Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

2013 College Football Offseason thread

Didn't see one outside of the recruiting thread so thought Id start one.
Hearing rumblings that LSU head coach Les Miles will be resigning Monday AM after being caught Friday on campus with a 19 year old female African American student. Not sure why race even matters but the source I heard it from mentioned it repeatedly....any other NCAA boards rumbling?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 03-02-2013 at 07:59 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

LSU resigning from what? SEC?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I have heard the Les thing as well. We'll see.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Tigercat
College Starter

All signs point to a false rumor spread by a WKU journalism student, picked up as probable by the wonderful world of social media and message boards. What a world!

On to real news, it got little national play so some of y'all may have missed it, but Miles hired Cam Cameron to be the new OC. LSU finally got the OC/QB coach they'be been missing since Jumbo Fisher left.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

You mean the guy who said his team was smart for firing him?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
You mean the guy who said his team was smart for firing him?

Yup. He struggled as head coach of the dolphins as well. I hear even guys with those kind of experiences in the NFL can still have some success on the college level...? That's what I've heard at least, you might know better than I.

Seen positive quotes from Brees and Rivers on how he aided their development, Brees has been especially complimentary. And developing them at that level is a lot harder than at the college level. One of the best QB coaches they could have gotten, IMO. With that in place, some level of success as an OC should be easy to attain with his experience in college and the pros.

Last edited by Tigercat : 03-03-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still surprised Denard made it that far and that Johnny Football isn't the one he's going up against.

University of Michigan Official Athletic Site
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

CU,
Any thoughts on Clemson agreeing to play a Thursday night game? Is it a student break or something?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm still surprised Denard made it that far and that Johnny Football isn't the one he's going up against.

Are you talking about the NCAA football game cover vote?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Yup. He struggled as head coach of the dolphins as well. I hear even guys with those kind of experiences in the NFL can still have some success on the college level...? That's what I've heard at least, you might know better than I.

Seen positive quotes from Brees and Rivers on how he aided their development, Brees has been especially complimentary. And developing them at that level is a lot harder than at the college level. One of the best QB coaches they could have gotten, IMO. With that in place, some level of success as an OC should be easy to attain with his experience in college and the pros.

Cameron never managed a winning season at IU despite having an offense led by Antwaan Randle El.

Maybe he's a better OC than HC.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Are you talking about the NCAA football game cover vote?

Yes.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes.

From the looks of it, they started off by having people vote for the school and then at some point they attached former "student-athletes" to the schools.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Cameron never managed a winning season at IU despite having an offense led by Antwaan Randle El.

I think there's no question he's not a good HC between IU and Miami. However, the man has developed a lot of prolific QB's and led a lot of top 10 offenses. That's what has me excited as an LSU fan. We have good quarterback talent, we just haven't had a high-level QB coach since Jimbo Fisher left
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Lots of guys are like that. Even given only one year and what he had to work with for the Dolphins, thought he did a rather poor overall job there as well. Again, I am not even worried if he is a great OC, as long as he can coach up the QBs at LSU. If Jarett Lee had a good QB coach during his time at LSU, I would bet the NC game last year would have been entirely different.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Lee played about as well as he could have versus 'Bama. It's their D at the end that killed their chances.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Lee played about as well as he could have versus 'Bama. It's their D at the end that killed their chances.

He didn't play in the NC game, and in the regular season game that year he was horrible against Bama. He had some serious talent in that arm, but never had a real QB coach at LSU, unfortunately. Will be curious if he ever plays professional football anywhere. (He was on a NFL practice squad last year.) Jefferson, on the other hand, probably wouldn't have ever been better than pretty good, even with a good QB coach.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
If Jarett Lee had a good QB coach during his time at LSU, I would bet the NC game last year would have been entirely different.

Wait, how would the NC game last year been different when he was in the NFL? Mettenberger was their QB last year. Two years ago I would make the argument that I don't even think a better QB coach would of made that much of a difference. LSU's offense sucked twice against 'Bama even with Lee involved and historically speaking you beat Saban teams at 'Bama via the run. During the NC game the play calling was likely more to blame than anything. Lee didn't even play in the game and that could be blamed on Miles as much as anybody. Hell, if 'Bama's kickers didn't put up the performance they did in the first game, LSU might not have even been in the title game.

FYI, since you said last year, I didn't catch that you likely were talking about the year before.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
cschex
High School Varsity

LSU wouldn't have gotten the same mulligan Bama got for losing on the road (as opposed to at home) in 2011? Probably not, but there is no question that they were the two best teams that year. FWIW, I agree with you on the title game because the play calling was just so uninspired , along with the play of the team. A different QB wouldn't have made a huge difference
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Not big name for most of you...but BYU announced a Home and Home with UCONN for 2014/2015 starting at UCONN in 2014.

I am excited for the 2014 game, that is close to a 6 hour drive for me and I will be there for it.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 03-05-2013 at 10:06 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:

Current student athletes are not allowed to have their images associated with a money-making product, such as the EA Sports football game series. The children! Think of the poor children!
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Gardner gets another year so Michigan gets even more time to develop him and Morris can be groomed slowly.

Michigan QB Gardner granted extra year - Big Ten Blog - ESPN
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I wish there was a year deadline to file these or let the player decide to file. The whole idea of waiting to see if the player is worth the scholarship is a little shady.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #23
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A shock to no one.

Gunner Kiel to transfer from Notre Dame Fighting Irish, source says - ESPN
Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
BYU 14
Coordinator

Indiana is probably sounding pretty good to Kiel about now.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

Indiana probably can do better than Kiel
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was just looking at Washingtons schedule for next year and realized we play at Illinois in Chicago on 9/14. Negotiations have just begun with my wife.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
MrBug708
Head Coach

Seferian-Jenkins arrested for DUI
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Seferian-Jenkins arrested for DUI

For real?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
For real?

Even got HuffPo coverage

Austin Seferian-Jenkins Arrested For DUI: Washington Tight End Released From Precinct Office
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I like how they made sure to show a game pic of him dropping the ball for this story.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Not good. It appears he drove off the road into a ditch and banged his face pretty hard on the windshield or dash. Unclear at this point if others were in the car.

I know the spot where it happened (it's less than a 5-minute walk from my house) - it's a 90 degree curve at the bottom of a hilly drive, bordering a park. My guess is he was buzzed, going too fast & lost control of the car. Doesn't sound like he hit anyone else (but details keep leaking out, so who knows); does seem pretty clear he was driving rather than the passenger.

Pretty clear cross-roads here for ASJ. He has 1st round NFL potential, but he's now got one significant strike. Does he get the message and keep his nose clean from here on out, or does he continue to be reckless? For a guy who should be one of the leaders of the team, not a smart move.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah I hope he was just buzzed and not drunk.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #34
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah I hope he was just buzzed and not drunk.
In Washington any minor above a 0.02 is considered "under the influence".
Old 03-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #35
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
CU,
Any thoughts on Clemson agreeing to play a Thursday night game? Is it a student break or something?

Shrug.
New AD flexed his muscle a bit. He will understand after the debacle why it's specifically a bad idea in CLEMSON. I have a private parking spot not on campus property that i own, so it won't kill me. But it will be chaos, again.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

How do you own a private parking spot?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's at a business he owns?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #38
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty minor news, except that IIRC former Tucker HS star Thomas Brown was featured in one of the HS football threads here a number of years ago. He's reportedly leaving Ga State as RB coach to take the same job at Marshall. Thomas Brown resigning from Georgia State | www.ajc.com
Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #39
QuikSand
lolzcat

How fast dat boy run again?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Pretty minor news, except that IIRC former Tucker HS star Thomas Brown was featured in one of the HS football threads here a number of years ago. He's reportedly leaving Ga State as RB coach to take the same job at Marshall. Thomas Brown resigning from Georgia State | www.ajc.com

I doubt anyone is interested but the chain of events that led to this was WVU lost former Gator Robert Gillespie to Tennessee as running backs coach, WVU filled that spot with Marshall running backs coach and former WVU player JaJuan Seider, and Marshall filled their spot with Brown.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
It's at a business he owns?

On a college campus?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #42
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
On a college campus?

"I have a private parking spot not on campus property that i own..."
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

Don't be obtuse
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #44
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Directly across from Clemson's stadium just off campus a good friend of mine who is a local developer had a brilliant idea. He bought 3 acres of dirt and made it a parking lot suitable for 150 parking spaces. Added really nice bathrooms and a huge covered party area with TVs, a gas log fireplace, grills and some other nice ammenities.

Then he sold those parking spots for $25,000 each. Complete with a deed to your ~11' x 25' piece of land.

I own the parking spot, and can sell it at a later date. I have a guaranted parking spot for anything I want to do in Clemson forever, and its inisde a gated and number pad accessed fence. I was able to reduce my iptay contribution by $2500/year as primo parking was no longr and issue, I sell my el cheapo parking spot for $500- $1,000 a year and the ROI is incredible. Add in its a real state transactuon interest was tax deductible..and viola

And Tom W made about 3 mil on a 200k investment.

Tom Winkopp Realtor/Developer, LLC Developing our community's potential

And if one owned an electrical contracting business one could probably trade some minor electrical work for spot..

Last edited by CU Tiger : 03-14-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #45
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Jack Ryan, Michigan's leading tackler, has a torn ACL.

Jake Ryan of Michigan Wolverines has torn ACL - ESPN
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #46
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Alabama Crimson Tide, Wisconsin Badgers to play in 2015 season opener - ESPN
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #47
Atocep
Coordinator

Former WVU, New Mexico, JUCO, and current Maryland WR Deon Long suspended 2 weeks for breaking university policy (most likely positive drug test). That means it's already his 2nd offense since arriving on campus and he faces a 1 year suspension if he tests positive again.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #48
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Shell out at Pitt?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ering-transfer

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 03-27-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #49
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

The current rumor is Shell has decided to transfer and is looking at his options. There hasn't been a formal request to transfer yet, but Pitt people are saying it's going to happen soon. He's supposedly been told ASU isn't going to happen so he's interested in UCLA or USC. I'd honestly be surprised if he went that far away from home.

There's another rumor that Deaysean Rippy may be seeking a transfer as well and WVU is a possibility there since he came close to committing to WVU before choosing Pitt and his lead recruiter at Pitt is now coaching at WVU. A couple of the Pitt people seem to think a Rippy and Shell package to WVU is possible although I'm not sure WVU would take Shell. He's got some baggage.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #50
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I don't know how big this is for the ND folks

Davonte' Neal, Justin Ferguson to leave Notre Dame Fighting Irish - ESPN