Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #651
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I hate OSU too, but I'm not cheering spinal injuries.

Well, yeah, you appear to not be insane.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #652
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The NFL really needs to get tougher on cheap shots that injures players. Thugs like Rob Gronkowski can blindside a player and yet may not even miss a game. The player he hit is in concussion protocol and will in all likelihood miss a game.

Isn't that kind of f'd up?
Old 12-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #653
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've always said on injuries that result from cheap shots, the offender shouldn't return until the player they hurt can return. (As a bonus, the offender's salary should go to the injured player during that time.)
Old 12-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #654
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Juju and the anonymous Bengals safety each suspended for a game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #655
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Juju and the anonymous Bengals safety each suspended for a game.

Was Juju suspended for taunting?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #656
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Was Juju suspended for taunting?

According to the reports, he was suspended for the hit. I guess he got a penalty for taunting during the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #657
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The NFL really needs to get tougher on cheap shots that injures players. Thugs like Rob Gronkowski can blindside a player and yet may not even miss a game. The player he hit is in concussion protocol and will in all likelihood miss a game.

Gronk was suspended

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #658
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

When the teams get tired of the cheap shots, the cheap shots will be removed from the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #659
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
According to the reports, he was suspended for the hit. I guess he got a penalty for taunting during the game.

Thought the hit looked clean. The taunt was definitely over the line.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 PM   #660
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seems worth pointing out the number of high profile receivers who've openly pleaded for defenders to hit them high, not low.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 AM   #661
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess you aren't allowed to blindside block and contact the head or neck area of a defender. That being said, if he doesn't taunt after he knocked Burfict the fuck out, he probably doesn't get suspended.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #662
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Thought the hit looked clean. The taunt was definitely over the line.

Looking at replays, my default is that it was clean but I feel like if a defender hit a receiver in a similar fashion with today's sensibilities, it would have been a flag, fine and suspension.

For me, a defenseless player is a defenseless player even if his name is Burfict.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #663
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #664
Suicane75
Coordinator

I can't wait for the day when two teammates share a passionate kiss after a hard fought victory. Then I'll be served, then I'll be complete.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #665
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looking at replays, my default is that it was clean but I feel like if a defender hit a receiver in a similar fashion with today's sensibilities, it would have been a flag, fine and suspension.

For me, a defenseless player is a defenseless player even if his name is Burfict.

How was he defenseless? He was running straight at him. Does the other player have to confirm that he is seen first? It's not the receiver's fault that he wasn't looking where he was running.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #666
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How was he defenseless? He was running straight at him. Does the other player have to confirm that he is seen first? It's not the receiver's fault that he wasn't looking where he was running.

We're not far from having any player who gets hit being declared "defenseless" so ...
Old 12-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #667
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's the "Hines Ward Rule". Not allowed to make contact with the head or neck at all on a blindside block.

I got zero issue with him jacking that POS Burfict up but do it within the rules and don't taunt. Refs should have tossed him.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #668
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Look, I have no problem with the hit. Burfict was trying to involve himself in the play and JuJu laid him out. That is the football that I know and I knew for the first 40 years of my life. 5-10 years ago, we would have told Burfict to keep his head on a swivel and he would have been added at halftime to the JACKED UP segment. We would also have said the same thing to JuJu if Burfict would have done the same thing to him if for example if JuJu were chasing down someone after an interception and blew him up unexpectedly. We don't think that way anymore.

Here is the quote from the NFL VP of Football Operations Jon Runyan to JuJu:

Quote:
You are suspended for the dangerous and unsportsmanlike acts you committed during the fourth quarter of last night’s game. Specifically, with 7:10 remaining, on a passing play to a running back, you lined up a defender and delivered a violent and unnecessary blindside shot to his head and neck area. You then “celebrated” the play by standing over him and taunting him. The contact you made with your opponent placed the opposing player at risk of serious injury and could have been avoided. Your conduct following the hit fell far below the high standards of sportsmanship expected of an NFL player.”

Before I continue, a quick aside. Jon Runyan is a part of the system that lays down punishments for cheap shots in the NFL?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

My only point was that if a defender hit a receiver in that manner, he would have been deemed defenseless because.... If that is the case for a receiver coming across the middle, it should be the same for the receiver against the defender. My objection is to punishing one side of the ball while allowing the other side to go unpunished for the same thing.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #669
Thomkal
Head Coach

Somewhere Jerry Jones is crying...

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell signs contract extension
Old 12-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #670
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Somewhere the whole NFL world is crying...

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell signs contract extension

Fixed
Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #671
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And in a total non-sequitor, you can check out the adventures of Sam Huff, arguably the greatest WVU football product of all time and a Hall of Famer, at least in name, in my Blood Bowl Dynasty as a pretty cool Blitzer.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-07-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #672
cuervo72
Head Coach

The Sad State of Sam Huff | ESPN 980

Quote:
His nickname when he played was “Snowflake.” In those violent collisions with the likes of Brown and Taylor, he was sometimes knocked out cold. There was no concussion protocol in the 50’s and 60’s, so Huff would just shake it off and get back in the game. And to give you a idea of the ignorance of the time, as what were likely concussions piled up, teammates would joke that all it took was a snowflake to knock Huff out.

Now at age 81, court papers say he suffers from dementia, like many former football players. Yes, there’s a legal battle over Sam Huff that’s downright sad.

Guess he should just deal with it.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #673
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I met Sam a few times. Loved him. Along with Jerry West and Jeff Hostetler, Sam Huff is an icon in my state for being one of the best and big names of his sport. Born, raised, and went to WVU, and then made the HOF.

By the way, did you know some WV players who didn't make it to WVU the flagship school are also in the HOF? It's true! WVU had two, Sam Huff and O Lineman Stydahar. West Virginia Wesleyan had two, and Marshall one, soon to be two with Randy Moss.

C Frank Gatski, Browns, Marshall
RB Cliff Battles, Redskins, WV Wesleyan
End Earl "Greasy" Neale, WV Wesleyan, multiple teams in pros, 1910s.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #674
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Guess he should just deal with it.

Without the game, none of us would have the slightest idea, nor care remotely, w.t.f. Sam Huff is.

Same with today's pampered athletes.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #675
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cleveland Browns fire personnel czar Sashi Brown

Is this move similar to the one the Sixers made? Are they abandoning the "Process" for a more traditional "football man"?

Something has to change and at this point, I am willing to give Jackson another season. With the front offices taking a more active role in decisions on the field, I don't know how much blame to put on the coaching staff.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #676
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I assume they hire Kevin Costner now?

He can hardly do worse and he might be able to act like a GM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #677
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Without the game, none of us would have the slightest idea, nor care remotely, w.t.f. Sam Huff is.

Same with today's pampered athletes.

Too bad if he doesn't know who he is.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #678
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sashi Brown fired for doing exactly what a rebuilding team should. Wentz obv way better than expected but you could make a case that a dozen teams misfired on that opportunity. Watson probably is going to be great but need to see a bit more than 5-6 games. Garrett looks like an obvious stud. If he stays healthy he's easily a 100+ sack type talent.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #679
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ryan Shazier Undergoes Spinal Surgery; Reportedly May Not Play Football Again | Bleacher Report
Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #680
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah he probably should go into coaching. Humongous loss and all but guarantees that Big Ben will never win another super bowl
Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #681
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wasn’t there clearly time on the clock right there when the refs blew the whistle?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #682
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Penalties, injuries, and obviously tired players. Thursday Night Football at its most typical. Feel bad for any non-fans of those teams that sat through that game.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #683
Logan
Head Coach

That INT saved the shit out of Dan Quinn for that moronic decision to decline the penalty.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #684
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That INT saved the shit out of Dan Quinn for that moronic decision to decline the penalty.

With the play they ran on 3rd down you knew they were going for it on 4th. Take the penalty, make it a 50 yarder if you stop them on the next play.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #685
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
With the play they ran on 3rd down you knew they were going for it on 4th. Take the penalty, make it a 50 yarder if you stop them on the next play.

I saw a good line on Twitter. It was something like "Dan Quinn declined that penalty because Dan Quinn would have kicked it on 4th down".

edit: Found it.

Last edited by Logan : 12-08-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #686
sabotai
General Manager

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-not-working/

Quote:
Picture this common scene on a Sunday afternoon. Your team could really use a scoring drive to turn the tide. On a 3rd-and-10, before the quarterback is even pressured, he quickly throws a 2-yard pass, and the receiver is tackled a few yards later to bring up fourth down. The crowd grumbles, the offense casually jogs off the field and the punting unit comes on. Better luck next time.

Sure, once in a blue moon the offense may throw a bubble screen on 3rd-and-33 and end up with a 52-yard touchdown, like the Rams did with Robert Woods against the Giants in Week 9 this season. But that is the rarest of exceptions.

Generally, safe passes like that don’t accomplish much, and we have the data to back that up. How does that 2-yard pass on 3rd-and-10 work out? According to the ESPN Stats & Information Group, quarterback passes thrown no more than 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage on third down with at least 10 yards to go have been converted only 10.9 percent of the time this season. On throws that travel at least 10 yards, quarterbacks have converted 38.6 percent of the time. So an offense can more than triple its conversion rate just by doing the most obvious thing when trying to move the chains: throwing the ball past the imaginary yellow line on your TV screen.

And yet despite this, NFL teams are leaning on the short pass more than ever. The same league that transformed into a passing league over the past 10 years is slowing morphing into something else: the dump-off league.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #687
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

How often is that downfield pass intercepted. Need to also show the increased risk before making that claim.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #688
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
How often is that downfield pass intercepted. Need to also show the increased risk before making that claim.

That risk only changes field position though. A failed 3rd down conversion is almost literally the same thing as a turnover.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #689
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That risk only changes field position though. A failed 3rd down conversion is almost literally the same thing as a turnover.

It's a field position switch that:

1. Will almost certainly be 20 yards closer to the opponent's end zone
2. Gives the opponent more game time to score (if near end of game or half)
3. Gives the opponent a solid opportunity to return a touchdown when closer to the end zone and amidst the play chaos of a turnover and against offensive players unused to tackling, as opposed to the punt return risk in a set special teams play further up the field.

Those are significant downsides to increasing the chances for an interception.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-09-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #690
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Good points. Would love to see stats on interception rates. Can't imagine you're talking about a more than 10% greater chance, and the conversion rates have interceptions baked into them already (those would be failures to convert on third down), they just don't address field position / greater return TD chance.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #691
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

There are a lot of factors that go into it. Will the extra 5 yards make it an easy field goal? Will it at least put you in position to pin the other team deep with a punt? Are you the Cleveland Browns? Many factors.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #692
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
On throws that travel at least 10 yards, quarterbacks have converted 38.6 percent of the time. So an offense can more than triple its conversion rate just by doing the most obvious thing when trying to move the chains: throwing the ball past the imaginary yellow line on your TV screen.

But how many of those short passes are thrown because the route beyond the sticks are covered? If teams went with the "We absolutely have to throw beyond the sticks," the conversion rate on those passes would plummet along with an increase in interceptions and sacks.

EDIT: The other thing that seems like it's getting ignored is if the 10+ yard pass isn't open then at least gaining something is still better than an incompletion. The 6 yard gain on 3rd and ten may give your kicker a better chance to hit the FG or be the difference between the other team getting into FG range or not on their next possession.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-10-2017 at 12:05 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #693
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That Buffalo Snowstorm....
Old 12-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #694
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

When even the Lord of Snow Kicking Adam Vinatieri can't hit a 33 yard FG, you know it's a huge snowstorm/windstorm
Old 12-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #695
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Could be a big day for Shady, if he can repeat what he did against the Lions in the snow.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #696
Atocep
Coordinator

John Fox won a challenge. Truly, anything is possible.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #697
MrBug708
Head Coach

I hope the Browns buy into the Rosen negativity and pass on him so he can end up in New York. Even if the team is probably in bigger shambles. A jew on the Giants just makes too much sense.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-10-2017 at 02:56 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #698
PilotMan
Head Coach

Cincy looked about as bad as I've seen them look this year. It's like the gas tank is fully on E and the season and injuries have just finished them off.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #699
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sean McDermott continues to make bizarre decisions. What good does a tie do in that situation? Almost like the Bills aren’t trying to make the playoffs.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #700
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That Buffalo Snowstorm....

Just now saw this.

Crazy.