Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Rockband vs. Guitar Hero III

Aight..

I never got on the Guitar Hero bandwagon. Never played I or II, etc. My fiance and I have been considering jumping on the bandwagon with GHIII (XBOX360 or Wii) or Rockband (XBOX 360).

I'm not sure the right route to go to. The price tag, of course, of Rockband is deterent. But we could, in theory play together. So, I had a few questions based on things I've heard:

A) Is Rockband really THAT much better, or is it just the fact that multiple people can play?

B) I thought I heard you could do Bass and Guitar, but it appears that it only comes with one guitar. So - are you using an old Guitar Hero guitar or buying a new one for the 2nd guitar?

C) I've heard a lot about the guitar failures on Rockband - is that any better now with newer boxes shipped out? If so, is there a way to tell?

D) I've heard some things about hardware issues with the drums - are there issues there?

E) Is there an advantage/disadvantage to GHIII on the Wii vs. the 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Celeval
Pro Starter

I'm pretty sure GHII and GHIII allow two-player as well, fyi. We only have GHI, though.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have both ROck band and GH3, and GH3 seems to be a little more difficult for the same level of play, but for me Rock Band was alot more fun and you got more immersed into it. We've bought a couple of extra songs for Rock Band that have come out and play it more. Now that we beat GH3 on medium level, we haven't been back to play it anymore.

Edit: TO answer a few of your other questions, both games only come with one guitar. Since we have both, we can use both guitars in Rock band to have one play Bass and one play guitar. The rock band guitar does not work with GH though in reverse, so we're stuck with solo play only there.

I haven't had any hardware issues with the drums, only the guitar and the response to replace it was so easy and fast, it was not a huge problem for us. We don't play every day though, so for a more intense gamer it might be a bigger issue.

Last edited by Alan T : 01-20-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Aight..

I never got on the Guitar Hero bandwagon. Never played I or II, etc. My fiance and I have been considering jumping on the bandwagon with GHIII (XBOX360 or Wii) or Rockband (XBOX 360).

I'm not sure the right route to go to. The price tag, of course, of Rockband is deterent. But we could, in theory play together. So, I had a few questions based on things I've heard:

A) Is Rockband really THAT much better, or is it just the fact that multiple people can play?

B) I thought I heard you could do Bass and Guitar, but it appears that it only comes with one guitar. So - are you using an old Guitar Hero guitar or buying a new one for the 2nd guitar?

C) I've heard a lot about the guitar failures on Rockband - is that any better now with newer boxes shipped out? If so, is there a way to tell?

D) I've heard some things about hardware issues with the drums - are there issues there?

E) Is there an advantage/disadvantage to GHIII on the Wii vs. the 360?

Aside form a brief stint of playing Guitar Hero over at a party I have never owned it. I can tell you however that Rock Band continues to be one of the absolute best gaming experiences for me ever. I personally feel that the extra instruments as well as the potential for having fun with a group of people is well worth the extra $$$$. Not only have Starbuck and I been able to play it together (her on vocals, me on drums - i.e. not possible in Guitar Hero) but the drums are so addictive that I want to learn to play them for real.

As far as hardware failures our guitar did fail within two weeks but it was a breeze to replace. Despite getting pretty serious playtime over the past 3+ weeks the drums are still functioning great.

Last edited by Ironhead : 01-20-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

I have both GH2 for PS2 and Rockband for PS3 and PS3's Rock Band is awesome for "us". Me, the wife and the roommate have a ball with all the different instruments. We've had more fun with RB than GH2.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-21-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I know two couples who have both games, the only one they play is Rock Band. I own neither, but Rock Band just seems like much more fun when playing multiplayer. Neither couple has had a problem with the RB guitar breaking either, for what that is worth.

Two things- Look at the song list and see which you like better. Also, do you live in an apartment? If you have some bitchy neighbors they might not enjoy you playing the drums on RB.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

have you heard about the coverings that give the RB drums a truer richer less plastic-y sound?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Rock.

Band.

No question.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I bought GH III just so I could have another guitar to complete rock band. Never once has the GH III game made it out of the case.

No comparison, imo.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #10
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I never got into Guitar Hero (got the first one on PS2 and played it twice). I bought GH2 for 360 to have a 2nd guitar and have yet to break the seal on GH2. Rock Band is amazing. I was a doubter until I actually played it. It's amazing. Everyone should get Rock Band. The experience combining drums, vocals, and 2 guitars is unmatched by any other multiplayer game. And you're all working together as a team. It's a very noncompetitive team-based game unlike anything I have ever played.

My gushing for Rock Band paid for by Harmonix and MTV games

Seriously...if you have the money, it's totally worth it.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
have you heard about the coverings that give the RB drums a truer richer less plastic-y sound?

Linky?

Thanks guys - the input is much appreciated! Sounds like RB is the unanimous winner here.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Linky?

Thanks guys - the input is much appreciated! Sounds like RB is the unanimous winner here.

oh, wow. I was kidding but here you go, who knows, maybe theyre good and worth it. Let everyone know if they are:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=230

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Linky?

I won both- and GH II as well, since buying Rock band we have not played GH at all. More songs, better songs (imo)- the ability to download more songs...and then just the general game play seems better...especially having a band world tour, it feels like a game you can try to beat, not just a game you play to unlock songs then done with it.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

One last thing - how much space do you really need for Rockband? Where our video games are set up is relatively small...

Quote:
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One last thing - how much space do you really need for Rockband? Where our video games are set up is relatively small...

THe only big part really is the drum set. I have a big living room so it is not a huge deal, the only problem I have is my youngest daughter keeps using the drum set to stand up when we put it away to the side of the living room

The drum set takes up about half the width of my couch to play, so as long as you have a couch in your living room, you should have enough room for the drum set too.

If it is a really really small place, your biggest issue might be where to put it when you aren't playing it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
THe only big part really is the drum set. I have a big living room so it is not a huge deal, the only problem I have is my youngest daughter keeps using the drum set to stand up when we put it away to the side of the living room

The drum set takes up about half the width of my couch to play, so as long as you have a couch in your living room, you should have enough room for the drum set too.

If it is a really really small place, your biggest issue might be where to put it when you aren't playing it.

Well, it's not that my place is small - but we have the video games in my office sharing space with other things ..

Anyway, thanks!

Quote:
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

My entire family is having a blast with GHIII...but I refuse to buy RB until we've played the hell out of GHIII. $99 is not going to waste! Ignorance is bliss and we love GHIII.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

wade, you can also put the drum head on the coffee table or somesuch. You don't HAVE to have the stand set up in order to do that.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I bought GH III just so I could have another guitar to complete rock band. Never once has the GH III game made it out of the case.

No comparison, imo.

Can you use a GH2 guitar with Rock Band on the 360? What's the difference between the GH2 and GH3 guitar besides aesthetics?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #20
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

hxxp://www.ebgames.com/article_viewer.asp?article_id=30635&product_id=200344#30635

All GH guitars work with Rock Band, but not vice versa.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Can you use a GH2 guitar with Rock Band on the 360? What's the difference between the GH2 and GH3 guitar besides aesthetics?

Not sure, is the guitar in GH 2 wireless like the one in GH 3?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #22
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

The guitar I got for X360 for GH2 isn't wireless. I think they just added wireless for GH3.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #23
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Just bought a GH2 guitar on eBay so I can play bass while my 9 year old is on lead guitar. The wireless aspect didn't matter to me
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #24
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Has anyone had any problems hooking up the Microphone for Rockband to their PS2?

We just got Rockband and we have tried almost every combination of plugging the Microphone in and it never registers in any slot. The Guitar and the Drums work fine. Any ideas?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #25
Mota
College Benchwarmer

If it's like the 360, you have to use the controller to register the Microphone after it's plugged in.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I think I was the only jackass to get a defective one. We returned it and set it up the same way and it worked.

Thanks Mota for the suggestion anyways.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Dutch
"Dutch"

Just played RB for the first time. We played until 5 in the morning...I mostly did the "singing", but played guitar and bass with ease (after playing GHIII). Fun!

But here's where I think RB and GHIII split.

With 3 or more people, Rock Band is where it's at.

With 2 people - it's a split.

With 1 person - I think GHIII is better.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No comparison, imo.

Months later... I finally decided to play some GH 3 over the weekend and I'm kicking myself for it.. SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS MUCH SOONER!

No comparison in the songs in GH 3 vs Rockband.. they are so much better in GH 3. "One" by Metallica, are you kidding me? Probably one of, if not my favorite song of all time. Many, many other great songs to boot.

What a moron!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #29
Pyser
Pro Rookie

rb's strongest songs, and most fun to play, ive found to be the downloadable one
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #30
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Months later... I finally decided to play some GH 3 over the weekend and I'm kicking myself for it.. SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS MUCH SOONER!

No comparison in the songs in GH 3 vs Rockband.. they are so much better in GH 3. "One" by Metallica, are you kidding me? Probably one of, if not my favorite song of all time. Many, many other great songs to boot.

What a moron!

I agree, there's a ton of excellent music in Guitar Hero III. Welcome to the Jungle, Rock You Like a Hurricane, One, Even Flow, and for the lucky few like myself ... Dream on.

But, having said that, Rock Band gets ALL the spin at my house. Easily one of the best $170 investments I've ever made.

Rock Band is better and it's not even close.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think for solo play, I'm liking GH 3 better, but I'd agree.. Rock Band still gets the most play at our house.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #32
SnDvls
Pro Starter

didn't see this posted yet, but Rock Band is coming out for the Wii end of June.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #33
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
didn't see this posted yet, but Rock Band is coming out for the Wii end of June.

Atlhgouh, from what I read, the Wii version will be similar to the PS2 version, i.e. no downloadable content, nor online play.

Our current console, if you wanna call it that, is a Gamecube and my son was eager for us to possibly get a Wii but since my wife and I tried Rock Band, we'll need one that has it. The lack of downloadable content for RB might be enough for us to go for an XBOX360 instead of a Wii now...

FM
Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #34
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and I see us getting both games in the future, simply by looking at the song listing for GH3.

FM
Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I think for solo play, I'm liking GH 3 better, but I'd agree.. Rock Band still gets the most play at our house.

Yup. GHIII is much better for those who enjoy playing the guitar controller.

That said, since RB has been in my house (2 weeks) I haven't played GHIII again.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #36
Coop
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Yup. GHIII is much better for those who enjoy playing the guitar controller.

That said, since RB has been in my house (2 weeks) I haven't played GHIII again.

Couldn't disagree more, I hate the guitar in GH3.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Couldn't disagree more, I hate the guitar in GH3.

Funny.. I hate the guitar in rock band.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #38
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does anyone know if the Guitar Hero III guitar is backwards compatible. Can it play the PS2 Guitar Hero games on the PS3?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #39
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Another question- does anyone know if the PS2 Guitar Hero guitar can play on Rock Band? My mom wanted Guitar hero for her birthday, and I want to get her rock band because I think she'd prefer the songs on that game....but I'm not sure what guitar she'd need.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #40
path12
Coordinator

I don't own a console, but we went to a Rock Band party this weekend and had a fantastic time, with 9 or 10 people trading off various instruments until 3 in the morning. The non-gaming yet game Ms.Path promptly let me know that we will be getting a Wii and Rock Band in the very near future.

She (and I) like Guitar Hero, but there was no talk of actually buying something until Rock Band.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #41
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Atlhgouh, from what I read, the Wii version will be similar to the PS2 version, i.e. no downloadable content, nor online play.

I'm a console idiot, but doesn't the Wii have a hard drive? I wonder why it couldn't have downloadable content?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #42
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I'm a console idiot, but doesn't the Wii have a hard drive? I wonder why it couldn't have downloadable content?

I'm probably a bigger console idiot that you are, was just reporting what I'd read about the Wii version. One link:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/03/...ix-no-dow.html

We only own a Gamecube and the Wii was very much a possibility for us, but since my wife and I really want to be able to play Rock Band, with downloadable songs, while leaving a shot at our 11yo son to play console games, it kind of killed the Wii for us...

FM
Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #43
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Another question- does anyone know if the PS2 Guitar Hero guitar can play on Rock Band? My mom wanted Guitar hero for her birthday, and I want to get her rock band because I think she'd prefer the songs on that game....but I'm not sure what guitar she'd need.

while I don't own a PS2 per se, we rented one with RB for our son's birthday a month ago and one of his friend had brought over his GH3 controller (as well as the game itself) and it played perfectly fine with RB.

Now, the big one, your mom plays PS2??? That is VERY cool.

FM
Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #44
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Does anyone know if the Guitar Hero III guitar is backwards compatible. Can it play the PS2 Guitar Hero games on the PS3?

It can't, no. There's a couple of third-party solutions that'll solve that problem, but the official PS3 Guitar Hero guitar won't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post

The PS2 guitars should all be compatible with Rock Band, yes. Won't go the other way for any of the Activision-owned Guitar Hero games.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

It has a small built-in memory area, but it's relatively small and is not a full-fledged hard drive. No HDD = no downloadable content. It's a crippled version when compared to the 360 or PS3.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #46
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I don't own a console, but we went to a Rock Band party this weekend and had a fantastic time, with 9 or 10 people trading off various instruments until 3 in the morning. The non-gaming yet game Ms.Path promptly let me know that we will be getting a Wii and Rock Band in the very near future.

She (and I) like Guitar Hero, but there was no talk of actually buying something until Rock Band.

as I've told before, our discovery of RB happened when we rented a PS2 with the game and full gear for our 11yo son's birthday party. Rental was for six days and my wife and I ended up playing it every evening during that time. She loooooved it so much that the moment I said I was seeing us eventually buy that thing, with a new console, she said she agreed and one day we'll have one. When is another thing, but she's sold to the idea now, which is a major step...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-28-2008 at 11:21 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #47
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I'm probably a bigger console idiot that you are, was just reporting what I'd read about the Wii version. One link:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/03/...ix-no-dow.html

We only own a Gamecube and the Wii was very much a possibility for us, but since my wife and I really want to be able to play Rock Band, with downloadable songs, while leaving a shot at our 11yo son to play console games, it kind of killed the Wii for us...

Her kid is in college and basically out of the house so this would be just for the two of us and parties, which is why I think we'll have to end up with the Wii even though it's a bummer about the content. She's very intrigued about Wii games whereas there's really no way she's going to find much to play on a 360/PS3......

I guess I'd have to settle for expansion song discs, which I'd imagine is the way that new content will appear.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It can't, no. There's a couple of third-party solutions that'll solve that problem, but the official PS3 Guitar Hero guitar won't do it.

Bummer. Just to be sure we are on the same wavelength, I am refering to the PS3 Guitar Hero guitar. I know that the PS2 guitar cannot be used on the PS3.

Last edited by Kodos : 04-28-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #49
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

The Wii doesn't have a hard drive. The really isn't a reason it couldn't do downloadable content, even without a hard drive. SD cards could be used, though they would be a bit slow. It still could be done. Once again, a company is just taking the easy way out and porting the ps2 version over instead of taking the time to do it right for the Wii. I hope nobody actually buys the Wii version.

And I hope Nintendo releases a freaking hard drive so there aren't any more excuses for this.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #50
Kodos
Resident Alien

No offense, but this is definitely Nintendo's fault for not putting in a hard drive.