Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #22351
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Yikes. That should be on a graduated scale of some sort. Higher-up drops from 400K to 300K, meh. 100K to 75K, ouch. 40K to $30K, and they're in real trouble.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #22352
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Im still hearing a TON of this.
Kinda blows my mind.
And everyone here knows Im as Pro 2A as you can get, and mostly R/Conservative (mostly...)

But I had a long conversation this weekend with a friend I usually consider intelligent that was basically

Me: Greater good. Fire in a theater. blah blah blah
Him: But but but mah rights. Right to assemble. Freedom.

Admitedly Im biased here because being forced to stay on my farm, ride my tractor, cut trees and associate only with my animals and my family is kind of my idea of heaven but I am failing to see the outrage.

I mentioned in the other thread but there is a relevant ruling for this (Jacobson vs Massachusetts).

What it comes down to is yes, that person has rights and liberty. But so does everyone else. And if their actions end up infringing on others, the state can step in.

For instance, I am free to exercise my religion but if I decide human sacrifice is part of it, the state can stop me. I'd be infringing on the rights of others.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #22353
RainMaker
General Manager

OK we may have jumped the shark as a country.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #22354
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
There's a lot of libertarianism in them.

Yes, this. Some of the most vocal about how these rules are all stupid and/or unconstitutional are those with libertarian bents. Not dumb people, but think they are smarter than they are and always have to be that guy, that contrarian asshole no matter the subject.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #22355
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Don’t under estimate yourselves
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #22356
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Old 03-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #22357
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
My company just took an across the board 25% pay cut. Sucks, but that was the only way to avoid any layoffs or cuts to health benefits.

I feel for you man. There's been quite a bit happening with my company since Thursday.

Thousands furloughed across the company. Some were let go, too.

The CEO sent out an email today letting us know that he and the rest of the Board of Directors will not be paid for the rest of 2020.

For those who were furloughed, the company is going to cover 100% of their health insurance benefits while they are furloughed. I think they usually cover 50%.

I don't know what is considered typical in this situation, but I am impressed with what the leadership has done in a time like this.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:38 AM   #22358
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Coronavirus in US: Partisanship is the strongest predictor of public response - Vox

Not unexpected, but partisanship is still the primary factor determining how people are experiencing reality.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #22359
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Coronavirus in US: Partisanship is the strongest predictor of public response - Vox

Not unexpected, but partisanship is still the primary factor determining how people are experiencing reality.

Trump supporters are stupid, selfish, and easily manipulated. Who would have imagined?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #22360
spleen1015
Coordinator

You can totally lay it on him for it being this way. He's not interested in leading this country the right way.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:06 PM   #22361
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Other way around. Trump wouldn't even be possible as POTUS without the partisan divide that predates him.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #22362
spleen1015
Coordinator

He's the POTUS. He needs to be the grown up in the room not the worst child in the room.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #22363
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sure, no argument there. I'm just saying Trump being a petulant child doesn't mean partisanship in America is his fault. Let's blame for what he's actually done, there's plenty there without adding more to it.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:45 PM   #22364
Kodos
Resident Alien

He has certainly exacerbated it in a major way.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #22365
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Trump calls for $2 trillion infrastructure bill to help economy during coronavirus crisis

How much money do we have to spend until I can feel safe?
Old 03-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #22366
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, I think infrastructure is something both parties can agree on, things are crumbling.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #22367
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Haven’t we been talking about spending money on infrastructure for 15 years?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:22 PM   #22368
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Haven’t we been talking about spending money on infrastructure for 15 years?

John Oliver had a terrific show on that topic a while back

YouTube
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:34 PM   #22369
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Honestly, I think infrastructure is something both parties can agree on, things are crumbling.

Agreed, as long as it is upgrading and rehabbing existing infrastructure rather than bridges to nowhere.

New stuff I am ok with as long as its not pork barrel stuff, but the existing structures typically are forgotten about when items of this nature are bandied about.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:36 PM   #22370
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Other way around. Trump wouldn't even be possible as POTUS without the partisan divide that predates him.

100% in agreement here. Trump is a symptom, not the cause. Although one symptom can lead to other symptoms developing.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #22371
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Several GOP Senators have already said no new bill and we're done spending.

That and nobody is actually in D.C. and likely won't be until the need for such a bill has ended.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #22372
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
100% in agreement here. Trump is a symptom, not the cause. Although one symptom can lead to other symptoms developing.

Oh well - I was already beaten to this. Trump is a symptom, not a cause

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #22373
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Is it possible that, by extending the self distancing rules to April 30, the president has given those governors who have been fighting against shelter in place a chance to put one in place without losing face?

Quote:
But that is why I think it might be the play. If you are the governor who believed or wanted to support the president, I could see not wanting to be seen as going against him by shutting things down. Now you can shut things down until at least say like 15 April and just say that the change is inline with the President’s new directives.

A reason why Florida hasn’t shut down? Nobody from White House task force said so, DeSantis says.

Quote:
“I’m in contact with (the White House task force) and I’ve said, are you recommending this?” DeSantis said. “The task force has not recommended that to me. If they do, obviously that would be something that carries a lot of weight with me. If any of those task force folks tell me that we should do X, Y or Z, of course we’re going to consider it. But nobody has said that to me thus far.”

That deference to the White House was later applauded by President Donald Trump, who lauded DeSantis, a close political ally.

When asked if Florida needed to issue a blanket order, Trump replied that DeSantis is a “great governor who knows exactly what he’s doing.”
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #22374
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From Politico:

Quote:
The government has yet to curtail exports by U.S. companies, however—roughly 280 million masks in warehouses around the U.S. were purchased by foreign buyers on Monday alone, according to Forbes. A FEMA spokesperson said the agency “has not actively encouraged or discouraged U.S. companies from exporting overseas,” noting that various U.S. agencies are coordinating their activities with their overseas counterparts.

What a fucking disaster.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:00 PM   #22375
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
From Politico:

What a fucking disaster.

Quite an ethical dilemma.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:03 PM   #22376
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Several GOP Senators have already said no new bill and we're done spending.

That and nobody is actually in D.C. and likely won't be until the need for such a bill has ended.

I would bet that Trump drags them along.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/polit...lks/index.html
Old 03-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #22377
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So for real I know this won’t happen, but why can’t we be out fixing highways en masse with traffic at all time lows. Most of this being outdoor work, and it not seeming like they work all that close together.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #22378
Edward64
Head Coach

I like the idea of fixing up the infrastructure (and I would love bullet trains spread out throughout the country).

However, I don't think this is time yet for that bill. TBH, I don't think many are desperate/willing enough to do manual labor (yet).

What I can forsee is once we are trending back to normality, assuming interest rates are still pretty low, increase guest worker programs to help rebuild the infrastructure.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #22379
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Quite an ethical dilemma.

I fail to see the dilemma.

Do the right thing. Not that hard.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #22380
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I fail to see the dilemma.

Do the right thing. Not that hard.

The ethical dilemma is do we try to help the world even though we have shortages of our own or do we ignore them and it's US first.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-01-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #22381
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The ethical dilemma is do we try to help the world even though we have shortages of our own or do we ignore them and it's US first.

That issue is discussed in the Politico piece, but this specific problem isn't about helping other countries as it is selling to the highest bidder to maximize profits. It's a good example of how the federal response to the supply shortage has largely been inadequate. We don't have enough masks, but we're still allowing companies to sell to the highest bidder and ship them overseas by the tens of millions.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #22382
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
That issue is discussed in the Politico piece, but this specific problem isn't about helping other countries as it is selling to the highest bidder to maximize profits. It's a good example of how the federal response to the supply shortage has largely been inadequate. We don't have enough masks, but we're still allowing companies to sell to the highest bidder and ship them overseas by the tens of millions.

Sure. I'm good with regulating/controlling what companies do (and in this case with medical supplies I'm all for it) in a national emergency.

But the underlying ethical question still remains.

Forget about companies making a profit to the highest bidder, the question is in a situation where there is not enough supplies for the US, do we ignore needs to other countries and it's just US first?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #22383
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

My personal answer to what we *should* do is no, we don't do that. I think we keep a lot for ourselves but export some to where the worst shortages are. This is part ethical, but also part pure self-preservation. Everything that happens affects everyone in a global world, and the worse it gets anywhere, the worse the recovery will be everywhere.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #22384
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure. I'm good with regulating/controlling what companies do (and in this case with medical supplies I'm all for it) in a national emergency.

But the underlying ethical question still remains.

Forget about companies making a profit to the highest bidder, the question is in a situation where there is not enough supplies for the US, do we ignore needs to other countries and it's just US first?

I believe the US government should put the US people first.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #22385
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In this case, we don't know where te masks are going. Given the bidding procedures, it's unlikely they are going to governments of poorer countries, but they may not be going to hospitals at all. It's impossible to know whether these purchases are going to entities that will help people in other countries. They could just as easily be going to individuals or profit seekers or stockpiles for future usage.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #22386
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I believe the US government should put the US people first.

Nationalist.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #22387
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
In this case, we don't know where te masks are going. Given the bidding procedures, it's unlikely they are going to governments of poorer countries, but they may not be going to hospitals at all. It's impossible to know whether these purchases are going to entities that will help people in other countries. They could just as easily be going to individuals or profit seekers or stockpiles for future usage.

You mean like to rich businessmen who influence countries via off shore, shell corporations that can move money around the world pretty much unaccounted for, and for whatever means they desire?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #22388
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

You are avoiding answering the question. Forget your link about companies making a profit by selling needed medical supplies to other countries. Forget what Trump will do or say. If you were President (and we are where we are) what would you do if ...

Assume (Neutral Thailand, friendly Mexico, enemy Venezuela) has asked the US for more masks and ventilators. Assume they are in short supply worldwide. Do we send them all/some to the country or do the US first and keep them all until the tide has turned?

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-01-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #22389
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are avoiding answering the question. Forget your link about companies making a profit by selling needed medical supplies to other countries. Forget what Trump will do or say. If you were President (and we are where we are) what would you do if ...

Assume (Neutral Thailand, friendly Mexico, enemy Venezuela) has asked the US for more masks and ventilators. Assume they are in short supply worldwide. Do we send them all/some to the country or do the US first and keep them all until the tide has turned?

Because you're asking a question totally unconnected to what's actually happening.

We have medical stockpiles all over the globe. I think it's appropriate and probably more cost-efficient to look at sharing those supplies. Eventually, we will have excess production that can also be shared. But none of that matters when we don't have a national supply system in place to adequately determine national needs and national supplies. It sure seems like right now it's just highest bidder gets the supplies.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #22390
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

The most basic equation here is that you can't be a help, support, or salvation for anyone else, whether they are your spouse, kids, city, country or what have you, if you aren't taking care of yourself well enough. Doesn't have to be completely selfish or stay at 100%, but you have to be healthy enough to be valuable.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #22391
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You mean like to rich businessmen who influence countries via off shore, shell corporations that can move money around the world pretty much unaccounted for, and for whatever means they desire?

Luckily, we can be sure that in a time of crisis that would never happen.

On an unrelated note, did you hear about the GOP fundraiser that closed up shop to get into the medical supply business? True story.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #22392
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Because you're asking a question totally unconnected to what's actually happening.

Admittedly I've not read any stories yet but I'm willing to be there's been reachout to US government for medical supplies. I don't envy the person(s) making those decisions/recommendations.

Quote:
We have medical stockpiles all over the globe. I think it's appropriate and probably more cost-efficient to look at sharing those supplies.

So I think you are saying you would share the medical supplies (assume predominantly US military stockpiles) that we have outside of the US to other countries, but not supplies we have in the US (until the tide turns and we don't need them as much).

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-01-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #22393
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
The most basic equation here is that you can't be a help, support, or salvation for anyone else, whether they are your spouse, kids, city, country or what have you, if you aren't taking care of yourself well enough. Doesn't have to be completely selfish or stay at 100%, but you have to be healthy enough to be valuable.

Please secure your oxygen mask before helping others.

I've heard that somewhere before...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #22394
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would never dream that people would buy supplies to an offshore entity and then mark them up and resell them to us without ever needing to transport them offshore. That would never happen.

The arbitrage on this is going to be sickening.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #22395
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

So I'm reading US first for the most part until the tide turns?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #22396
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Please secure your oxygen mask before helping others.

I've heard that somewhere before...

Good one!
Old 04-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #22397
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Turns out that Elon Musk's donation of "ventilators" was actually CPAP machines that don't work as ventilators without significant modifications and may help spread COVID.

Con man gonna con.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #22398
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mike Pence is such an ass kissing snake.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #22399
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Turns out Sen. Loeffler sold almost 19 million in stock between Feb 26 and March 11.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #22400
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Turns out Sen. Loeffler sold almost 19 million in stock between Feb 26 and March 11.

I have two thoughts on this...

1) If these senators etc are found to be acting improperly they should face a harsh jail sentence not just penalties/fines. Not sure why any of them should be able to own stock. If you want to be a lifelong politician that should be part of the agreement. However it isn't so...

2) On the flip side generally these people (especially her husband) are highly successful for a reason. I mean isn't this the main criticism of Trump that everyone and their mother saw this coming from what was going on in China? If she and her husband had a hunch that the shit was going to hit the fan (and did nothing illegal from secret reports etc) I guess kudos to them right?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote