Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #151
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I very much agree with you, my friend. Brian May is perhaps my most favorite guitarist ever. What amazes me still is that he has a doctorate in astrophysics and has (co-)authored some known papers in the field. I also heard that he is now a chancellor or something at a university in England.

Yeah, he's awesome. I think Freddie is amazing, but a lot of my favorite Queen songs aren't only written by Brian, but also sung by him, such as "39", "All Dead, All Dead", "Sleeping on the Sidewalk", "Sail Away Sweet Sister", and "Leaving Home Ain't Easy" come to mind.

Damn, I love Queen. I remember buying "A Day at the Races" back in the late '80s out of a bargain bin, and becoming completely infatuated. I own everything they have on CD, and a lot of other stuff on vinyl and tape.

Although a lot of my musical tastes are my own, especially indie stuff, I find that my dad's influences are prevalent. I mean, at an early age, I was infatuated by stuff like Don McLean, Dan Fogelberg (cheesy, but I love him), Croce, Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, and on and on. I'm thankful for that.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #152
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Yeah, he's awesome. I think Freddie is amazing, but a lot of my favorite Queen songs aren't only written by Brian, but also sung by him, such as "39", "All Dead, All Dead", "Sleeping on the Sidewalk", "Sail Away Sweet Sister", and "Leaving Home Ain't Easy" come to mind.

Damn, I love Queen. I remember buying "A Day at the Races" back in the late '80s out of a bargain bin, and becoming completely infatuated. I own everything they have on CD, and a lot of other stuff on vinyl and tape.

Although a lot of my musical tastes are my own, especially indie stuff, I find that my dad's influences are prevalent. I mean, at an early age, I was infatuated by stuff like Don McLean, Dan Fogelberg (cheesy, but I love him), Croce, Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, and on and on. I'm thankful for that.

You're dad and I would be soulmates. I have all of those (except Tull) plus everything John Denver has put out, since he has been one of my main influences throughout my life. There, I said it (I think I have said it before, though). But this thread is about bands, not individuals, so again I am with you on Queen.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #153
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I dunno, I like U2. Maybe you guys should try only listening to War and October like I do.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #154
MJ4H
Coordinator

Maybe you should try dying in a fire. As long as we are recommending pain to each other, that is.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #155
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I completely disagree with this. If your tastes are all over the map, it could be that you are sufficiently musically inclined to be able to find good music in many different formats.

Yeah, that or should have been an and.

I suck at getting my point across with text.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #156
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Here's how it should have read, in order to make sense. I'm starting to think that a career in writing is gonna be a bad choice.

"If your tastes are all over the map, AND you don't really particularly get into any music in general, that says something about you. You're just not musically inclined, for one thing."

Worst part about it is that my tastes in music ARE all over the map.. I have no idea how I lack the general ability to translate anything other than abstract thoughts into text, however.

Then again, my friend the other day compared me to Gary Busey personality wise, so I might not have ever had a chance, text or otherwise.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-30-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #157
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Maybe you should try dying in a fire. As long as we are recommending pain to each other, that is.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #158
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

"If your tastes are all over the map, AND you don't really particularly get into any music in general

how would one have tastes all over the map yet not get into any music in general?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:57 PM   #159
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Adam Sandler ruined any chance of me liking Dave Matthews. Everytime I hear a DMB song, I imagine Adam Sandler making his same "sloppy joe" type of sound and I associate it with DMB.

And I'm seriously trying to not hate on Schmidty right now.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #160
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
People hating bands/movies that I love absolutely have no impact upon me. Why would I be so insecure as to wrap my identity around how others feel about my likes/dislikes? That's silly.

+1
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #161
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Love Queen, and "39" is one of my favorites.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #162
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
how would one have tastes all over the map yet not get into any music in general?

I guess they wouldn't necessarily have tastes all over the map if they weren't into music in general.. I'm trying to say if you're just indifferent about music, it doesn't bother you, but you don;t give a shit whats on, then you probably aren't big into music.

Hell i don't even know what my original point was anymore.

FUCK EA
Old 10-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #163
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I always wonder how he seems to get so much credit from both the rap publications and the ones that claim to promote "real hip-hop".. He seems to be no different from everyone else making their cash grab on money, drugs and hoes.. Yet he is called the greatest lyricist alive in some cases. I'm like..what? Greatest lyricist alive?

Anyone who uses that vocoder nonsense excessively sucks ass.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #164
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Yeah.. My friend is a hip hop artist, he just got one of those..

I was talking with him about it and he was like.. I can sing like a motherfucker now..

I was like.. Your computer can sing.

He said he likes that he can use that for when he doesn't have a vocalist to do his choruses, so I figured that would be cool.. Told him to stay the fuck away from T-Pain type shit though. That got old when Cher did it.

FUCK EA
Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #165
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

My folks loved Cat Stevens and Simon and Garfunkel and those loves have passed down to me. I could listen to Tea for the Tillerman any time.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #166
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Do You Feel Like We Do?

I guess not then.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #167
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
My folks loved Cat Stevens and Simon and Garfunkel and those loves have passed down to me. I could listen to Tea for the Tillerman any time.

Agreed. I grew up on those guys (and Clapton and Jimmy Buffett)
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #168
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Doors
Matchbox 20
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dave Matthews Band