Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Gaelic Hill
n00b

2017 Music Thread

I didn't have an option to change the title of the other thread, so I deleted and started this one.

Last edited by Gaelic Hill : 01-09-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Gaelic Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Gaelic Hill
n00b

The following are from JonInMiddleGA

While there's nothing wrong (afaic) with another/new thread, just cause I believe you're new & might not have seen these yet, there are threads similar in nature already.

What the hell are you listening to...2016 Edition - Front Office Football Central

They seem to appear annually, and there's one for each year going back to 2007 if you wanna search 'em up

edit to add: I'd kinda nominate this to BE the 2017 thread if you wanted to change the title to the traditional ('cause that's how people will recognize it right off the bat) or have a moderator change the thread title to match, etc.

As an amusing side note, I previously mentioned that Highly Suspect was something like #185 of the 196 albums I reviewed/judged last year.

Number 196 of 196?
Muse Drones

My 2015 AotY list, fwiw.
2015 Albums of the Year | Jon's Three Cents

The 2016 list is, umm, still a work in progress.
I'm just hoping it's done by the end of the month at this point I'm afraid.

Last edited by Gaelic Hill : 01-09-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

edit:

I tried to put a thumbs-up here, failed miserably the first time.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-09-2017 at 01:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hey. Def Leppard - Def Leppard made your list! Kinda.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Hey. Def Leppard - Def Leppard made your list! Kinda.

Sub-list beats no-list

Last year, last two years really, have been pretty crazy for quality stuff coming from heritage artists. This year, umm, not so much really. While the upcoming lists will have a few standouts there were also some that were simply disappointing (even compared to more recent efforts).
Old 01-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Gaelic Hill
n00b

Is the list intentionally non-mainstream?. I only recognize three - def, queens, and death punch. Was Veruca Salt or Sleater-Kinney considered for heritage?

EDIT: Not sure if those 2 bands were actually 2015.

Last edited by Gaelic Hill : 01-09-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic Hill View Post
Is the list intentionally non-mainstream?. I only recognize three - def, queens, and death punch. Was Veruca Salt or Sleater-Kinney considered for heritage?

EDIT: Not sure if those 2 bands were actually 2015.

No, but I don't consider Veruca Salt remotely worthy of any notice at all, and I actualy had to Google Sleater-Kinney to find out what it was. Having done so I can safely say that they would have contended for "worst useless dreck I've ever heard in my life" if such an award existed. If that's "rock", then it would truly be better off dead afaic.

As for mainstream/non, that's never intentional with me. (My three main contenders for #1 this year -- that I'm still not clear about the final order of -- are one that's about as mainstream as you can, one that's kind of a genre forerunner and another that's kind of "contemporary star")

Looking back at my list from last year, 8 of the top 10 did produce at least one (active) rock radio hit, three had multiple hits. Of the top 20 I think it's at least one radio hit for 17 of those. So I might split a hair about them not be mainstream for rock fans. If anything I usually worry a little bit that I'm being too mainstream at times.

The distinction for me really begins with rock/not rock.
From there it goes to suck/don't suck.
And from there it's simply a matter of how much/little someone managed not to suck.

Just for reference, my previous #1's since I started doing the lists in 2011
2011- Seether "Holding Onto Strings Better Left To Fray"
2012- Halestorm "Strange Case Of"
2013 - Alter Bridge "Fortress"
(the best album I'd heard at that point in probably 20 years)
2014 - Godsmack "1000hp"
2015 - Trivium "Silence In The Snow"
Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Gaelic Hill
n00b

I see now why those bands are unknown to me: You're a metalhead. I listened to enough of your #2 album to understand that it's just more of the same everything-has-to-be-growled fake-testosterone poser rock with standard issue riffs and a fan base overrun with 13-year old boys acting out. No thanks. Trivium seems like it might be marginally more interesting.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelic Hill View Post
I see now why those bands are unknown to me: You're a metalhead. I listened to enough of your #2 album to understand that it's just more of the same everything-has-to-be-growled fake-testosterone poser rock with standard issue riffs and a fan base overrun with 13-year old boys acting out. No thanks. Trivium seems like it might be marginally more interesting.

Trivium took a HUGE leap with that album, production finally brought them to much more of their potential after

As for 5FDP, easily my most listened to band in the past five years, though if you ever sat through an album listening session with me (or my son) you'd know that I'm fully aware of their limitations. Despite those, no one current manages to come as close consistently to speaking for me, or at least in a voice that I recognize anywhere near as frequently.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That all said, there's a lot of stuff there that isn't remotely metal.
Active rock yes, hard rock yes, metal no.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #11
bob
College Starter

Stone Temple Pilots have a new singer (Jeff Gutt - was on X Factor) and single out:

Stone Temple Pilots on New Singer, Scott Weiland's Legacy - Rolling Stone

Let's see if attempt # 5 works for them. For those keeping count at home:

1. STP with Scott Weiland
2. Talk Show with Dave Coutts
3. Army of Anyone with Richard Patrick
4. STP with Chester Bennington
5. STP with Jeff Gutts

Last edited by bob : 11-15-2017 at 07:45 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well hell, I followed everyone else and was still posting to the 2016 thread.

I'll just wait for 2018.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote