Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #151
Easy Mac

That's one way to snuff out a pending epidemic.

But seriously, this has to put a cramp in the CDCs whole "no worries, we can save people if it spreads over" here message.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #152
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think the key is prompt medical care can seriously improve the odds. Makes the lack of diagnosis at the hospital even more tragic and probably a malpractice suit in the future
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #153
Easy Mac

But if I'm not mistaken, didn't it take the doctor and the missionary a few days to get over here before they got any proper treatment? What's the difference between that and an extra 2 days this guy had to wait. The only difference I can see so far is that they got the drug.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #154
molson
General Manager

I don't know how many people died in Texas today, but the one death among those that scares everybody is the one that's the most rare, the most unusual, this one weird disease that it's incredibly difficult to get. I still can't wrap my mind around this.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #155
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't know how many people died in Texas today, but the one death among those that scares everybody is the one that's the most rare, the most unusual, this one weird disease that it's incredibly difficult to get. I still can't wrap my mind around this.

Fear and logic often don't go hand-in-hand.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #156
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There are now no patients diagnosed with ebola in Dallas.

Is everyone in Dallas dead yet? Or are they zombies?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #157
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
But if I'm not mistaken, didn't it take the doctor and the missionary a few days to get over here before they got any proper treatment? What's the difference between that and an extra 2 days this guy had to wait. The only difference I can see so far is that they got the drug.

I think it's apples and oranges. They knew when they were exposed and they knew when they got sick. There was a timeline to start with from exposure to treatment.

In this other case he didn't know that when he was actually exposed that he was in danger right then. He didn't seek treatment until he was already ill enough that he went to the hospital. He was treated and released. Then another 2 days later before he went back. The timelines could be as much as a week apart from the start of treatment.

Clearly the earlier the treatment begins the better chance there is of survival. The fact that he was so much farther along really seems to have affected his ability to survive the illness.

FWIW, I'm sick from the ebola coverage. Just so much useless discussion and overload when there are so many other things to think about going on. The will keep putting it out there as long as their ratings stay high for it. People will turn it off when they are sufficiently overexposed to it and then it'll go to the back burner.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #158
Kodos
Resident Alien

On the other hand, it's more interesting than the incessant political commercials on TV.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #159
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Anyone for Marburg?

99 in Uganda quarantined after Marburg death - CNN.com
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #160
Grover
Pro Starter

I can't believe how worried everyone is about Ebola. Especially when the Dear Leader hasn't been seen in over a month.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I can't believe how worried everyone is about Ebola. Especially when the Dear Leader hasn't been seen in over a month.

We should get some clarity on that on Friday.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #162
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Spanish response to an infected nurse sure looks like a shit show. From Talking Points Memo:

Quote:
This from the Daily Beast ...

When Teresa Romero Ramos, the Spanish nurse now afflicted with the deadly Ebola virus, first felt feverish on September 30, she reportedly called her family doctor and told him she had been working with Ebola patients. Her fever was low-grade, just 38 degrees Celsius, far enough below the 38.6 degree Ebola red alert temperature to not cause alarm. Her doctor told her to take two aspirin, keep an eye on her fever and keep in touch, according to Spanish press reports quoting Romero’s husband Limón Romero. He says she didn’t initially exhibit any of the other Ebola symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and she didn’t feel sick enough to stay in bed.

Romero apparently took great comfort from the fact that her temperature had not reached the threshold for concern about Ebola. 38 celsius is 100.4 Fahrenheit. She had time off from work, ran errands, caught up with friends and even sat for a government civil service exam.

Just in ordinary terms 100.4 is a borderline fever. And I'm not sure how definitive that 38.6 (101.48 F) threshold is considered. But it would at least seem like you'd have a more aggressive regimen for people who worked directly with an Ebola patient. But it apparently got worse from there.

Again from the Daily Beast ...

According to Spanish press reports quoting the Spanish nurses’ union, Romero called Carlos III hospital several times between September 30 and October 2 when her fever finally hit the 38.6 threshold. Still, it took until October 6 when she had become so deathly ill she was begging for an Ebola test before anyone at the hospital where she worked reportedly reacted. Then, rather than immediately isolating her and rushing her to the special ward used to treat the previous Ebola patients, they told her to go to the nearby emergency room at Alcorcón, where press reports say she sat in the public waiting room for several hours absent of any protective gear. “I think I have ebola,” she reportedly told anyone who would listen. But no one took notice until her first test came back positive. By then, dripping with fevered sweat, she would have been inarguably contagious.

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-08-2014 at 01:12 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #163
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What a shit show.

Seriously - people who have potentially been exposed and hospitals BOTH need to be more demanding.

If I think I've even possibly been exposed to Ebola then why would I not DEMAND to be quarantined?
Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #164
Desnudo
Coordinator

head shots are the only way to be sure
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #165
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
What a shit show.

Seriously - people who have potentially been exposed and hospitals BOTH need to be more demanding.

If I think I've even possibly been exposed to Ebola then why would I not DEMAND to be quarantined?

What I don't understand is, if you think you have Ebloa, why not stay in your house, call 9-1-1 and explain everything on the phone? It seems you'd have a far less chance of infecting other people.

Ebola scare in Frisco: Patient identified as deputy
Old 10-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #166
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

We assume a level of education that just isn't realistic in much of the world. If only college graduates could contract Ebola, it would die out rather quickly. It's not a lack of intelligence, it's more not understanding how contagions work. And on a more simplistic level, not developing an understanding of global community.

Also, people tend to have a work ethic where they expect themselves to continue working even if they have a low fever. Even in the educated world, we're reluctant to give up that selfishness.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #167
HerRealName
College Prospect

I live in Frisco and I'm at my son's swimming lessons now. There is a very noticable decrease in attendance today... maybe 25% of the usual crowd. I can't help but wonder if this is due to Ebola madness.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #168
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

The clinic in Frisco is like 5 minutes from where I work. Beware of reading this post, you might get infected.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #169
Easy Mac

you mean we can get rid of the Pats and Cowboys in one try?!

Boston hospital monitoring patient for possible Ebola case - Yahoo News

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0I10FV20141012
Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #170
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Spanish response to an infected nurse sure looks like a shit show. From Talking Points Memo:

Then they killed her dog because it may transfer around
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #171
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My sister is right down the street from all the hospitals.

Fun times.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #172
Easy Mac

Well, so much for her dog.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #173
Butter
Coordinator

RIP Scruffy.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #174
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just found out that the nurse that got infected went to the same high school I did (she graduated in 2006), and is the niece of one of my long time friends.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-13-2014 at 01:36 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #175
Easy Mac

Dallas Ebola Patient's Dog Will Be Kept Safe, Mayor Says - ABC News
Old 10-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #176
Suicane75
Coordinator

You don't know what a weight off my mind that is.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #177
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
You don't know what a weight off my mind that is.

+1
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #178
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #179
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Haha - nice!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #180
Easy Mac

Well, I'm glad my wife is coming back tomorrow from a conference in Kansas City.
KU Hospital testing patient for Ebola virus | The Kansas City Star
Old 10-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #181
Easy Mac

Second Dallas worker has Ebola.

News Guide: Latest news on Ebola - seattlepi.com

Using my highly scientific research, I assume now people have been infected this time as opposed to previously because:
A) this guy was sicker during his stay,
B) the Dallas hospital is not nearly as equipped to handle this as Emory.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #182
Edward64
Head Coach

If infection can spread in a hospital and their caregivers, its no wonder its a such a mess in Africa. I get mistakes were likely made by the caregivers but if this can happen in a somewhat hospital controlled environment, it doesn't bode well if there are more that enter the country.

2nd Dallas worker tests positive for Ebola - CNN.com
Quote:
(CNN) -- A second health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who cared for Thomas Eric Duncan has tested positive for Ebola, health officials said Wednesday -- casting further doubt on the hospital's ability to handle Ebola and protect employees.

The worker reported a fever Tuesday and was immediately isolated, health department spokeswoman Carrie Williams said.

The preliminary Ebola test was done late Tuesday at the state public health laboratory in Austin, and the results came back around midnight. A second test will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

"Health officials have interviewed the latest patient to quickly identify any contacts or potential exposures, and those people will be monitored," the health department said.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #183
Easy Mac

Quote:
Well I'll tell you what, if Ebola wipes out even a small portion of the U.S. population, I'll buy you a coke.

You owe Shepp a coke.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #184
molson
General Manager

Quote:
You owe Shepp a coke.

The U.S. death toll is still............one. Only about 30,000 or so to go until it's as deadly as the regular flu in a bad season. I'm not even sure that would count as a "small portion of the U.S. population", but I will buy Shepp a coke at that point if he's still alive. Even though his specific fear was that the virus would escape Atlanta CDC and destroy America.

Edit: People think of the flu as this relatively harmless thing that only kills old people, but if we're going to compare it to the death toll of Ebola, that's not true at all. Flu is killing younger people at an increased rate. And this is something you can get a vaccine for! Millions don't bother, and some of them are no doubt terrified of Ebola. That's just stupid. The stupidity is getting exhausting.

CDC Reports Flu Hit Younger People Particularly Hard This Season | Press Release | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Last edited by molson : 10-15-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #185
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

Edit: People think of the flu as this relatively harmless thing that only kills old people, but if we're going to compare it to the death toll of Ebola, that's not true at all. Flu is killing younger people at an increased rate. And this is something you can get a vaccine for! Millions don't bother, and some of them are no doubt terrified of Ebola. That's just stupid. The stupidity is getting exhausting.

Feeling tired, rundown, Molson? Finding it hard to move?

Guys, lock this place down.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #186
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The U.S. death toll is still............one. Only about 30,000 or so to go until it's as deadly as the regular flu in a bad season. I'm not even sure that would count as a "small portion of the U.S. population", but I will buy Shepp a coke at that point if he's still alive. Even though his specific fear was that the virus would escape Atlanta CDC and destroy America.

CDC Reports Flu Hit Younger People Particularly Hard This Season | Press Release | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Can I get an amen!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #187
JeeberD
General Manager

CDC says second nurse diagnosed with Ebola flew from Cleveland to Dallas the day before she reported symptoms | Dallas Morning News

Lovely...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #188
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Feeling tired, rundown, Molson? Finding it hard to move?

Guys, lock this place down.

Umm, no, I'm fine, I swear, uh, I just had a late night, that's all, and that zombie's bite didn't even break the skin.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #189
Easy Mac

Surely the government already has all their contact info from the flight manifest, wouldn't it make more sense for the CDC to call all of them instead of relying on people reading an announcement on websites?

Edit: The question above is in relation to the CDC statement in the article that passengers are to call the CDC hotline.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 10-15-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #190
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Surely the government already has all their contact info from the flight manifest, wouldn't it make more sense for the CDC to call all of them instead of relying on people reading an announcement on websites?

Seriously. The inefficiencies/unpreparedness/stupidity this is bringing to light are just...staggering.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-15-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Edit: The question above is in relation to the CDC statement in the article that passengers are to call the CDC hotline.

I haven't flown in a while so even if I could remember the precise details of what info was associated with my travel it might not be relevant anymore, but ...

I recall my address being picked up to match against my ID but off-hand I don't recall phone numbers being part of the flight manifest data. In the airline sales database probably, but in the stuff that goes on what I think of as the passenger manifest -- the details the gate agents have in front of them -- ... is the phone number even on there?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #192
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Seriously. The inefficiencies/unpreparedness/stupidity this is bringing to light are just...staggering.

Actually the problem isn't the CDC. They probably have the contact information, the problem is they aren't allowed to immediately contact the people potentially exposed. They have to fill out paperwork and submit it to another government agency before being given approval to move forward.

On several occasions the person in the CDC in charge of this type of thing has told investigators to start contact anyway, and the paperwork would be filled out and filed behind their efforts.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #193
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Actually the problem isn't the CDC. They probably have the contact information, the problem is they aren't allowed to immediately contact the people potentially exposed. They have to fill out paperwork and submit it to another government agency before being given approval to move forward.

On several occasions the person in the CDC in charge of this type of thing has told investigators to start contact anyway, and the paperwork would be filled out and filed behind their efforts.

I don't think I ever mentioned the CDC, but that's interesting. Stupid bureaucracy.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #194
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think I ever mentioned the CDC, but that's interesting. Stupid bureaucracy.

Guess I felt the need to defend the CDC part of the equation, though they are far from blameless. I can tell you the Ebola response team leadership is extremely frustrated with the bureaucracy as well.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #195
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Guess I felt the need to defend the CDC part of the equation, though they are far from blameless. I can tell you the Ebola response team leadership is extremely frustrated with the bureaucracy as well.

Totally cool.

Wish the bureaucracy would get the fuck out of the way and let the doctors do their jobs.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #196
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:

Thank you for distorting the message that I put forward earlier. I don't remember saying anywhere that we were facing the "destruction of America". I questioned the wisdom of bringing a disease with an over 50% mortality rate to a major urban center when it wasn't absolutely necessary.

I do remember you putting forth the notion that just about any hospital in America would be capable of treating an Ebola patient safely. So far we have had one random hospital put to the test with an Ebola case. The result has been at least two of the hospital staff being infected themselves.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #197
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Thank you for distorting the message that I put forward earlier. I don't remember saying anywhere that we were facing the "destruction of America". I questioned the wisdom of bringing a disease with an over 50% mortality rate to a major urban center when it wasn't absolutely necessary.

I do remember you putting forth the notion that just about any hospital in America would be capable of treating an Ebola patient safely. So far we have had one random hospital put to the test with an Ebola case. The result has been at least two of the hospital staff being infected themselves.

What I said was that "the risk of Ebola transferring from any North American hospital into the general population is minuscule", and indeed, that hasn't happened yet (though we'll see how many people on that Cleveland to Dallas plane get Ebola, and how far into the general population they spread it ).

Healthcare workers always have some risk, of all kinds of things. Before the handful of healthcare providers got Ebola, others from Doctors without Borders got sick from other things, or were kidnapped, murdered, injured, or stranded. Those are among the best people in humanity to take on those risks for the betterment of others. And their transfer to the CDC may have saved their lives, and did not either destroy America, or involve even one other person getting the disease. (and it had the side benefit of giving the CDC the opportunity testing out treatments and learn more about the disease.)

Edit: If people want to be more afraid of this than any of the many, many things that pose a much greater risk to their lives and health, that's their right I guess, I just worry that this paranoia is going to have a hugely negative effect on lots of totally innocent peoples' lives pretty soon. The power of irrational fear scares me so much more than Ebola.

Last edited by molson : 10-15-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #198
rowech
Pro Starter

This is going to explode in the USA very soon. People are so stupid. Why would she travel to a different city? Just dumb beyond dumb.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #199
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
This is going to explode in the USA very soon. People are so stupid. Why would she travel to a different city? Just dumb beyond dumb.

define explode

Last edited by Lathum : 10-15-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #200
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

If she traveled the day before she showed symptoms, and the disease supposedly doesn't transmit until you show symptoms, shouldn't everything be fine?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote