

A solid feel-good movie that showcases two very fine actresses with great onscreen chemistry.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #6339
Groundhog
Coordinator

Kubo and the Two Strings - 10/10

Pretty much the perfect animation film for me with my interest in Japanese history, but my wife loved it also and declared it the best thing she'd seen all year. It reminded me a lot of the 'Hoichi the Earless' story from the 1965 film Kwaidan, and I think that was a huge influence on this story. A lot of really nice historical touches, especially the magical armour, which was a replica of the "ancient" armour I saw at the Japanese National Museum a few months ago. The animation style was really interesting too, and it's worth watching the credits to see them building the skeleton monster with the swords in its head.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #6340
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Kubo and the Two Strings - 10/10

Pretty much the perfect animation film for me with my interest in Japanese history, but my wife loved it also and declared it the best thing she'd seen all year. It reminded me a lot of the 'Hoichi the Earless' story from the 1965 film Kwaidan, and I think that was a huge influence on this story. A lot of really nice historical touches, especially the magical armour, which was a replica of the "ancient" armour I saw at the Japanese National Museum a few months ago. The animation style was really interesting too, and it's worth watching the credits to see them building the skeleton monster with the swords in its head.

Its a pity this movie was essentially overlooked in theaters. Better than anything Pixar came up with this year. Thought the ending was kind of anticlimactic, but it was a great movie.

FUCK EA
Old 12-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #6341
Easy Mac

Rogue One - 8/10
Star Wars, nothing more to be said.

Also, the Dunkirk teaser was attached to this movie. People generally chatted during the other teasers, but I don't know that I've ever been in a theater where there was absolute silence during a trailer. When the plane flies over the soldiers in the boat and then you seem them gradually duck as the noise gets louder... you could hear a pin drop once the sound cut out. That movie is going to make an obscene amount of money if they don't screw up the promotion.

Storks - 7/10
Watched it on the TV with my daughter. It was surprisingly good. I had no expectations, since it wasn't a Disney/Pixar movie, but it was genuinely funny throughout and mildly subversive. The world would be a better place if they made more kids movies like this.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #6342
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Rogue One - 7/10 could be 8/10

Really loved this movie and thought it was a perfect departure from the other movies. My only hit to the score was due to the picture appearing sort of washed out and lacking in color. Now I am wondering if this might have been the theater we were in so for those that have seen the movie (not in IMAX or 3D) what were your thoughts on the picture. If it was our theater then I definitely need to see it again.

Sounds like your theater, which is lame. I had no issues at all with the colors.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #6343
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Rogue One - 6/10

The third act of the film was excellent as it really did feel like a war movie. Rogue One is at its best when it is focused on the rebellion against the empire and not on fan service.

I do like the fact that the Disney took a chance and tried to make a different kind of Star Wars film. The tone is very dark and emphasizes the “war” aspect of Star Wars.

I would have liked Rogue One to feel more like a stand-alone film. What we got instead was Star Wars: Episode III.5.

For the most part, I found the movie enjoyable, but it had too many flaws for me to give it high marks.

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 12-21-2016 at 10:05 PM. Reason: update - full review on blog site
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #6344
revrew
Team Chaplain

Arrival - 6/10

Oh, it was well made, but I felt misled by the trailers, and thus found the whole thing ... a bit boring. Performances are great, entertainment value disappointing. The sci-fi mystery took a back seat to Amy Adams' backstory, and I was hoping for something more fun.

Hell or High Water - 8/10

Very well made movie, and it felt like a fresh concept, whether it is or not. Artsy but still entertaining and moving. Maybe not "Best Picture" quality, but a solid entry. This is the kind of movie that restores your faith in the art of moviemaking.

Rogue One - 7/10

Best Star Wars movie not in the original trilogy. Entertaining and a spectacle, with good character interplay. I only wish it could have been more of an epic, more back story, more sweeping music and cinematography to get it to the level of Episode IV. But this was more of an action/crowd pleaser than a masterpiece.

Blood Father - 7/10

Pleasantly surprised by this one. It's Mel Gibson back to being his old self, but more in control. Like a more mature "Lethal Weapon" meets "Ransom," but with more taste than either of those. Some might find the end anti-climactic, but that's only if you're expecting a full-fledged action flick. This was more of a character piece with action elements. Really liked it.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #6345
Edward64
Head Coach

Passengers - 8/10

Didn't get good reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some parts that were way too simplistic but the overall plot was great.

If you are a sci-fi fan, go see it.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #6346
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Passengers - 8/10

Didn't get good reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some parts that were way too simplistic but the overall plot was great.

If you are a sci-fi fan, go see it.

Cool, I might do that. I am a big scifi fan, but the reviews definitely put me off of this.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #6347
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Cool, I might do that. I am a big scifi fan, but the reviews definitely put me off of this.

Its not Arrival or Interstellar science, some holes in the plot, but its fun, great visuals. It's more like Heinlein's juvenile fiction series fun.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #6348
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Also beware, it's not what the trailers sell it as. That's where a lot of people got pissed by Passengers, I think.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #6349
chinaski
College Prospect

Rogue One - 9/10

Got me right in the feels. What a great movie!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #6350
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Also beware, it's not what the trailers sell it as. That's where a lot of people got pissed by Passengers, I think.

Interesting. The trailers suggest it will start off rom-commish and end up a space adventure. I'll be curious to ser how they could have some of those scenes and not end up with that story lol.