Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #351
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think Noah was starting to become too much of a "good guy" type and the writers (smartly) moved him back to the amoral center.

I agree with you here.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #352
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think Noah was starting to become too much of a "good guy" type and the writers (smartly) moved him back to the amoral center.

Or they just reminded the viewers of the type of person he was when the show began vs who he is now. If they decide to show that side of him a bit more in the next episode in present day action then yeah, but that was all par for the course stuff when he was simply HRG.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #353
Thomkal
Head Coach

good episode overall, nice to tie some of the new characters to the original Heroes episodes. I had even forgotten some stuff like Nathan being married at one point-what happened to her anyway?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #354
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Or they just reminded the viewers of the type of person he was when the show began vs who he is now. If they decide to show that side of him a bit more in the next episode in present day action then yeah, but that was all par for the course stuff when he was simply HRG.

Or that he still is the same person, we are just getting a new, sympathetic view of him. Even though he wants Sylar dead, he still is, after all, working with him. Bennett is far better character as the amoral center.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #355
BishopMVP
Coordinator

They're also setting up a nice meeting for Elle/Sylar when we catch back up to the present and Elle runs into Mr. Petrelli's headquarters.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-11-2008 at 09:29 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #356
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Yes, please.

+100000000.

I really, really liked this episode for the reasons others have said; Elle, tying up loose ends, refreshing our memory of early episodes, etc.

Was I the only one who thought/thinks that Elle and Gabriel were/are going to hook up at some point and create his future son? That's what this episode gave hints of suggesting to me.

Favorite line of the whole episode: "I thought you were going to break out into a song and dance." or however HRG said it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #357
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This episode was definitely better than most of this season....but that's not all that surprising, when you consider that the focus was on Elle, Sylar, Noah, Nathan, Linderman, and the elder Petrellis, all of whom are more than competent actors, and were able to lend some needed feeling and depth to the wooden dialog that Heroes continues to trot out. I'm not going to be surprised when things tank again as soon as Peter, Claire, Mohinder and Parkman return to the scene.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #358
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Acting wise, one of the better eps.

Storyline/interest-wise...meh. Aside from the Sylar/Elle tryst I could've already inferred/assumed most of what they gave us.

By the time it was winding down I was waiting for the big "HOLY CRAP THIS IS A FLASHBACK EPISODE" moment that just never came, which was disappointing.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
If the show makes it to chapter 4!

Probably gets another round but I wouldn't count on much beyond that if they don't stop shedding viewers. This week's episode was down to a 3.6 (right around the franchise low again) and finished third in the timeslot

CBS led at 9 p.m. with a 3.9 for “Two and a Half Men” (4.9) and “Worst Week” (2.9), followed by ABC for the last half hour of “Stars” (4.4) and “Samantha Who?” (3.0). NBC was third with a 3.6 for “Heroes,” Fox fourth with a 2.2 for “Prison Break,” Univision fifth with a 1.9 for “Fuego en la Sangre” and CW sixth with a 1.6 for “One Tree Hill.”
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #360
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Probably gets another round but I wouldn't count on much beyond that if they don't stop shedding viewers. This week's episode was down to a 3.6 (right around the franchise low again) and finished third in the timeslot

CBS led at 9 p.m. with a 3.9 for “Two and a Half Men” (4.9) and “Worst Week” (2.9), followed by ABC for the last half hour of “Stars” (4.4) and “Samantha Who?” (3.0). NBC was third with a 3.6 for “Heroes,” Fox fourth with a 2.2 for “Prison Break,” Univision fifth with a 1.9 for “Fuego en la Sangre” and CW sixth with a 1.6 for “One Tree Hill.”

Story of my tv viewing life.. two of my favorite shows on these days are buried at third and fourth here.

I wish more people had better viewing taste (ie: matched what I liked)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #361
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Heroes was excellent. I'm not surprised it is losing viewers this season.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 AM   #362
Izulde
Head Coach

Thoughts on tonight's episode:

I was rolling the whole Japanese bowling alley scene. Talk about hilarious!

Peter sucks. Really really sucks. Although he provided some great UIC with the line "I just want you to stay....*BIG AWKWARD SHATNER PAUSE*... inn-o-cent."

It's like, okay, dude. WTF are you pronouncing innocent like it's some foreign word? I mean, come on. We get it already. You wanna get incestuous with your fairly hot teenage cheerleader niece.

They missed a golden comedy opportunity by having the African point out Angela to Matt. It would've been hilarious if it'd had been the turtle who pointed the way.

The whole Gabriel/Elle thing, while disgustingly predictable, was extremely enjoyable. I also loved the montage scenes at the end, showing the two groups. Very, very cool.

There's some interesting threads and mysteries still dangling there, but I'll let others speculate on that. I did think it was a nice trick of Mr. Petrelli's not to steal Hiro's powers, but mindfuck him into thinking he was 10.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #363
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Fun, fun, battle lines are drawn (as obviously shown at the end)... though Sylar is a bit of wildcard. And when the eclipse comes again and wipes some of their powers, that should be quite interesting.

Sylar/Elle was awesome. Just awesome. As Izulde said, predictable but great.

Interesting with Claire's blood was the catalyst (and I'm guessing Adam's blood before that), though they missed another comedy oppertunity by someone whispering "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" .
Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #364
MikeVic
Head Coach

I guess I'm not as optimistic. That might have been the last episode for me, if not for the preview of Sylar/Elle for next episode.

The Hiro thing was beyond stupid. What a fucking waste. I guess we'll have it explained why Papa Petrelli didn't steal his powers, but I can't think of a reason that wouldn't also make him a stupid villain. Speaking of him being a stupid villain, why let Parkman save his wife?? I hope that's explained, other than

Sylar/Elle was the only thing I really liked. I guess Sylar's power has evolved? He can "borrow" powers now? That was kinda weird.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #365
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess we'll have it explained why Papa Petrelli didn't steal his powers

He was in the process... noticed the eclipse on the wall, went "Oh Shit" and in that interm, Ando was able to get Hiro away.

Quote:
I guess Sylar's power has evolved? He can "borrow" powers now? That was kinda weird.

There seems to be kind of a link amongst people with similar powers. What Arthur was doing was showing Sylar that he could be like Peter and take powers by empathy... getting into their brains another way.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #366
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
... though they missed another comedy oppertunity by someone whispering "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" .

I was totally waiting for it. It isn't too late...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #367
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
He was in the process... noticed the eclipse on the wall, went "Oh Shit" and in that interm, Ando was able to get Hiro away.

There seems to be kind of a link amongst people with similar powers. What Arthur was doing was showing Sylar that he could be like Peter and take powers by empathy... getting into their brains another way.

He seemed to be able to take Peter's and Adam's powers almost instantaneously? And he had enough time to change Hiro's mind to a 10-year old?

That second part makes sense, thanks.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #368
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm assuming he also wanted to find out what Hiro dreamt about.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #369
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I guess we'll have it explained why Papa Petrelli didn't steal his powers, but I can't think of a reason that wouldn't also make him a stupid villain.

Why would he want to steal his power? He already took Peter's which would have covered Hiro's abilities and he thought Hiro was working for him. He wouldn't have recruited Hiro unless he had some kind of use for him and his powers so why take them away? Maybe he was just trying to scare him into being willing to do whatever it is Arthur wanted him to do in the first place.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #370
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Really enjoyed the show last night. I don't know why I keep hearing people get bored with it.. I find it just as much fun as season 1 and 2 was for me. Maybe my expectations are just lower though, I fully admit

Heroes is one of only two or three shows that I make sure that I'm not actually working during so I can pay full attention to it

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #371
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Obviously Arthur had Hiro's power already. How do people think he got to the middle of Africa so quickly?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #372
MikeVic
Head Coach

Not steal his power for his use, but steal it to prevent him from doing damage further down the line?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #373
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

In Peter's alternate future, wasn't Hiro on the bad team? Isn't that why Ando stabbed him? Arthur may not have completely stolen Hiro's power because he needs Hiro to do something yet.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #374
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ah ok.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #375
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
In Peter's alternate future, wasn't Hiro on the bad team? Isn't that why Ando stabbed him? Arthur may not have completely stolen Hiro's power because he needs Hiro to do something yet.

I thought Ando was the bad one in the future?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #376
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I just forget a whole lot of stuff in this show. Like, when Sylar was with Elle, and Elle was all pissed off... I totally didn't remember that he killed her dad! But in a lot of other shows, I remember even the smallest little details. Is it just me wanting to find faults now?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #377
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

this show sucks
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #378
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I thought Ando was the bad one in the future?

That is possible. I'm having a hard time telling who is good and who is bad. I figured that Hiro must be on the Pinehurst side since the don't seem to include "normal people" and that Ando was on the Company side as "one of us (not one of them)". I could have that wrong though.

I do wonder how much of this season will be redeemed by the end. A lot of "holes" from the earlier episodes seem to be getting filled in now. Maybe it will all make sense by the end. Hopefully they will still have enough fans to notice.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #379
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Hiro stuff was pretty damn lame. I guess they were going with fun, but it was just annoying to me.

I have come to the conclusion that there is such a wide variation of acting ability among this cast, that it is tough for the show to be consistently good.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #380
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Really enjoyed the show last night. I don't know why I keep hearing people get bored with it.. I find it just as much fun as season 1 and 2 was for me. Maybe my expectations are just lower though, I fully admit

Heroes is one of only two or three shows that I make sure that I'm not actually working during so I can pay full attention to it

+1

I especially get a kick out of the guys always complaining about the bad acting when I hardly even notice any. Maybe I notice some dumb lines, or somewhat bad writing once in a while, but I let it go and continue to enjoy the show.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #381
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seriously, though... people are complaining about bad acting in a TV series that's based on comic books heroes. That is a bit amusing.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #382
SFL Cat
College Starter

This show has so jumped the shark.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #383
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seriously, though... people are complaining about bad acting in a TV series that's based on comic books heroes. That is a bit amusing.

Do acting and dialog somehow not matter if you're playing a comic book hero? Did you find 'Batman & Robin' and 'The Dark Knight' equally enjoyable?
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #384
Travis
Pro Rookie

So we go from Elle attacking Sylar for killing her father to Sylar immediately being able to make the switch to taking powers in a completely new fashion to Elle and Sylar acting like life long buds in the span of an episode.

Oh, and now the next eclipse will rob (everybody?) them of their powers when apparently quite a few kept them who had them when the last eclipse happened.

I'm still trying to enjoy the show, but they are really taking a lot of shortcuts with Sylar's character/powers/personality to get him to where they want him.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #385
Thomkal
Head Coach

I wonder if Ando will get his powers from this eclipse when everybody else loses theirs. Thought the whole bowling alley scene and making Hiro think he was 10 was pretty silly. But I did like it when they found the future-telling comic book-has it ever been revealed who's doing those?

I thought Elle's change of heart concerning Sylar happened way too quickly, as it appears she's in love with him now. I like the chemistry between the actors playing Matt/Speedster, but I just find the romance between them very hard to believe. I mean she looks young enough to be his daughter.

I liked it when the fear guy realized his powers wouldn't work on Claire
Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #386
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but I like to believe that the actors in TV shows/movies are actually the characters they are playing. Most of the actors in Heroes are pretty good, but there are 4-5 characters that totally ruin the immersion factor for me. Claire and Peter are the worst for me, with Parkman (although I think it is more that his appearance doesn't fit his character very well for me) and Hiro, off and on, in the mix, as well.

When I compare it to a show like Lost, it is a stark contrast. When I see Locke, I don't think about his character from Tombstone or Old School. When I see Charlie, I don't think about Hobbits. The actors I'd never seen before are all solid (Kate, Hurley) to very good (Sawyer, Desmond). Even the guest stars are pretty good (I would have never believed that Peggy Bundy or Cheech could pull off strong, serious roles).

Good acting makes a show or film flow well, whether it is a comic books show or not. Otherwise, the George Clooney-Arnold Schwartznegger Batman would be comprable to the Christian Bale-Heath Ledger one. I still enjoy Heroes a lot and don't let it sit on my DVR for very long. It is just hard to keep the level of immersion up when you are going from really well acted scenes with HRG/Angela or Mr. Petrelli/Sylar/Daphne/Nathan/HRG and then follow them up with Peter/Claire scenes.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #387
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Do acting and dialog somehow not matter if you're playing a comic book hero? Did you find 'Batman & Robin' and 'The Dark Knight' equally enjoyable?

Heh... didn't see this before I posted my lenghty post.

First thing that came to mind for me, as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #388
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Something that hasn't been brought up here is that the writers are heavily taking actual comic book stories and using them as stories for the show. Days of Future Past(X-Men) and The Watchmen has been the worst offenders.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #389
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I wonder if Ando will get his powers from this eclipse when everybody else loses theirs. Thought the whole bowling alley scene and making Hiro think he was 10 was pretty silly. But I did like it when they found the future-telling comic book-has it ever been revealed who's doing those?

I was pretty sure they were done by Isaac, who died in season 1... so I guess he has a bunch of already-written issues or something.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #390
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I was pretty sure they were done by Isaac, who died in season 1... so I guess he has a bunch of already-written issues or something.

They were.

But I was wondering if someone -else- is writing the new ones.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #391
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I thought Elle's change of heart concerning Sylar happened way too quickly, as it appears she's in love with him now.

She fell for him when she and HRG were mindfucking him old-school style about a year ago or whenever the flashback took place.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #392
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

+1 from me as well. Glad to know I am not the only enjoying this season
Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #393
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
She fell for him when she and HRG were mindfucking him old-school style about a year ago or whenever the flashback took place.

Yeah, but then there was that whole killing her father thing in the mean time.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #394
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They were.

But I was wondering if someone -else- is writing the new ones.

My guess would be yes, it's someone else. In season one before he died Isaac gives a messenger one to take to the publisher or printer, and he tells the guy it is the last one. My guess is someone else is doing them, or they will just never mention it and leave it as a hole in the story.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #395
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

It's plot that really matters to me. Batman & Robin's plot was God awful (besides, Clooney didn't do a bad job at all with what he had) Besides, I think there were plenty of people who enjoyed the Adam West Batman series which had absolutely horrible acting and cheesy dialogue.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #396
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah that's what I thought, but he's been dead for awhile
Old 11-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #397
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

yeah I knew that, and I wouldn't have been surprised that a relationship developed over time, but she just finished trying to fry the guy and then begging him to kill her. But then near death scenes seem to get Heroes horny as evidenced by Nathan/Tracy a couple episodes back.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #398
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that's not a surprise... remember Will Ferrell in Wedding Crashers? Funerals > Weddings .
Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #399
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

OK. Where did this "they're going to lose their powers with the eclipse" come from? Has the show hinted at this? Is there a spoiler somewhere? Are we all just making wild assumptions and the eclipse could simply create new powers and leave everyone with their powers? I'm not really sure where this steadfast belief (and outrage?) came regarding the next eclipse removing powers.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #400
spleen1015
Coordinator

The preview for next week's episode told us they lose their powers.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote