Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wasn't very impressed.

Aside from the obvious unrealistic aspects you can expect from an Indy movie, it just dragged.

The begining was to slow and the end seemed like a rip off from the end of The X Files movie, way to sci-fi for me.

Plus the skull looked like some plastic piece of junk from a dollar store.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #152
Captain2711
High School JV

Shouldn't Indiana's father be alive considering he drank from the holy grail?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #153
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain2711 View Post
Shouldn't Indiana's father be alive considering he drank from the holy grail?

I was debating this with a couple of friends a few days ago. I think we decided that since he didn't stay within the confines of the grail area (i.e. he went past the seal at the entrance to the cave), that any healing he had gotten would stay but he would not live forever.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #154
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And, if you remember, the knight that left the grail area lived a long time, but succumed to natural causes as well.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #155
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Didn't read anyone else's review of the movie previously as I wanted to avoid spoilers.. but went and saw this last night at a drive in. Thought it was ok, I enjoy Indy movies, and am very easy going as far as movie tolerance goes.

It wasn't as good as any of the other Indy movies though for me, but any time i get to cuddle in the back of my SUV with my wife watching a movie isn't that bad of a time regardless
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #156
Captain2711
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And, if you remember, the knight that left the grail area lived a long time, but succumed to natural causes as well.

True, but it was this statement that made me believe that he would live to "extreme old age" that Indiana spoke of in Crusade.

Regardless, I thought the movie was good except for the end, but you could see it coming
Old 05-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #157
MrBug708
Head Coach

SO I saw the movie this week. I generally like most movies I see and very rarely dislike any of them that I see. (I even liked Srgt Bilko) And I thought the movie was cheesy but decent for most of it, but the ending was lame.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #158
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I saw it earlier today with my youngest son - both of us loved it.

Yeah the ending was a bit 'tacked on' - but then you could have said the same about the 'lost ark' and the action packed nature and fun of the rest of the film meant it was ok by me, a great blast
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #159
Lorena
Unregistered

damn, and the guy's still alive? wtf

Last edited by Lorena : 06-08-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #160
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

Harrison Ford did a great job performing his own stunts.. not bad for a 67 year old guy.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #161
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
I loved the movie, but then again I can remember seeing the original Indie movies at the theater. I loved the fact that these movies had the same look, the same feel, and the same low tech graphics of the original movies. I was so afraid that they were going to try to update this movie for a new generation, like they did with the Star Wars movies.

For a older Indie Fan like myself, this movie was the perfect sequal to the series.

Saw it yesterday and this sums up my feelings exactly. I'm turning 40 this year and I have very very few vivid memories of 1981, but Raiders is one of them. I was grinning like a fool throughout the entire movie...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #162
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Shia is now speaking out on “Indiana Jones.” As per the actor’s own words, if the film failed to deliver, as compared with previous installments, it was mostly because of him, because he was not able to rise to the challenge and make of it a good “Indiana” pic.

“I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished. You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven Spielberg, who directed. But the actor’s job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn’t do it. So that’s my fault. Simple,” Shia says of his part of the blame in the most recent film in the long-lived franchise.

He's a punk but Shia is right about his "acting" in Crystal Skull. Along with a stupid plot, he made the movie nearly unwatchable by himself. I would much rather had someone like Justin Long in that role.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #163
kcchief19
Pro Starter

He's right about his acting ... but at the same time you have to chuckle at how he did it. Another way to reword what he said was: "Spielberg handed me a crappy script with a bunch of monkey swinging and things like that but it's my fault because I should be able to overcome poor writing and bad directing."

Shia needs to make a movie where I don't want to punch him before he can even think about taking shots at somebody like Spielberg.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #164
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Shia needs to make a movie where I don't want to punch him before he can even think about taking shots at somebody like Spielberg.

Even though Spielberg deserved getting fired at after this horrible movie, I tend to agree with this statement.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #165
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

By the way word is Lucas is writing a script for Indy 5.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #166
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

this was on cracked the other day:
what starving artists can learn from george lucas

to summarize, anytime he's had free reign he makes a turd.

one of my favorite quotes is lucas on the set of roj when the original director claimed the script stunk, 'people don't care about story. they want a spectacle.'
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Since this was the only appropriate thread I could find....

Does anyone have the new Indiana Jones Blu Ray box?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #168
JediKooter
Coordinator

I do.

Haven't opened it yet. Borderlands 2 kind of delayed it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #169
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yup, got mine late last week as well.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #170
Aylmar
High School Varsity

I don't have the boxed set yet, but I did pay to see Raiders on IMAX. A couple of shots (as you'd expect) that didn't hold up to the screen size, but very very good for the most part.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #171
General Mike
Pro Starter

I have the DVD box set that came out in 2009 (i think) Anyone know if they added anything for blu ray?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #172
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I have the DVD box set that came out in 2009 (i think) Anyone know if they added anything for blu ray?
They cleaned up and improved the image quality of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Having seen the revision, not sure if I'd spend the money.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 AM   #173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

OK...watched this again on Spike. This movie is basically a horrible piece of shit. While 1 and 3 only get better with time, this is like 6 years old and has not aged well at all.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 AM   #174
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah it was terrible when it came out and I can only assume is worse now.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #175
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't even consider this movie to be part of the series. It's that bad.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #176
Kodos
Resident Alien

+1
Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #177
Dutch
"Dutch"

+2
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #178
Buccaneer
Head Coach

+3
Old 08-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #179
kcchief19
Pro Starter

It's bad but it could have been worse. It could have been much better with anyone except Shia Labeouf in the movie. I can't imagine Indiana Jones having a son that douchey.

I loved Raiders for its grittiness, Grail for its humor. But I always though Temple of Doom was incredibly weak and almost as bad as Crystal Skull. The entire movie is Kate Capshaw screaming like a ninny and Short Round yelling, "Doctor Jones! Doctor Jones!" It's horrible.

And yes, I'm reversing myself from my first-watch review in 2008 when I ranked Skull ahead of ToD. The Labeouf thing bothers me more and more. Not crazy about the aliens thing either. I'm putting ToD ahead of Skull, but I still think ToD has massive and serious problems.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 08-31-2014 at 10:31 AM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #180
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
It's bad but it could have been worse. It could have been much better with anyone except Shia Labeouf in the movie. I can't imagine Indiana Jones having a son that douchey.

I loved Raiders for its grittiness, Grail for its humor. But I always though Temple of Doom was incredibly weak and almost as bad as Crystal Skull. The entire movie is Kate Capshaw screaming like a ninny and Short Round yelling, "Doctor Jones! Doctor Jones!" It's horrible.

And yes, I'm reversing myself from my first-watch review in 2008 when I ranked Skull ahead of ToD. The Labeouf thing bothers me more and more. Not crazy about the aliens thing either. I'm putting ToD ahead of Skull, but I still think ToD has massive and serious problems.

You have the exact same thought processes that I have been going through. I waffle between ToD and Skull of being worse (and among the worse movies of all time). How does one compare the truly awfulness of Capshaw vs LeBouf and the Aliens? Right now, I'm putting Skull slightly below because if you take out Capshaw and Short Round, what's left is not terrible (both movies have a nuke the fridge scene, so that's a wash). You take out LeBouf and what you have is a weird Blanchett, overacting Allen and of course, aliens. But tomorrow, I may put Skull ahead. Just disappointing that a series with the legendary Raiders and a great Crusades would also have Doom and Skull.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #181
Kodos
Resident Alien

Indiana Jones 5: Will Harrison Ford be Replaced as the Famous Archaeologist? – Air Herald

Relax guys. They may replace Harrison Ford with.... Robert Pattinson.

I could totally see Chris Pratt being a good option.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pattinson is a good actor. I get that maybe I am the only non-closeted Twilight fan here, but he commands the screen.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #183
Blackadar
Retired

I'd prefer Michael Fassbender or Matthew McConaughey, depending on the tone of the movie.

I think Sahara is pretty close to an Indy film and McConaughey was pretty good in it. Fassbender would make a good serious Indy Jones.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #184
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've been forced to watch his movies by the wife. I can't say I agree. And he's not exactly a good match for a physical role like Indiana Jones.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #185
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Folks, he has been in other films than Twilight (this seems like the issue Leonardo DiCaprio had to deal with after Titanic). Watch "Cosmopolis".
Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #186
Autumn
Head Coach

There are some roles that just worked because of the actor. If you want to make an adventure movie similar to Indiana Jones, go ahead and make one, they don't down the patent. But it doesn't make any sense to me to try to cast someone else as Indiana Jones.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #187
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It would if it was akin to a "Young Indy" type of movie.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #188
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
There are some roles that just worked because of the actor. If you want to make an adventure movie similar to Indiana Jones, go ahead and make one, they don't down the patent. But it doesn't make any sense to me to try to cast someone else as Indiana Jones.

I agree, Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones.

Make him his son. I'm sure Indy has plenty of illegitimate children around the around the world other than Shia whatshisname.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #189
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

Yeah it does, because Harrison Ford is fucking old and can't convincingly play the part of the swashbuckling hero anymore.

Or at least he didn't look good doing it 6 years ago and I don't think he's getting better with age on that kind of role. Even Sean Connery was only 53 in Never Say Never Again. Ford is 72 and he looks like a catcher's mitt that's been left out in the sun for a while.

I'd say that reboots can be done well, but then I remembered that this is George Lucas we're talking about in which case the movie is fucked anyway.

Last edited by Blackadar : 09-25-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #190
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Folks, he has been in other films than Twilight (this seems like the issue Leonardo DiCaprio had to deal with after Titanic). Watch "Cosmopolis".

I've seen "Remember Me", "Water For Elephants", even "How To Be". He's okay, but doesn't have the charisma to play Indiana Jones.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #191
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I agree, Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones.

Make him his son. I'm sure Indy has plenty of illegitimate children around the around the world other than Shia whatshisname.

Agreed. Certain characters can't be separated from the actor that played them.