Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think people need to lighten up as well, that being said I can see people being offended, and someone in his position with his recent history probably shouldn't have said it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #152
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

People DO need to lighten up a bit, but university presidents need to show MUCH better judgement.

I'm sure he wouldn't think it was quite as funny if you laughed up his exact wordage, substituting "Mormon" for "Catholic."

Hopefully this turns off a few Catholic football recruits.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #153
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
People DO need to lighten up a bit, but university presidents need to show MUCH better judgement.

I'm sure he wouldn't think it was quite as funny if you laughed up his exact wordage, substituting "Mormon" for "Catholic."

Hopefully this turns off a few Catholic football recruits.

This is a much better summation of the situation. I agree with this.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #154
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It depends on what context I suppose. I wisecrack things about my Catholic brother-in-law. We wisecrack about having to give out brown bags at the winery so the Baptists don't see your booze. People don't spend enough time laughing at themselves IMO.

Should he have said it given his position? Probably not. Is it to the level that you sugguest? Absolutely not.

It's one thing to wisecrack about something in jest. It's another thing to be an ignorant douchebag who says whatever is on his mind at the time with no regard for consequences. I guarantee if he said something about gays/lesbians or skin color people would be up in arms over it. But I guess since it is just Catholics it's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #155
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

dola

And to follow up on my above statements, I am Catholic and not particularly offended by what he said at all. However, I do get tired of the double-standard that is thrown around in public discourse; some things are ok to say and some aren't, it just depends on the mood of society and who is in political office at the time. If it is a jerky thing to say then don't say it, regardless of who thinks it's funny or "not a big deal".

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #156
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
This is a much better summation of the situation. I agree with this.

I'm glad you got it, otherwise I was going to tell you to learn to read and write so then you could figure out what we're talking about.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #157
Butter
Coordinator

Glad all the Michigan fans are finding some way to fill their summer.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #158
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Who said I was a Michigan fan?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #159
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

This comes off as sour grapes.

What he said was stupid, plain and simple. Do Michigan fans take some joy in it, likely, but don't act like it's just Michigan fans raising a ruckus because it is the president of OSU.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #160
Butter
Coordinator

Of the 7 people posting on the subject, we've got Matthean, RomaGoth, and M GO BLUE!!! And me, who doesn't count. And mckerney, who is also a rival B1G fan.

Is Gee an idiot? Sure. There are many reasons he deserves to be fired. But they are certainly not going to be in this thread commenting if this was anyone but Gee.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #161
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Of the 7 people posting on the subject, we've got Matthean, RomaGoth, and M GO BLUE!!! And me, who doesn't count. And mckerney, who is also a rival B1G fan.

Is Gee an idiot? Sure. There are many reasons he deserves to be fired. But they are certainly not going to be in this thread commenting if this was anyone but Gee.

I happen to think Gee does not deserve to be fired. I want him in Columbus forever. Give him a raise & a 24/7 open mic!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #162
molson
General Manager

Quote:

But they are certainly not going to be in this thread commenting if this was anyone but Gee.

It's impossible to know that because it doesn't happen. He's one of a kind among college presidents. I think he might be deteriorating mentally or something. I think if anything, he gets the benefit of the doubt and this is less of a big deal because he's such a joke.

Last edited by molson : 05-31-2013 at 02:52 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #163
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I happen to think Gee does not deserve to be fired. I want him in Columbus forever. Give him a raise & a 24/7 open mic!

this

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #164
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

This has nothing to do with liking Michigan or Illinois or Iowa or any other school in the Big 10. This is all about how much of a senile old man your school president is.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #165
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Maybe he was still reeling from his "Little Sisters of the Poor" statements.

LSUFreek needs to do an animated gif of him and his bowtie, making it spin as a hypnotizing agent of evil.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe the members of the Board of Trustees at tOSU are Michigan fans too.

Gordon Gee has 'embarrassed' Ohio State Buckeyes, trustees say - ESPN

The interesting thing about this to me is that the Board appears -- based on the March 11th date of their letter that's reference in the article -- to have taken him to task before this latest incident started making heavy headlines.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #167
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That letter is just theatre for the outside world. Any real criticisms of Gee wouldn't have been put into a letter like that. They said what they need to to appear sensitive and Gee knows he as their support.

I can only imagine how much fun it would be if every president's comments to athletic donors were aired publicly. I imagine this is pretty tame stuff.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #168
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I can only imagine how much fun it would be if every president's comments to athletic donors were aired publicly. I imagine this is pretty tame stuff.

True, and I wonder how much fun it would be if more universities had Orville Redenbacher as their president.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #169
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
True, and I wonder how much fun it would be if more universities had Orville Redenbacher as their president.

Please don't insult the popcorn gods.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #170
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Please don't insult the popcorn gods.

My apologies.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #171
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Sure, but every other person of that position knows his environment and knows when to act like a president. On the golf course with 3 big donors, I'm sure plenty say much worse stuff. At an official university meeting attended by students and professors, every other president has the ability to act like a president. Even the snark about bashing the academics of other schools, it's just beneath that position. It makes Ohio St. seem lower rent. It's also kind of weird to have a college president who is so openly into the athletic program, who talks like a sports talk radio host or frat boy superfan. After Penn St. and the NCAA's current meltdown, I think a president should be a little more distant from the athletic program as not to emphasize so much that sports are the only thing that matters at the school.

Edit: How many college presidents could you identify? I could only identify one, this guy, and I have no connection to any Big 10 school. I don't even know who my own alma mater's president is these days without looking it up. Maybe that's good for branding, I don't know, but I'm sure plenty aren't thrilled with having the goofball president that everyone knows because he's so wacky.

Last edited by molson : 05-31-2013 at 04:15 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #172
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Sure, but every other person of that position knows his environment and knows when to act like a president. On the golf course with 3 big donors, I'm sure plenty say much worse stuff. At an official university meeting attended by students and professors, every other president has the ability to act like a president. Even the snark about bashing the academics of other schools, it's just beneath that position. It makes Ohio St. seem lower rent. It's also kind of weird to have a college president who is so openly into the athletic program, who talks like a sports talk radio host or frat boy superfan. After Penn St. and the NCAA's current meltdown, I think a president should be a little more distant from the athletic program as not to emphasize so much that sports are the only thing that matters at the school.

To be fair, he does show up at student pep rallies and dorm pizza parties. Or so I have heard.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #173
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

So I finally just listened to the audio of Gee's statements. Wow, what an asshole. From his tone of voice, the remarks about Catholics was not meant to be funny but he later tried to bend it that way to cover his own ass. Then he went on to throw Louisville, Kentucky, the SEC, and Brent Bielema (called him a thug - WTF?) under the bus.

This guy needs to be reigned in before he finds himself in more trouble than he can get out of.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #174
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
To be fair, he does show up at student pep rallies and dorm pizza parties. Or so I have heard.

Well, chyeah, free pizza!
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #175
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Gee's comments are offensive, insensitive and at least 3 layers below his title dictates.

He's a blow hard, old school elitist who thinks hes beyond reproach.

That said, meh.
It's Ohio State...he fits in
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #176
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Edit: How many college presidents could you identify? I could only identify one, this guy, and I have no connection to any Big 10 school. I don't even know who my own alma mater's president is these days without looking it up. Maybe that's good for branding, I don't know, but I'm sure plenty aren't thrilled with having the goofball president that everyone knows because he's so wacky.

He was rehired largely because of his work/affinity for athletics. OSU got exactly what they were after, top football and basketball teams and improved athletic facilities. I don't think that's what OSU should value in a president, but they don't seem to care about my opinion. I just think the board's "disciplining" of Gee is mostly for PR cover. If they were really unhappy with him they'd fire him, but overall he's done exactly what they wanted.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #177
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Gee's comments are offensive, insensitive and at least 3 layers below his title dictates.

He's a blow hard, old school elitist who thinks hes beyond reproach.

That said, meh.
It's Ohio State...he fits in

TRUTH
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #178
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Women's team in the softball tournament. #1 recruiting class in football so far with potentially more to come. Highest average in all sports in terms of standings in the Big Ten with 5 titles and two national titles. Yeah, Michigan fans are really looking to fill their summer.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #179
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Women's team in the softball tournament. #1 recruiting class in football so far with potentially more to come. Highest average in all sports in terms of standings in the Big Ten with 5 titles and two national titles. Yeah, Michigan fans are really looking to fill their summer.

Women's softball, shit. You really put me in my place.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #180
Kodos
Resident Alien

IU unveiled a bunch of helmet designs yesterday. The candy-striped one is chrome...

Give me the Block I, please. The second from the right is the state flag for Indiana.

Here's a closer look at the chrome monstrosity. I hope we aren't turning into Oregon.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-04-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #181
BYU 14
Coordinator

The chrome is horrid, but I like the helmet with the number on the side, has a nice old school look to it.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dear Lord, that chrome is hideous.

It looks like somebody stuck a Christmas candy on his head.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #183
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

There's a video of the unveiling and you kind of have to feel sorry for the guy who got the chrome helmet. You can tell he really doesn't want to be wearing it and then he goes out and gets a lukewarm reception at best.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #184
Kodos
Resident Alien

Actually, it seems like the chrome one was the most popular with the team. I personally think it is awful.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #185
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

And to follow up on my above statements, I am Catholic and not particularly offended by what he said at all. However, I do get tired of the double-standard that is thrown around in public discourse; some things are ok to say and some aren't, it just depends on the mood of society and who is in political office at the time. If it is a jerky thing to say then don't say it, regardless of who thinks it's funny or "not a big deal".

Really? "double standard"? You want to go down THAT road defending Catholics? They invented the fucking term.

Was he insulting Catholics? Perhaps, but then again what he says has been shown to be true over time. Every Catholic is a paragon of virtue on Sunday, they're all too typically human the rest of the time. Is it wrong to state an obvious truth?

The jab at the SEC is probably far more insulting as some SEC schools have fantastic academic histories, that's more of a competitor's jab than anything reality based.

What it really boils down to is that no matter anyone's position, we're all human beings. We have every right to act and do as we please. People in turn have every right to be offended. Doesn't give you me or anyone else the right to affect anyone's life over it.

Everyone has the right to BE offended. Embrace it and stop crying about what "that old dude said about my school/religion/conference!!!"

Fucking crybabies.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #186
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess there is speculation that the chrome one will be used in night games. I hope it's not at the Mizzou game, as I am likely to be at that game. Give me the classic Block I.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #187
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It looks like somebody stuck a Christmas candy on his head.

"Son, you've got a panty on your head."
Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #188
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Actually, it seems like the chrome one was the most popular with the team. I personally think it is awful.

Chrome stripes is hideous, I actually kinda like the state flag design. It catches your attention.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #189
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Really? "double standard"? You want to go down THAT road defending Catholics? They invented the fucking term.

Was he insulting Catholics? Perhaps, but then again what he says has been shown to be true over time. Every Catholic is a paragon of virtue on Sunday, they're all too typically human the rest of the time. Is it wrong to state an obvious truth?

The jab at the SEC is probably far more insulting as some SEC schools have fantastic academic histories, that's more of a competitor's jab than anything reality based.

What it really boils down to is that no matter anyone's position, we're all human beings. We have every right to act and do as we please. People in turn have every right to be offended. Doesn't give you me or anyone else the right to affect anyone's life over it.

Everyone has the right to BE offended. Embrace it and stop crying about what "that old dude said about my school/religion/conference!!!"

Fucking crybabies.

Ah yes rendeR being rendeR.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
What it really boils down to is that no matter anyone's position, we're all human beings. We have every right to act and do as we please. People in turn have every right to be offended.

You were doing okay right up until ...

Quote:
Doesn't give you me or anyone else the right to affect anyone's life over it.

(the royal) I have every right to respond to an offense as I see fit. That follows right along with everything else you said up to that point.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I guess there is speculation that the chrome one will be used in night games. I hope it's not at the Mizzou game, as I am likely to be at that game. Give me the classic Block I.

Been considering road-tripping for that game along with some of my STL friends. I know a lot of Mizzou fans have been snapping up tickets for that game, so it should be a fun atmosphere.

Any tailgating at the games at IU?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #192
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Been considering road-tripping for that game along with some of my STL friends. I know a lot of Mizzou fans have been snapping up tickets for that game, so it should be a fun atmosphere.

Any tailgating at the games at IU?

Definitely. Although I have not been to a game at IU since 1994 or so. Kickoff is a 8 p.m., just in case you weren't aware.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-04-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #193
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Women's softball, shit. You really put me in my place.
It's actually pretty damn entertaining to watch, which you might know already if Ohio State weren't so decidedly mediocre at it.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #194
MrBug708
Head Coach

Softball is 100x more entertaining than baseball is on the college level.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
It's actually pretty damn entertaining to watch, which you might know already if Ohio State weren't so decidedly mediocre at it.

Softball is very popular right now. The NCAA softball games on the ESPN networks are outdrawing the NHL playoff games by a 2:1 or even 3:1 margin when up against each other.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #196
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Softball is very popular right now. The NCAA softball games on the ESPN networks are outdrawing the NHL playoff games by a 2:1 or even 3:1 margin when up against each other.

Agree with the sentiment. At the same time, wouldn't ya think that some of that advantage is due to the bars that have a TV tuned in to ESPN at all times?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #197
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

All of that damn singing they do is annoying.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #198
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Funny someone once told me:

Quote:
If you're interested in talking about women's diving, golf, and softball, go right ahead. With all due respect to those other sports, 99% of the general population couldn't give a flying rip about anything outside of the big two sports.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #199
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Agree with the sentiment. At the same time, wouldn't ya think that some of that advantage is due to the bars that have a TV tuned in to ESPN at all times?

I don't believe that to be the reason. But if it is, how sad is it that those bars don't turn on the NHL playoffs on the other screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Funny someone once told me:

Which is generally still true. You're still playing to the 1%, but there is 1% to be had. The exposure produced by the conference networks helps somewhat.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-04-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #200
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I don't believe that to be the reason. But if it is, how sad is it that those bars don't turn on the NHL playoffs on the other screens?

Most bars just default to what's on ESPN unless someone asks.