Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Alright, boyz!! Here we go...Halo 3 first impressions

Preordered and paid in full. Hopefully it will be a good birthday present for me.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I can't wait!

Pre-ordered, paid in full, will be there at midnight on Monday.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope it's fun for me. I've never played Halo 2, and my Halo 1 experience was mainly MP, where my little nephew would just headshot my character all day. Since he knew the maps a ton better than me.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Oh wow. I am a Halo Story nut. But I absolutely love multiplayer as well.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

My son preordered the edition with the helmet. I asked him if it fit on his head and he said no. *sigh* I'll take him to ebgames at midnight Monday night and let him play all night and no school on Tuesday. I'm such a good dad. Actually this is only because he has 97-100% in all of his classes except for one.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Anthony
Banned

can you play this game co-op?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
can you play this game co-op?

Yes. HALO 1&2 splitscreen, HALO 3 supposedly adds co-op over LAN / Live.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If anyone pre-ordered the limited addition you might want open your copy before leaving the store. Apparently the nub that holds the disc in place is rather shoddy and a number of people have reported the CDs are loose in the case and have become scratched to hell in transit.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Coop
High School JV

It has 4 player co-op over live and lan.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

I assume this is pretty much for Multiplayer enthusiasts?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I assume this is pretty much for Multiplayer enthusiasts?

No. Big misconception. The story is AWESOME.

Edit

The Multi-player is going to be fantastic as well, but the story is honestly the main reason they make this game. It truely is a good one.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 09-22-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
No. Big misconception. The story is AWESOME.

Edit

The Multi-player is going to be fantastic as well, but the story is honestly the main reason they make this game. It truely is a good one.

Generally games like Halo, Crysis, Far Cry, etc I thought always had great stories but the problem was the stories were too short 10-15 hours in length. I am guessing Halo story is great but short?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Oh I just relieved this was only for xbox 360 no PC That is dumb.IMHO.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #14
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Generally games like Halo, Crysis, Far Cry, etc I thought always had great stories but the problem was the stories were too short 10-15 hours in length. I am guessing Halo story is great but short?

Yea, I guess you could say it's on the short side. However, there is a ton of depth outside of the games. There are 4 novels out now, with a 5th one due in October. It's a very detailed universe, with a very deep and rich backstory.

As for your next post about it only being on 360, it will probably end up on PC in a year or two (Both Halo 1 and 2 are on PC now).
Old 09-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Peter Jackson is directing a Halo movie as well.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Peter Jackson is directing a Halo movie as well.

Not trying to nitpick, but he is producing it. Neil Blomkamp (sp?) is directing it.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not trying to nitpick, but he is producing it. Neil Blomkamp (sp?) is directing it.

Ah, I guess i didn't really read the fine print too well. Just heard something offhand about Peter Jackson bringing it to the screen.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ah, I guess i didn't really read the fine print too well. Just heard something offhand about Peter Jackson bringing it to the screen.

Yea. Thing is, I think Jackson is really going to be "like" a director for this movie. Him and Blomkamp are going to work together to make a sick movie. Jackson's WETA workshop have already started building some of the vehicles, and they are actually driveable.

And for the record, the movie is on hold because Fox and Universal (at least i think it was those two) pulled out of the deal because of their lack of creative control and some money issues.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #19
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

hxxp://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/viewer.aspx?productId=1084&assetTypeId=2&shotId=15

Anyone see this?

It's a 1200 sq. ft. diorama that was created for Halo 3 ads. The ad campaign is called "Believe", and you can see the rest of the videos here:

hxxp://videogames.yahoo.com/events/halo-3/halo-3-videos/530253

The order they came out in is:

Museum
Believe
Monument
Enemy Weapon

The other videos there aren't from the ad campaign but are other Halo 3 commercials/announcement videos, etc.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:38 AM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh I just relieved this was only for xbox 360 no PC That is dumb.IMHO.

Yeah?

It's dumb that you've got a guaranteed multimillion seller, and you're going to put it on your console platform in an effort to sell as many consoles as you can, since as the console manufacturer, you get a cut of *every* piece of software sold, not just the ones you publish?

It'll come to PC eventually. Don't cry.

They just aren't going to simul-release it and blunt the impact it could have on their console business.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:59 AM   #21
tucker342
Pro Starter

I can't wait, I preordered at best buy and will be going to get it as soon as best buy opens.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:03 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When does super smash brothers come out for PC?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who else is going to a midnight event tonight? I'm going to Gamestop with some Co-workers. Should be interesting, hopefully the lines move fast.

I'm curious to see how many fell for the Legendary edition, that just seemed like a horrible rip off.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yea, I guess you could say it's on the short side. However, there is a ton of depth outside of the games. There are 4 novels out now, with a 5th one due in October. It's a very detailed universe, with a very deep and rich backstory.

As for your next post about it only being on 360, it will probably end up on PC in a year or two (Both Halo 1 and 2 are on PC now).

I'm getting the impression from the early posts in this thread that 'Jetsin06' needs to be MS/Halo's promoter.

Good stuff. I'll be the first to admit that I had no clue there was even one Halo novel to be read.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #25
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm curious to see how many fell for the Legendary edition, that just seemed like a horrible rip off.

My son fell for it.

He'll be getting it in the mail today, I hope. I'm not going to go home if it doesn't come.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

About an hour in. Looks beautiful. Plays well. I havent done MP yet tho so thats the real test.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #27
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

My sons are going apeshit since I told them Friday I will be buying a 360 and seeing if I can find a copy of Halo 3. Now that I finally have an HDTV I can justify the purchase.

So... who here thinks the game will be completely sold out on Friday?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #28
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
My sons are going apeshit since I told them Friday I will be buying a 360 and seeing if I can find a copy of Halo 3. Now that I finally have an HDTV I can justify the purchase.

So... who here thinks the game will be completely sold out on Friday?

Doubt it. My sister got it today for my birthday and she said none were on display at Best Buy but the guy said they had hundreds in the back. he was prolly exagerating but I know there will be lots.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #29
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

cool. My 16-year old's best friend apparently waited in line for 6 hours for this game last night. Truly I must be getting old, because I cannot fathom waiting in line 6 hours for what is, in essence, just another first person shooter.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #30
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've never understood the obsession with Halo. I got so bored I didn't even finish the original game.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think they shipped like 4.2 million copies or something like that.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I read they shipped 4.2 million. I'll eventually pick it up, but I don't get the craze either and I'll wait until it drops in price most likely.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #33
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Picked it up today, when I got home from class my roommate had already been playing about 4 hours. We played some multiplayer for a couple hours, and it's fun. I haven't gotten into single player yet, I'll probably play multiplayer for a few weeks, and then start up on my single player game.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI for those with the Limited Edition. Packaging problems are causing the disks to be scratched. Microsoft has already initiated a program to replace all Limited Edition disks......

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297993,00.html
Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #35
Raiders Army
Coordinator

My son played yesterday all day without sleep. It's a bitch trying to wake him up today.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM   #36
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
My son played yesterday all day without sleep. It's a bitch trying to wake him up today.

I'm guessing that's why this impressions thread has been so lackluster thus far. Everybody's busy playing the game or at work fighting through a sleep-deprived gaming coma.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm guessing that's why this impressions thread has been so lackluster thus far. Everybody's busy playing the game or at work fighting through a sleep-deprived gaming coma.
yeah, I really need to watch the clock better. I can't function if I stay up till 5am playing video games.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
yeah, I really need to watch the clock better. I can't function if I stay up till 5am playing video games.

I've found myself falling asleep with a controller in hand before. I wake up at 4 AM with the controller still in my hand.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #39
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I've found myself falling asleep with a controller in hand before. I wake up at 4 AM with the controller still in my hand.

Warhawk is just that damn goood.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #40
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Warhawk is just that damn goood.

Let the record show that I did not introduce a single comment about another console or game on another console into this thread. I guess I assumed this thread was for discussing Halo 3 impressions.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #41
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I beat the game last night.

Spoiler

p.s. when you beat the game, make sure you let the credits roll. You'll get a very important, "extra" cutscene.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #42
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Let the record show that I did not introduce a single comment about another console or game on another console into this thread. I guess I assumed this thread was for discussing Halo 3 impressions.

C'mon, man. It was just a harmless joke. Not a thread derailer.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
C'mon, man. It was just a harmless joke. Not a thread derailer.

I've been known to derail threads before. Just didn't want this one added to the tally.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I beat the game last night.

p.s. when you beat the game, make sure you let the credits roll. You'll get a very important, "extra" cutscene.

You must be a college student. I remember the days when I could have hours of gaming bliss in one session. Now, not so much........

Have you played online yet? Looks like they had some server issues on release night, but got that cleaned up now. Pretty smooth?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #45
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You must be a college student. I remember the days when I could have hours of gaming bliss in one session. Now, not so much........

Have you played online yet? Looks like they had some server issues on release night, but got that cleaned up now. Pretty smooth?

Haha yea. I am a college student (senior, so my days are numbered). I skipped both my classes yesterday so I could play all day. I didn't have any trouble on release night (night of the 24th). Played three flawless matches while taking a break from campaign.

Last night (night of the 25th, which I guess, technically, would be release night) I had a small problem that only lasted 5 minutes. When entering matchmaking it said that I couldn't get data from the server, but I waited about 5 minutes and then it worked.

Aside from that though, multi-player is awesome. Haven't had any lag issues or anything like that. Plus, the saved films feature is absolutely stunning. If you haven't heard about it, it saves your last 25 games played (whether it be single player or multi-player), and then allows you to watch it from any viewpoint, plus allows you to fly the camera anywhere on the map. Last night I had a beautiful shot with the sniper, and I went to saved films with my friend and watched it in slow motion. It's really cool for things like that. Things you want to be like "Holy shit, I wish you could have seen that." Now you can. Very cool stuff.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #46
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Haha yea. I am a college student (senior, so my days are numbered). I skipped both my classes yesterday so I could play all day. I didn't have any trouble on release night (night of the 24th). Played three flawless matches while taking a break from campaign.

Last night (night of the 25th, which I guess, technically, would be release night) I had a small problem that only lasted 5 minutes. When entering matchmaking it said that I couldn't get data from the server, but I waited about 5 minutes and then it worked.

Aside from that though, multi-player is awesome. Haven't had any lag issues or anything like that. Plus, the saved films feature is absolutely stunning. If you haven't heard about it, it saves your last 25 games played (whether it be single player or multi-player), and then allows you to watch it from any viewpoint, plus allows you to fly the camera anywhere on the map. Last night I had a beautiful shot with the sniper, and I went to saved films with my friend and watched it in slow motion. It's really cool for things like that. Things you want to be like "Holy shit, I wish you could have seen that." Now you can. Very cool stuff.

How do you save that stuff?

I am DeToxRox on XBL, add me, we'll have to play some
Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Microsoft is claiming Halo3 set a record for all forms of entertainment media (games, books, movies, etc) with over 170 million in revenue in the USA alone within the first 24 hours:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6179914...stnews;title;0

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-26-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #48
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
How do you save that stuff?

I am DeToxRox on XBL, add me, we'll have to play some

i'm in class now so i'm no 100% sure, but i think you go to "Theatre" or "films", whatevr its called on the main menu. Then theres a button you highlight and press a on that says "Film: -------", where ---- is whatevr game you just played. select that and then the list of your last 25 games will come up
Old 09-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #49
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Add me... DavisNFLD
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #50
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
Add me... DavisNFLD

will do. detox, your added as well.

my gt is DesignerSky