Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which book is more girly?
Gone with the Wind 9 25.71%
Pride and Prejudice 26 74.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Which book is more girly?

So, lurker and i were talking about girly books, and got into a big fight about which book is more girly, Gone with the Wind by Margeret Mitchelll, or Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. So, anyway, before you guys return all the wedding gifts you got us, we figured we'd see which book you think is girliest.

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Pride and Prejudice by far.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hrmmm...

Well, I would have to go with Pride & Prejudice. At least there's a war in Gone with the Wind. You have some soldiers mucking about in P&P, but that's about it.

Lady H_B loves the BBC version of P&P. All 5+ hours of it. Apparently Colin Firth smolders as Mr. Darcy as no man has smoldered before. There have been repeated viewings, during the last of which I was in the other room playing Championship Manager but could still hear it. By hour 4 I felt so wussified that I had to leave and go see the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make to compensate. It worked wonders. That said, there are quite a few amusing scenes in the BBC P&P and the actors are top notch. Perfect casting. (Did I say that last part out loud?)
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

The correct answer is "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

They're both girly.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
lurker
High School JV

The movies (both) are great, but let's make it about which book is more girly. As in, reading which one in public makes a guy more mockable?

Edit -- Passacaglia, you call that a big fight? Wow, we really do have an uneventful relationship

Last edited by lurker : 05-06-2005 at 12:29 PM.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
Edit -- Passacaglia, you call that a big fight? Wow, we really do have an uneventful relationship

Just trying to liven it up for the crew here, since a thread that was JUST about girly books wouldn't fly.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
lurker
High School JV

Oh yeah, good plan. But we better not talk too much about fights, or else we'll make people "uncomfortable".

SackAttack, the exact line "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" isn't even in the book

Last edited by lurker : 05-06-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh yeah, good plan. But we better not talk too much about fights, or else we'll make people "uncomfortable".

SackAttack, the exact line "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" isn't even in the book

Yup- most people don't know that.
As to the question, I think Pride and Prejudice (and Austen in general) is awesome, but I could certainly see people thinking of it as "Girly"...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Which one has a picture of Fabio on the cover? That's the one I'm voting for.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
That said, there are quite a few amusing scenes in the BBC P&P

If you thought there were a few amusing scenes in the movie, you should really read the book. There's quite a lot of understated humor in that book that doesn't translate to the movie.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
If you thought there were a few amusing scenes in the movie, you should really read the book. There's quite a lot of understated humor in that book that doesn't translate to the movie.

I have read the book. We had to in my junior year of highschool. I was a bit young (and uninterested at the time), but I remember thinking it wasn't too bad.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
miked
College Starter

Anything by Jane Austen trumps the girly debate.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #13
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I thought those Sweet Valley Twins books were really girly...or whatever they were called.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
lurker
High School JV

So this is the point where I start debating. Passacaglia, if you think this will influence the voters, let me know and maybe I'll delete it!

Wouldn't it make more sense that since Pride and Prejudice is seen as more of a classic novel and that it's read in literature classes it's more gender-neutral than a book that was generally only read for pleasure, and generally by women?

Last edited by lurker : 05-06-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #15
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
The correct answer is "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

They're both girly.
LMAOF
Old 05-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #16
miked
College Starter

Quote:
So this is the point where I start debating. Passacaglia, if you think this will influence the voters, let me know and maybe I'll delete it!

Wouldn't it make more sense that since Pride and Prejudice is seen as more of a classic novel and that it's read in literature classes it's more gender-neutral than a book that was generally only read for pleasure, and generally by women?

If I saw a male reading Pride and Prejudice on the street, I would automatically assume it was for a class as few males would decide this is a book they would like to read.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #17
lurker
High School JV

That seems really weird and unfortunate, but probably true. Why wouldn't this hypothetical male think "hey, this is a classic novel, I should see what's so good about it that make people decide to analyze it"? I didn't stop and think Hemingway or Hardy only wrote guy books. I thought there must be a reason they're recommended so I should read them.

Last edited by lurker : 05-06-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #18
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Nah, you don't need to delete it, since you're already getting your butt kicked!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
hhiipp
College Prospect

Whichever one you're reading is the one I'd say is more girly.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm with you, Lurker. P&P is a much better book and, accordingly, less girly in my eyes. It has quality that transcends gender.

But, as you can see, we are wrong. Girly is what the masses say it is, and the masses say that, while D'Arcy may be Firthalicious, he is--in the end--girly.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
If I saw a male reading Pride and Prejudice on the street, I would automatically assume it was for a class as few males would decide this is a book they would like to read.

I disagree - I think Austen is awesome. Having an interest in reading classic literature doesnt make you any less of a man or any such thing.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #22
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That seems really weird and unfortunate, but probably true. Why wouldn't this hypothetical male think "hey, this is a classic novel, I should see what's so good about it that make people decide to analyze it"? I didn't stop and think Hemingway or Hardy only wrote guy books. I thought there must be a reason they're recommended so I should read them.

I'm with you. This is akin to ignoring Agatha Christie because she's a female detective story writer in favor of Doyle or what not.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #23
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
My cats name is Mittens
Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #24
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Nah, you don't need to delete it, since you're already getting your butt kicked!

Well, the quality voters know which one is better. The ones on my side are able to expand on their opinions, so they're obviously more literate. We should have made it a public poll so we wouldn't have to count the votes of those who obviously never read either one.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, the quality voters know which one is better. The ones on my side are able to expand on their opinions, so they're obviously more literate. We should have made it a public poll so we wouldn't have to count the votes of those who obviously never read either one.

To qualify. While I voted P&P to be more "girly" than GWTW, it is by no means a reflection of which one is "better" than the other. P&P is a literary classic. A great book and a fantastic piece of literature. While GWTW is a classic as well, I do think P&P is a better book.

One being more "girly" than the other speaks nothing of the merits of the texts. It is simply an assessment of how "girly" (whatever the hell that means) each book is.

If y'all wanted this to be a vote as to which is the better book, you should have said so. Unless "girly" in the Lurkacaglia family is a synonym for "bad", which just wouldn't be right.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #26
lurker
High School JV

No, I knew what you were saying. I was just doing some trash-talking.

My contention is just that the better book should be seen as less girly, because calling it girly implies that men wouldn't enjoy reading it. But I'm aware that that's not necessarily the opnion others hold.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

I voted before reading the thread.

I selected Gone with the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote