Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cool FML - Season 2: A New Beginning

And so, in the year 2003, a new incarnation of the defunct FML was born. Twelve brave men with dreams of winning it all have signed on to do battle on the virtual gridiron. But only one can win...

National Conference American Conference

Rtg Team Owner Rtg Team Owner

82 Jets Primelord 82 Patriots BigDPW
80 Bears Chuck127 80 Titans Raven
80 Broncos Kodos 80 Dolphins Fritz
78 Redskins JoeGibbsJr 78 Chargers Coach TD7
78 Saints Chris01 76 Bills Doug5984
72 Chiefs RainRaven 76 Colts Vince

Official FML Season 2 Schedule

Here is the schedule, with many thanks to Chuck127 for putting it together.

WEEK 1

BILLS at CHIEFS
COLTS at SAINTS
DOLPHINS at REDSKINS
BRONCOS at CHARGERS
PATRIOTS at BEARS
JETS at TITANS

WEEK 2

JETS at CHARGERS
BEARS at DOLPHINS
TITANS at BRONCOS
REDSKINS at PATRIOTS
CHIEFS at COLTS
SAINTS at BILLS

WEEK 3

JETS at SAINTS
CHIEFS at BEARS
BRONCOS at REDSKINS
PATRIOTs at COLTS
DOLPHINS at CHARGERS
TITANS at BILLS

WEEK 4

SAINTS at CHIEFS
BEARS at BRONCOS
REDSKINS at JETS
DOLPHINS at TITANS
CHARGERS at PATRIOTS
BILLS at COLTS

WEEK 5

BRONCOS at SAINTS
CHIEFS at REDSKINS
BEARS at JETS
COLTS at DOLPHINS
BILLS at CHARGERS
TITANS at PATRIOTS

WEEK 6

JETS at CHIEFS
SAINTS at BEARS
REDSKINS at BRONCOS
CHARGERS at DOLPHINS
PATRIOTS at BILLS
TITANS at COLTS

WEEK 7

PATRIOTS at JETS
BEARS at COLTS
CHARGERS at CHIEFS
BRONCOS at DOLPHINS
REDSKINS at BILLS
TITANS at SAINTS

WEEK 8

JETS at BRONCOS
BEARS at REDSKINS
CHIEFS at SAINTS
DOLPHINS at PATRIOTS
TITANS at CHARGERS
COLTS at BILLS

WEEK 9

CHIEFS at BRONCOS
SAINTS at REDSKINS
JETS at BEARS
BILLS at DOLPHINS
CHARGERS at COLTS
PATRIOTS at TITANS

WEEK 10

REDSKINS at CHIEFS
SAINTS at JETS
BRONCOS at BEARS
PATRIOTS at CHARGERS
BILLS at TITANS
DOLPHINS at COLTS

WEEK 11

CHIEFS at JETS
REDSKINS at BEARS
SAINTS at BRONCOS
BILLS at PATRIOTS
TITANS at DOLPHINS
COLTS at CHARGERS

WEEK 12

BEARS at SAINTS
JETS at REDSKINS
BRONCOS at CHIEFS
DOLPHINS at BILLS
COLTS at PATRIOTS
CHARGERS at TITANS

WEEK13

BRONCOS at JETS
BEARS at CHIEFS
REDSKINS at SAINTS
PATRIOTS at DOLPHINS
COLTS at TITANS
CHARGERS at BILLS

Last edited by Kodos : 03-03-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:05 PM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Best of luck to you all. I was one of the originals in the first FML, but because someone told me education was important I just couldn't get in a game every week.

If we have one of these during the summer, or hell maybe even Spring break, I'd love to face off against you guys again.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:58 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks Neuqua. Maybe we can have a tourney or something when spring break time rolls around.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
Vince
Pro Starter

So I wasn't around for the first one...how/where do we go about scheduling a game? Chris, I'm open most of tomorrow (Intramural Basketball 6-8 PM PST), but I'd love to get a game in.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
Raven
College Prospect

Primelord, sorry I got home a little late today. But if you are still available tonight, I am ready whenever you are.

Look for me on AIM
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
Chris01
n00b

It's 9:40ish 2-2-03 pst right now. Tomorrow's pretty open for me as well Vince sometime between 1-3pm (afternoon) good for you? This GMT time thing's kinda messed up though.
Chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:08 AM   #7
Vince
Pro Starter

Hey Chris...hopefully you'll get this tomorrow (2-3-03) morning...I should be available from 1-3, so I'll have my computer (actually not mine, but whatever) on and AIM on, my name is FantasyBandit. Just ding me here or on IM and we can get our game going

PS - Kodos, are we supposed to keep track of anything at all? Maybe like score for tiebreakers, or total offense or something? I'll probably keep track of my offensive production just for my own records, but if there's anything else we need to do, I'm open to taking stats.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
joegibbsjr.
n00b

Hey Fritz, Sucks we couldnt get our game in yesterday. Looks like we may have a hard time getting together during the week. Hopefully we can work somehing out. We'll see what happens.
joegibbsjr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:26 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

We're only going to be tracking wins, losses, and scores. If somebody else wants to take on keeping track of the stats, that would be fine, but I am far too lazy to compile individual stats for all 12 teams.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Thats it Kodos, turn in your green card!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:33 AM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Green card? I'm from East L.A.!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:24 PM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Was that you in the dress? what a bod!
Old 02-03-2003, 05:23 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

hey guys, I am getting a lot of "server not available."

Anyone else going through this?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:57 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've never gotten that.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:40 AM   #15
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, game one of the FML Season 2 is in the books, and it looks to be a long season for the Colts...

Final Score:
Indianapolis Colts 9 (Vince)
New Orleans Saints 31 (Chris01)

In what should have probably been a much closer game, my inability to tackle led to numerous long TDs and incredible returns by Chris...he even had a 90 yard punt return for a TD called back because of a holding penalty. My offense showed some signs of life, but was definitely suspect...and this is going to be a long defensive year for me. Oh well...it was a great, CLEAN game, and it was still fun even though I got my ass kicked. Good game Chris.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:49 AM   #16
Chris01
n00b

Good game to you as well Vince. Thanks for playing as realistic as could be. You're right just a couple tackling mistakes erased and this game would have been neck and neck. Either way it was fun and it's nice to play a game when good sportsmanship is shown by both players. Goodluck this season bro.

Chris
Old 02-04-2003, 10:31 AM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hey DetoxRox - Are we on for tonight? I should be available from 10 CST on, or earlier if need be.

Vince - I've played with the Colts before, and their D is terrible. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:34 AM   #18
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Vince - I've played with the Colts before, and their D is terrible. Good luck!

Heh I don't think it was the team that was the problem.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don't try telling Mike Vanderjagt that...
Old 02-04-2003, 12:44 PM   #20
primelord
Pro Rookie

Raven are you available tonight?
Old 02-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #21
Chris01
n00b

Now do we play games once a week or how excatly does it work?
Old 02-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

We're supposed to play twice a week, with one game scheduled for Tuesday night and one game scheduled for Thursday. People are welcome to reschedule for more convenient times if necessary, but the goal is to play 2 games each week.

We're going to be using that rule which I proposed earlier where forfeits will be given out if a player doesn't get his game in by Sunday night. For example, if one player clearly tries to schedule his game but his opponent makes no effort, then the player who tried to schedule the game will be given credit for a 20-0 win, and the player who did not make an effort will be given a 20-0 loss, and a forfeit will be added to his record. People's records will include W-L-F (I'll add a column for ties if it comes up). So for instance, at the end of our 13-game season, somebody's record might be 8-5-2 (8 wins, 5 losses, 2 forfeits).

The tie-breakers for getting into the playoffs will be:

1. Number of forfeits - If 2 teams have identical W-L records, but one team has more forfeits, the team that has the lower number of forfeits wins the tie-breaker. The same thing applies for determining a conference winner.

2. Head-to-head record - The team that had a better head-to-head record gets the nod.

3. Conference record

4. Points For

5. Points Against

If anyone would like to suggest a modification for the forfeit rule or the tie-breakers, please let me know.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Also, if it gets down to the points tie-breaker, I say we take the players' average score for games that they actually played and multiply it by 13. For example, a guy finished with an 8-5-2 record. We would take his total points from the 11 games that he actually played, divide that number by 11, and then multiply it by 13 to give him his points total for the season. This seems more sensible to me then just arbitrarily giving him a points total of 40 (20 x 2) for the 2 games that he won by forfeit. Since I'm basically fleshing out the forfeit rule right here, feel free to suggest improvements, or ask for clarification if I'm confusing you.

Old 02-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

Playoff Format

I suggest that 3 teams from each 6-team conference make the playoffs. The number 2 and 3 teams in each conference would play to decide who got to play number 1 in the conference championship. Number 2 would host the first playoff game, while number 1 would host the conference championship game. This way, having the best record truly provides a reward. I think if we had 4 teams making the playoffs in each conference, it would render the regular season somewhat worthless, as a team with a losing record could still make the playoffs.

Summing up, my playoff suggestion looks like this:

#3 at #2

Winner of that game at #1.

Team with better regular season record hosts Super Bowl. Same tie-breakers as above, except for conference record (since the Super Bowl teams will be from different conferences).
Old 02-04-2003, 02:51 PM   #25
primelord
Pro Rookie

I would suggest we give a little leeway in foreiting games this week since it was kind of unclear when exactly we started.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #26
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Rainraven: Are you available to play our game tonight?...if so post a time here and i will be able to play.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:21 PM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
I would suggest we give a little leeway in foreiting games this week since it was kind of unclear when exactly we started.

That's a good idea. Did you get it from somebody else?
Old 02-04-2003, 03:25 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here's the slate of games to be played by Sunday night:

WEEK 1 (Tuesday, 2/4)

BILLS at CHIEFS
COLTS at SAINTS
DOLPHINS at REDSKINS
BRONCOS at CHARGERS
PATRIOTS at BEARS
JETS at TITANS

WEEK 2 (Thursday, 2/6)

JETS at CHARGERS
BEARS at DOLPHINS
TITANS at BRONCOS
REDSKINS at PATRIOTS
CHIEFS at COLTS
SAINTS at BILLS
Old 02-04-2003, 03:25 PM   #29
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
That's a good idea. Did you get it from somebody else?

primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:28 PM   #30
primelord
Pro Rookie

Dola,

BTW the above post containing just an emoticon is directly from Kodos' book How I Got To 4000 Posts Without Ever Contributing Anything Meaningful.

This post is anotehr fine example from his book.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:04 PM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 02-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #32
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Tuesday night.

It is early, but I have set up a room for us.

room: all pro Fml
pw: Fof
Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 PM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

Are there mints on the pillows?
Old 02-04-2003, 06:13 PM   #34
primelord
Pro Rookie

If I can't get ahold of Raven I am up for playing some exhibition games tonight if anyone else is.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:16 PM   #35
Kodos
Resident Alien

I might be available too.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:21 PM   #36
Chris01
n00b

BigDPW I got the file downloaded for everyones contact info but everytime I try to access it it keeps trying to download it again. Is it possible for you to just E-mail me peoples info without me having to download it again. I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:30 PM   #37
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Well I am availble until later when I might get lucky with joegibbsjr.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:40 PM   #38
BigDPW
College Prospect

Post Patriots 20 - Bears 17

FML Week 1
Patriots at Bears
Champagne, Ill

The game was a huge defensive battle with neither team scoring in the first half. As the second half began to unfold the Bears came alive hitting their recievers for several big gains one a 50 yard scamper to the endzone breaking the 0-0 tie. After the Bears completed their extra point try Kevin Faulk returned the kickoff 95 yards for a TD making the game 7-7. Again the Bears controlled the game via their air attack eventually leading to another TD strike making the game 14-7 Bears. As the third quarter was coming to a close the Patriots decided to go back to their running game and sustained a long drive down the field which ended in a FG. (14-10) In the latter part of the 4th quarter the Patriots gained the lead from the Bears via a TD pass to Troy Brown to go up by 3 (14-17). With 1:00 remaining the Bears took the ball on their own 18 and were forced to 4th and 10 but were able to convert leading to a quick drive down to tie the game a 17-17 with a Paul Edinger FG.

In OT the Bears won the toss and recieved the ball first. They were forced into a 3 and out and punted the ball away to Troy Brown who returned the ball to about the 50 yard line. At this point the Patriots were forced to a 4th and 6 situation on the 40 yard line and in a tough call the head coach made the decision to go for it (3:00 remained). The Patriots converted on a 8 yard pass and were then in FG range. Knowing that Adam Vinatieri had missed a 43 yarder in the first Qtr. they elected to keep the ball on the ground and hope to get much closer inside of his range. They drove down to the 12 yard line and then completed a perfect ending to such a great game (for Pats fans anyway) by kicking the game winning field-goal with 1:00 left on the clock.

Final Score
Patriots 20
Bears 17

TO
Bears 2
Pats 1

Player of the Game: Marty Booker (had roughly 200 yards recieving)
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:44 PM   #39
Vince
Pro Starter

RainRaven: I know it's early, but since I'm already done with game one of this week, when's a good time to go for game two? I'm open almost all day tomorrow, from 1:00-4:00 PST and then after 9:00 PST. On Thursday, I'm open from 5:00 PST on. Just let me know when you want to play!
Old 02-04-2003, 09:01 PM   #40
Chuck127
n00b

Great Game BigDPW! That was a tough one and the team was a little dissappointed but we have the whole season ahead of us!

Fritz let me know when u finished your first game!
Chuck127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #41
RainRaven
High School JV

If anyone is around tonight I have time for a game
Old 02-05-2003, 12:48 AM   #42
Raven
College Prospect

Would it maybe be more convenient to be allowed to play your games in any order during each given real life week?

ie Primelord and I (FML Week 1 matchup) have different schedules and haven't been able to play yet. While on the other hand, Kodos and I (FML week 2 matchup) are supposed to play the second game of this week and may have had a chance to play but couldn't because our 1st games weren't played yet.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #43
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think it's okay if games are played out of order to some extent, but it might be odd to play your Week 10 opponent now, for instance. But certainly, there is no reason not to play your week 2 or week 3 game before your week 1 game. For tracking purposes, it'd probably be easier for me if guys didn't get too far ahead in the schedule, since I plan to post league standings after each real week of play.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-05-2003 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:30 AM   #44
Chris01
n00b

Staying within 2 games of the schedule sounds good to me, not only for tracking purposes for you Kodos but it also seems corny to have one team have played 7 games or so while anothers played 3.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:59 AM   #45
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, I'd like to have the feeling of the season unfolding and there being races for the playoff spots, which I think you'd lose if we got too far away from the schedule.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:16 PM   #46
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hey DetoxRox - Are you out there? We have a big game to play! When are you available?
Old 02-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #47
joegibbsjr.
n00b

I agree. I think we should just play our 2 games per week how ever we can get them in. Here's a question, what do we do in case of a disconnect? I just got disconnected from a game and we both went right back to the room and were like, what happened?
joegibbsjr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:34 PM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

We used a guideline like this for the first FML incarnation:

1. If the disconnect is in the first half, just start over.
2. If the disconnect is in a close game in the second half, start over using the score from the first half and just replay the second half.
3. If the disconnect is in a game that has already been clearly decided, both teams can agree to let whatever the score was be the final score.

This system seemed to work pretty well, although it is far from being perfect.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:05 PM   #49
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Rainraven, are you avialable to play tonight? I am available at anytime.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:44 PM   #50
Kodos
Resident Alien

Paging Mr. Detox. Mr. DetoxRox, please pick up the red courtesy phone.

Hello?