Coordinator

Nebraska beats Indiana. Wow.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #102
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa getting waxed by Purdue. Just killed. They started on fire. I think it was 21-4 early in the 1st half. We havent recovered.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #103
MrBug708
Head Coach

Down goes ucla
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #104
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Nebraska beats Indiana. Wow.

Didn't get to watch the game, then had the result spoiled while watching IU's bowl game against Utah. Tough day for IU fans.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #105
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
UConn women have won 83 in a row after beating #2 ND last night.

Wow

87 in a row after the victory tonight at #4 Maryland.

Will probably take in the game when they come to town to play USF.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #106
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Wonder when was the last time Duke and UNC lost to unranked teams on the same day?
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:15 PM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pastnermania runnin' wild
Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #108
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess this goes in here. Gotta love it though.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #109
Atocep
Coordinator

Texas Tech has shot 20 free throws and WVU has shot 6 with 11 minutes left.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #110
Atocep
Coordinator

Duke loses a game and Allen is back in the starting lineup.

Shocking
Old 01-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #111
nol
Banned

Hey, one game is all it takes for Coach K to set him straight. He's a leader of men!
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #112
wustin
College Prospect

Coach K is gonna be out for a month with back surgery. Coach K doesn't have faith in Capel and his already loaded team without Allen.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #113
tarcone
Coordinator

Indiana is reeling right now.

Nebraska is on fire.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #114
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I believe this is long-winded code for "He's fired at the end of the season, so stop asking."

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #115
miami_fan
Coordinator

So the indefinite suspension for Grayson Allen lasted all of one game. Time to draw our own conclusions, right?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #116
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I don't know what conclusion you are suggesting, but I think an important factor is K's leave of absence. It would have been a major distraction to leave that issue for Capel to deal with on a daily basis.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #117
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Indiana is reeling right now.

Nebraska is on fire.

Yeah, not sure what is up with IU. Predictably, the "fire Tom Crean" part of the fanbase is rearing its head again on the IU boards. I think they will iron out the problems and be fine as the Big Ten season continues.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #118
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yeah, not sure what is up with IU. Predictably, the "fire Tom Crean" part of the fanbase is rearing its head again on the IU boards. I think they will iron out the problems and be fine as the Big Ten season continues.

Steve Alford
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #119
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
I don't know what conclusion you are suggesting, but I think an important factor is K's leave of absence. It would have been a major distraction to leave that issue for Capel to deal with on a daily basis.

That's a cop out. It was going to be a distraction no matter what and it's one coach k and Allen brought on the team. Coach k by not handling it before it reached this point and Allen not growing the fuck up despite the shit storm that came with the last incident.

There are multiple ways it could have been handled in his absence to make things easier on Caple, but coming off a loss and looking at what happened the last time coach k was out an extended time it was easy to see his reinstatement coming.

All this does is show that the punishment was about placating the media. It wasnt about helping Allen grow up or punishment for what happened.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #120
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Steve Alford

Never.

I didn't become a fan of IU basketball until 1989 when I started as an undergrad. Didn't pay attention to basketball before then. I have no fondness for Alford. I would rather see Calbert Cheaney become our coach than Alford.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #121
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Crean is an OK coach and has done a fine job rebuilding IU basketball, but you'll be lucky to see a Final 4, probably needing a broken bracket, and will never win the title with him there.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #122
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Steve Alford

I would love to see this happen. Then I would know Indiana wouldnt be a threat in the B1G during and the years after him.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #123
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Crean is an OK coach and has done a fine job rebuilding IU basketball, but you'll be lucky to see a Final 4, probably needing a broken bracket, and will never win the title with him there.

People probably said the same thing about cryin' Jim Boeheim until he finally won one. Took him what, 27 years?

Crean's won 2 of the last 4 Big Ten regular-season championships. I believe he can continue to improve as a coach, and is fully capable of a championship run through the NCAA tournament at some point.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #124
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well he was able to make the final 4 with Marquette. I cant see how that was easier than doing it at Indiana. IMO it would be a huge mistake to get rid of Crean. Just remember where Indiana was when he started.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-05-2017 at 01:14 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #125
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The terrible season for Washington could be Missouri's gain - if Romar gets fired (and even if he doesn't) it might open up the possibility of Michael Porter Jr. and his younger brother Jontay returning to the state and switching their commitments to the Tigers.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post

I am not suggesting anything. MY conclusion is that Coach K has more information than any of us and he believes that one game plus stripping the captaincy plus whatever else happened behind the scenes was enough correct the behavior. That is fine. I would have agreed with that punishment if it occurred after the second incident personally. However, if someone wanted to make the argument that Coach K was going soft on Allen because of the effect Allen's absence would have on wins and losses and didn't really give a damn about whether Allen tripped someone or not I couldn't really argue with that conclusion either. My point was that right or wrong, the precedent has been set and it is more in line with Coach K's comments all the way up to the post game interview after the third incident than with the comments made the next day when the suspension was announced.

The idea of this being a distraction to Capel is laughable. Coach K established that punishment. Coach K was the only person who was going lift the punishment. A statement stating just that from Coach K neutered any argument to the contrary. If something happens with Allen or another player while Coach K is out, no one is asking Capel what sort of discipline he will be dishing out. We will all know the discipline will be Coach K's call.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #127
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
People probably said the same thing about cryin' Jim Boeheim until he finally won one. Took him what, 27 years?

Crean's won 2 of the last 4 Big Ten regular-season championships. I believe he can continue to improve as a coach, and is fully capable of a championship run through the NCAA tournament at some point.

I wasn't comparing Crean to anybody so stop crying.

He had D Wade to help him get to the Final 4. He can also recruit just fine, but he can't coach up a group of guys to overcome in the high pressure tournament where you gotta face at least 3 equal teams to win a title. If you love Crean, great! There is nothing wrong with him if you like Big10 titles, Sweet 16s and Elite 8s. If you are a blue blood and want titles, it is time to move on.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 01-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #128
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not sure where I was crying, but--sure!

I don't love Crean, and I don't hate him. I think he is a good guy and is capable of winning it all some day. Doesn't mean he will, but I think it is a real possibility. Even good teams need to get a little lucky to win it all. I try not to melt down like many Hoosier fans do when we hit a bad streak. I also try not to get too high when we beat Kansas and North Carolina.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-05-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #129
Butter
Coordinator

Wait, is Kodos Jim Boeheim?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #130
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Wait, is Kodos Jim Boeheim?

Please, Dear God. No! (I hate the guy.)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #131
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Please, Dear God. No! (I hate the guy.)

2013 Sweet 16 says Hi!

Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #132
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

As a Badgers fan I hope Cream is there forever. He could use some sportsmanship classes though.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #133
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
2013 Sweet 16 says Hi!

Sanctions against SU basketball say Hi!
Old 01-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #134
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Indiana fans want to bring up sanctions? Bold move!

Old 01-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #135
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Was at the IU-Wisconsin game. Wisconsin just came out hot, but the IU kids managed to get it back, that bench really came through for them and kept them in it because the starters just weren't getting much done.

Crean doesn't seem to be much of an adjustments coach at all...they just seem to come out, but they don't have the type of athletes that are going to blow you out of a gym anyway, just grinders.

They're a strange team to watch, but I wasn't sure whether to attribute that to B1G basketball or something else.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #136
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Indiana fans want to bring up sanctions? Bold move!

Sorry, but SU's infractions were much worse than IU's. And I was against the hiring of Sampson (a known cheater) from day 1. We deserved what we got, and so did SU.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-05-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The terrible season for Washington could be Missouri's gain - if Romar gets fired (and even if he doesn't) it might open up the possibility of Michael Porter Jr. and his younger brother Jontay returning to the state and switching their commitments to the Tigers.

They actually talked about that on local radio this morning. The person said if Romar is gone, the Porter brothers won't be going there. No guarantee that they'd end up in Mizzou, but they'd definitely not be going to Washington.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #138
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They actually talked about that on local radio this morning. The person said if Romar is gone, the Porter brothers won't be going there. No guarantee that they'd end up in Mizzou, but they'd definitely not be going to Washington.
At this point there are two main reasons to not fire Romar:

- The UW Athletic Department has gone in the red the past two seasons, so buying out Romar and bringing in a new staff could be an undue strain on the finances - especially when long-promised basketball facilities improvements still haven't gotten funded

- Michael Porter Jr.

As much as this team appears to be underachieving, it's hard to believe they wouldn't be a tournament team next year with the guys that return and adding MPJr and the rest of an outstanding recruiting class.

But yeah, if Romar is gone, seems like the Porters would bolt. Unless they just completely fall in love with the area while they're here, Romar urges them to stay and the new coach does a great job re-recruiting them.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #139
tarcone
Coordinator

You guys need to watch Iowa play. They are young and agressive and play fast.

Its a fun team to watch. They are playing Nebby right now and are up by one with 5 minutes left in the 1st.

Some of the play has been outstanding.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #140
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Its a fun team to watch. They are playing Nebby right now and are up by one with 5 minutes left in the 1st.

I refuse to watch the Hawkeyes without Tom Davis coaching and without Les Jepson. Dr Tom actually put together some nice teams in the late 80s/early 90s.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #141
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I refuse to watch the Hawkeyes without Tom Davis coaching and without Les Jepson. Dr Tom actually put together some nice teams in the late 80s/early 90s.

Dr. Tom was a nice guy. But he lived on Ravelings recruits. Dr. Tom recruited okay, but with Ravelings recruits and Dr. Toms system we had one of the best teams in the nation. Until they folded against UNLV in the elite 8. Still kills me.

This young group will do better. It is a really good group of players. We start 4 freshmen. And the all bring something.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #142
tarcone
Coordinator

WOW.
Tie game. Iowa ball. 13 seconds left. Jok scored 16 in a row at one point.
Jok loses the ball with 4 seconds left. Nebby running. Dude gets fouled with 1.3 seconds left. Nebby is 8 for 18 from the line. Dude misses both

OVERTIME

Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #143
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa loses 93-90 in double OT. Man, I love this team.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #144
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Don't forget their douchey coach!
Old 01-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #145
tarcone
Coordinator

If you think McCaffery is douchey you should see Miles from Nebby. He makes our guy look like a saint.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #146
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, but SU's infractions were much worse than IU's. And I was against the hiring of Sampson (a known cheater) from day 1. We deserved what we got, and so did SU.

There is no way this is true. Cuse did the following:
1) A guy completely unrelated to the program gave 5-6 guys, only 2 or 3 from the hoops team, each less than $1500 to ref and work the scoreboard at YMCA games about 35 minutes from campus, over the course of a year.
2) Fab Melo cheated on a paper. Cuse suspended him when they found out. The NCAA cleared him so we reinstated him. The NCAA then uncleared him so we suspended him from the NCAA tournament where we were a 1 seed and a co-favorite to win it. We lost in the Elite 8.
3) Drug testing is not mandatory, but we chose to do it anyway and did not tell Mom and Dad when a few kids were caught smoking weed for the 1st time. The horror! Again, drug testing was not mandatory!

Cuse self reported all of this in 2007! The NCAA dug through the program for 7+ years after the self reporting and came up with nothing else. They left us dangling in the wind for 7 years!

All benefits were for existing players (at the time, no recruits), one of which was suspended for the tournament.

Cuse's punishment was way harsher than anything before. Cuse also self banned from the tournament, which sure, they were only a bubble team, but they were one last year too and made the F4.

Indiana cheated at recruiting, the number 1 no-no in the NCAA and then the coach lied about it. Did Indiana even get a 1 year post season ban?

Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #147
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, you are way underselling #2. As a result of finding the Fab Melo cheating, a number of other incidents of cheating or getting inappropriate "help" were discovered.

But just keep on, I'm sure Boeheim was clean as a whistle, and playing "who's NCAA penalties were more deserved" is a fun game and quality look.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #148
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Dawgs and the Tigers are showing real passion in their game today.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Dawgs and the Tigers are showing real passion in their game today.

Apparently the coaching staffs had more passion than the players judging from the fight.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #150
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Yeah, you are way underselling #2. As a result of finding the Fab Melo cheating, a number of other incidents of cheating or getting inappropriate "help" were discovered.

But just keep on, I'm sure Boeheim was clean as a whistle, and playing "who's NCAA penalties were more deserved" is a fun game and quality look.

Hey, at least I admitted we deserved what we got. I still can't believe we ever hired Samscum.