Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #551
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I think there are a lot of people that can say that.

You are forgetting how many WS there have been in my lifetime (I have caught at least part of 39 of them).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:34 PM   #552
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
You are forgetting how many WS there have been in my lifetime (I have caught at least part of 39 of them).
Damn, you're old...

...and I'm right behind ya... :o
Old 10-19-2005, 10:35 PM   #553
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Oswalt was the difference-maker, no doubt.

And that call was not even debatable, no doubt. But no sour grapes on my end. As I said, your team earned the pennant. Go get 'em.

Thanks. You were the only dignified Cards fan in this thread (when I've read it).

Two or three other guys have just been taking cheap shots at us the whole way.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:36 PM   #554
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to the Astros - here's hoping they can make AJ a miserable miserable man.

Oswalt has been one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball over the last 3-4 years, and its good to know he's going to get the attention he deserves for it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:36 PM   #555
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You know, Coug, there's probably a game of some sort in that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #556
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Ok, so when are you going to admit that Oswalt has been the best pitcher in the playoffs despite getting jobbed on the strikezone (which has a bigger effect than ONE debatable missed call)?

You are cheering for the Astro's and you are complaining? I don't get it. Houston won, they were able to shut down the Cardinal offense, they let Pujols get his and shut everyone else down, no if ands or buts about it. What was that stat, Houston hitting .270 and STL hitting .223, and the back part of the Houston lineup produced, and the hitters around Pujols did nothing. Without Pujols miracle shot, that series was over in 5 games. As I said, 119 days til Spring Training.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #557
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
You are cheering for the Astro's and you are complaining? I don't get it. Houston won, they were able to shut down the Cardinal offense, they let Pujols get his and shut everyone else down, no if ands or buts about it. What was that stat, Houston hitting .270 and STL hitting .223, and the back part of the Houston lineup produced, and the hitters around Pujols did nothing. Without Pujols miracle shot, that series was over in 5 games. As I said, 119 days til Spring Training.

Almost as bad as whining after everything is said and done and you've lost.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #558
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Have you looked in the mirror? Your whining has gone on and on. You just can not shut up about the strikezone. The Astros got the breaks in the series. Yet you still whine on and on about a strikezone.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #559
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I was just saying how the Stro's beat the Cards, how is that whining? Jeeber, am I whining?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:43 PM   #560
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
The call wasn't the difference in the game or the series, it was wrong no doubt about it though. I think you are being unfair with your comment, I'm sure if the roles were reversed there would be some upset Stro fans just as their are upset Cardinal fans.

I live with a Cardinal fan, and after seeing the way he and his dad act when things dont go their way, I have a right to make that statement.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:44 PM   #561
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

RPI-Fan is just an asshat who makes stuff up to show how immature he is. Do not let him bother you.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 PM   #562
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
I live with a Cardinal fan, and after seeing the way he and his dad act when things dont go their way, I have a right to make that statement.

I think most Cardinal fans realize why they lost, and it's not because of some call. Good teams find a way to not let a umpire beat them, the Cards didn't hit, the Stros shut them down, the Stros won, game set and match. Time for Stro fans to move on to the Series and Card fans to think about spring training.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #563
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I am going to miss class on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night to be at GE's apartment to catch the games on TV
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #564
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Are y'all catching Clemens on ESPN? They are trying to interview him and he keeps saying go talk to Roy, and Biggio and Bags... oh my goodness I want to cry for them!

Last edited by LoneStarGirl : 10-19-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #565
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

and Roy got MVP of the series, good for him
Old 10-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #566
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are y'all catching Clemens on ESPN? They are trying to interview him and he keeps saying go talk to Roy, and Biggio and Bags... oh my goodness I want to cry for them!

Why would they want to talk to Backe?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #567
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
RPI-Fan is just an asshat who makes stuff up to show how immature he is. Do not let him bother you.

I don't think RPI is that bad, just trying to figure out how I'm whining.

Oh yeah, I'm proud to be a member of the Asshat, red wearing, Busch Stadium filling Cardinal fans!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:49 PM   #568
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I said Bags, not Backe

Last edited by LoneStarGirl : 10-19-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #569
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Dude, Mizzou, Card4ever, etc...ya'll have been a classy bunch. I hope we meet again next year in the NLCS...

Congrats to you Jeebs and Lonestargirl and the Astros... believe it or not I am happy for Biggio and Bagwell.

Tip of the cap to Oswalt too, wow he was on tonight.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #570
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How is calling Berkman's homerun a "pussy shot" or somesuch "classy"? They've been taking uncalled for shots at the Astros through the whole series.

Jeeber understands the rivalry and knows it's all a matter of standing behind your team, meaning when it's all over - it was all in the heat of battle.

You come and go as the series saw fit and honestly don't seem like much of a Houston fan to me. In fact, I think you have some issues with Cardinal fans and that's fine with me.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #571
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Jeeber understands the rivalry and knows it's all a matter of standing behind your team, meaning when it's all over - it was all in the heat of battle.

Very true. Plus I guess I've been around folks from other teams where the trash talk get REALLY ugly. As intense as this series and rivalry has become I thought the Cards fans on the board acted with class.

Damn, my head hurts this morning...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #572
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Very true. Plus I guess I've been around folks from other teams where the trash talk get REALLY ugly. As intense as this series and rivalry has become I thought the Cards fans on the board acted with class.

Damn, my head hurts this morning...

You need to get healthy for Saturday.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #573
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #574
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
They should not get 2 games at home in the first round.

Wait, what?

That's not the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, but you can see it from there.

Last edited by SackAttack : 10-20-2005 at 01:45 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #575
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Haven't you read Costas' book? It's a scenario he laid out. The road should be tougher for a wildcard, to play 162 games for a division title should mean something and in the first round where it's 3 out of 5, the WC should only get 1 game.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #576
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Boo
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #577
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

hahaha that is a beautiful poster. I would like to buy it and hang it in GE and my bed room
Old 10-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #578
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Haven't you read Costas' book?

Heck, I haven't read the book but I knew about this.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #579
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Haven't you read Costas' book? It's a scenario he laid out. The road should be tougher for a wildcard, to play 162 games for a division title should mean something and in the first round where it's 3 out of 5, the WC should only get 1 game.

The title does mean something, it means you get to play the team with worst record in the playoffs, or if they are in your division, the second to worst. The Astros won numerous central division titles in the 90's and didn't even get past the first round. What goes around comes around.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #580
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The title does mean something, it means you get to play the team with worst record in the playoffs, or if they are in your division, the second to worst. The Astros won numerous central division titles in the 90's and didn't even get past the first round. What goes around comes around.

Good lord, do you take everything to be a attack on the Astros? I've had this stance since this system went into place. Don't even get me started on the All-Star game winner determining home field, though that works out decently this year, the Sox should have home field.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #581
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Woah, get a grip Cards4ever, I only mentioned the Astros because they are the only team I really follow so they are the only example i could come up with. Is that okay with you?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #582
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I've got a grip, but you spit out the Astros as the reason, because they failed in previous trips. I think you have this feeling that Cardinal fans are just destroyed because of the previous NLCS, I highly doubt that is the case, as the team that has won the most NL pennants, we feel we'll be back as strong as ever next year challenging for a title. I've long held the belief about WC's and how they should be treated, and that holds true whether it's the Cardinals or any other team winning the WC.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #583
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey, it's hockey season. Close this thread and you two hug.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #584
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Not until the WC system is changed! How old is Bud anyway?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #585
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I still think it's ridiculous. Look, if you're the #1 seed in the league, you should be capable of winning your three home games against the wild card - which is al you need to do to advance. If you're stacking the deck against the wild card team by giving them one home game, what are you admitting?

"The wild card team may be the better team, but we want to tilt the field towards a first round exit simply because they struggled in April and May."

Secondly, why do we have the wild card? So more teams stay in the playoff hunt and fan interest stays high even when the division title is out of reach. If you stack the deck against those teams, don't you run the risk of sabotaging the very interest you're trying to build?

You're reducing the income they can earn through the playoffs, and essentially telling the fans of the wild card team that they're second-class citizens, that they don't deserve to get two chances to watch their team in the playoffs before ticket prices go through the roof in the LCS and World Series.

It's a ridiculous idea. Yes, it's warm and fuzzy for teams like the Yankees and Braves and other perennial playoff teams that might reasonably expect a shot at playing the wild card in the first round, but it means absolutely fuck-all to the teams that are on the next tier down.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #586
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

The reward should be higher for a team that wins it's division. Otherwise why have the divisions, just put all the teams in one league and go 1-4 and play a balanced schedule.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, I'm just not a huge fan of the WC, but there's also not enough teams to have 4 divisions in each league.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #587
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
You're reducing the income they can earn through the playoffs, and essentially telling the fans of the wild card team that they're second-class citizens, that they don't deserve to get two chances to watch their team in the playoffs before ticket prices go through the roof in the LCS and World Series.
Well... yeah. They are. They didn't win their division, so I have no problem with stacking the deck against them. Frankly, I wouldn't be upset if ALL games in the DS were at the team playing the WC (which I think should be best team regardless if they are in the same division as the WC team).