Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

June Console Sales Numbers (Meet the new boss)

(same as the old boss)

Hardware: (last month in parenthesis)

Nintendo DS—783k (472k)
Nintendo Wii—666.7k (675k)
PS3—405.5k (208k)
PSP—337.4k (182k)
360—219.8k (186k)

Software:

1. PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4, Konami, 6/08.................774.6K*
2. NDS Guitar Hero On Tour, Activision, 6/08..........422.3K
3. 360 Ninja Gaiden II, Microsoft, 6/08..................372.7K
4. Wii Fit with Balance Board, NOA, 5/08................372.7K
5. Wii Play with Remote, NOA, 2/07.......................359.1K
6. 360 Battlefield: Bad Company, EA, 6/08.............346.8K
7. Wii Mario Kart with Wheel, NOA, 4/08.................322.4K
8. Wii LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08.............294.5K
9. NDS LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08..........267.8K
10. PS2 LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08.........260.3K

* = does NOT include copies bundled with hardware. Counting bundles MGS4 sold close to one million.

That PS3 bump is bigger than I might have guessed. It shows once again that consumers value backwards compatibility, plus some pretty good numbers for MGS4.

Other than that, boy don't people love their Guitar Hero, shooters, Wii peripherals and anything with LEGO in the title? Not too many surprises here, though I still find people buying a $50 DS Guitar Hero pretty strange.

The 360 version of GTA4 already being off the charts (in it's third month) is surprising, the PS2 games would stay on the charts for ages.

Nintendo could have sold more Wii Fit and Mario Kart but didn't meet supply.

It's once again nice to see third parties able to make some fat loot on Nintendo platforms.

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith didn't chart. Cool. Aerosmith sucks.

July will be interesting as far as 360 v. PS3 goes since the price of the 20 GB 360 just went down to $300 and all the Metal Gear fans have their consoles now. Basically, don't hand Sony that silver medal just yet, they're still millions behind.

I'll add updated LTDs and other numbers when they show up, for now it's back to some NCAA 09.

Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Nintendo sent me a text earlier saying that NPD was calling them the console hardware sales leader in the US with around 10.9 million units shifted. Don't know what Microsoft's domestic numbers are.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

A interesting thing to note that I didn't see on the original post was that the PS2 nearly outsold the 360 in the U.S. I think that the PS2 bundle that Sony is offering may be an attempt to push that console's sales past the 360 month-over-month heading into the holidays.

I get the impression that the 360 demand at this price point is drying up in a big hurry. Microsoft needs a price cut (the 20 GB price drop is a clearance sale, not a price cut) in a big hurry. Their only apparant boost point through the end of this year would appear to be Gears of War 2. FFXIII will help them in 2010 or 2011, but not right now.

I can't get the numbers right now, but it appears that the PS3 made up between 400-500K worldwide this month alone as far as cutting into the 360's margin. Pretty good month, but Sony needs to keep pushing units in July-September for it to matter.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Ryan S
Quarterback

If the numbers are correct, it looks like the PS3 got a 200k boost with the Metal Gear Solid bundle.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Lego Indiana Jones numbers are interesting. A nice third party showing for the Wii and a couple of nice third party showings for the DS.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
That PS3 bump is bigger than I might have guessed. It shows once again that consumers value backwards compatibility, plus some pretty good numbers for MGS4.

That's a pretty broad assumption you draw in regards to backwards compatibility. It may be true to some consumers, but you state it as though it's a fact that all consumers covet backwards compatibility. You can't state that as fact based on a 200K jump in sales anymore than you can point to the bump in sales when the 40 GB machine was released as proof that they don't value backwards compatibility.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
These numbers show that the PS3 is never going to catch the 360 in the US this generation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
These numbers show that the PS3 is never going to catch the 360 in the US this generation.

9 months ago, no one thought that the PS3 would beat the 360 in worldwide month-to-month sales in any one month. The commonly held perception was that it wouldn't happen until 2009 at the earliest.

The PS3 has now beaten the 360 worldwide for 7 straight months. It's awfully early to say 'never', just as it was 9 months ago.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
9 months ago, no one thought that the PS3 would beat the 360 in worldwide month-to-month sales in any one month. The commonly held perception was that it wouldn't happen until 2009 at the earliest.

The PS3 has now beaten the 360 worldwide for 7 straight months. It's awfully early to say 'never', just as it was 9 months ago.

This from the guy that predicted a couple of months ago that BR would be 40% of movie sales by the end of this year.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This from the guy that predicted a couple of months ago that BR would be 40% of movie sales by the end of this year.

Really? Link?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A interesting thing to note that I didn't see on the original post was that the PS2 nearly outsold the 360 in the U.S. I think that the PS2 bundle that Sony is offering may be an attempt to push that console's sales past the 360 month-over-month heading into the holidays.

I get the impression that the 360 demand at this price point is drying up in a big hurry. Microsoft needs a price cut (the 20 GB price drop is a clearance sale, not a price cut) in a big hurry. Their only apparant boost point through the end of this year would appear to be Gears of War 2. FFXIII will help them in 2010 or 2011, but not right now.

I can't get the numbers right now, but it appears that the PS3 made up between 400-500K worldwide this month alone as far as cutting into the 360's margin. Pretty good month, but Sony needs to keep pushing units in July-September for it to matter.

I would agree with this point. If my 360 died the only reason I would buy another at this point is because I bought GTAIV and NCAA Football over the last several months. If I didn't have a 360 or PS3 and wanted to buy one, the PS3 just seems like more for the money right now, especially since they actually have some games I would be interested in unlike last year.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Sorry, my bad. Got you confused with Synovia.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...=58638&page=15
Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I get the impression that the 360 demand at this price point is drying up in a big hurry.

?

April 360 sales: 188K
May 360 Sales: 186K
June 360 sales: 219K
Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I would agree with this point. If my 360 died the only reason I would buy another at this point is because I bought GTAIV and NCAA Football over the last several months. If I didn't have a 360 or PS3 and wanted to buy one, the PS3 just seems like more for the money right now, especially since they actually have some games I would be interested in unlike last year.

I think I mentioned this once before. Your point is a good example of it. There's going to be a couple million people by the end of this calendar year who's RROD warranty will expire (and that number will continue to increase every month). I think it's going to be extremely interesting to see what those people do when their 360 hits a RROD and they no longer have the warranty to fall back on.

Some possibilities:

-Repair the console for the standard price (usually $129, but don't quote me on that exact number). I really don't see this as an option for many people. Why drop that money in a console that may bust again when you can buy a newer model for just over double that cost.

-Buy a used 360. Doubtful that they'd take this option given that most used consoles right now are likely to be prone to RROD issues.

-Buy a new 360. This is where I think Microsoft might be able to save themselves. If they can get out a new console with a reliable chipset that gets good publicity for being reliable, they may be able to get old owners with a busted 360 to buy a new 360 since they likely already have an existing library of games.

-Buy a new PS3/Wii. A definite possibility. The PS3 has very good reliability, good exclusive lineup on the way, and Blu-ray. The Wii is a very obvious choice as well. Very popular and has some games that the 360 owner may not have played but would like to play.

It's certainly interesting, as it would appear that it's going to introduce a second wave of consumers to the console battle.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-18-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
?

April 360 sales: 188K
May 360 Sales: 186K
June 360 sales: 219K

Compare those numbers to the same month a year ago. The Wii and PS3 have both seen significant growth over the numbers from one year ago. The 360, give or take a few thousand, is relatively stagnant. Given that the 360 has been on the market for a year longer than either of those consoles, that's not a good situation. A console in year 3 should be hitting its stride given its head start, not falling behind the other two in sales.

As I mentioned above, the 360 has been in third place worldwide by a comfortable margin for 7 straight months now after announcing that winning Europe was very important. Not only that, but they've fallen behind in their strongest territory. Something's not working.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If my 360 dies out of warranty, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat (unless the Xbox 720 is out and is BC.) I have too many 360 games to want to do anything else. Given the high attach rate, I suspect there are millions of 360 users who would be in the same boat.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-18-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
If my 360 dies out of warranty, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat (unless the Xbox 720 is out and is BC.) I have too many 360 games to want to do anything else. Given the high attach rate, I suspect there are millions of 360 users who would be in the same boat.

That would be a coup for Microsoft if that occurred. They create a system, sell millions of consoles, a lot of them break, and those same users buy another console to replace the old broken one. In some warped sense, they'd almost end up being rewarded with increased sales for their design screw-ups on the earlier models. At worst, they'd get additional revenue to mitigate the costs from the RROD warranty repairs.

Your mention of the 'Xbox 720' brings up another interesting point. FFXIII is not expected on the 360 until 2010 at the very earliest according to the lead developer. If the Xbox 720 ends up being released in late 2010 or sometime in 2011, do they hold off on the 360 version of FFXIII and create an enhanced version for the 720 or do they release it for the 360 and use backwards compatibility on the new system. A FFXIII release timed with the 720 release would be an interesting move.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

Does the MGS PS3 bundle have backwards compatibility? In the UK I think it is just a regular 40gb PS3. There has been no backwards compatibility at all since Sony phased out the 60gb and replaced it with the 40gb version.

Last edited by Ryan S : 07-18-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Your mention of the 'Xbox 720' brings up another interesting point. FFXIII is not expected on the 360 until 2010 at the very earliest according to the lead developer. If the Xbox 720 ends up being released in late 2010 or sometime in 2011, do they hold off on the 360 version of FFXIII and create an enhanced version for the 720 or do they release it for the 360 and use backwards compatibility on the new system. A FFXIII release timed with the 720 release would be an interesting move.

I don't think there is any chance that it will be held off until the 720. They have already said the version will be released at the same time as the PS3 version and there have been articles where they have talked about their "patented" compression techniques that will allow them to maintain the same quality in the cut scenes on the 360 version as the PS3 version without having too many discs (although that number hasn't been defined.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-18-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Does the MGS PS3 bundle have backwards compatibility? In the UK I think it is just a regular 40gb PS3. There has been no backwards compatibility at all since Sony phased out the 60gb and replaced it with the 40gb version.

Correct, the MGS4 bundle in the U.S. and Japan has backwards compatibility. The one in Europe does not. The new core 80 GB PS3 will not have backwards compatibility in any regions.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think there is any chance that it will be held off until the 720. They have already said the version will be released at the same time as the PS3 version and there have been articles where they have talked about their "patented" compression techniques that will allow them to maintain the same quality in the cut scenes on the 360 version as the PS3 version without having too many discs (although that number hasn't been defined.)

A lot of those disc size issues with ports should be resolved when the 720 comes out since it will likely have a BR disc drive. You'll have the same size disks at that point.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Trailer for new PSN title, The Last Guy......

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/241650.html

Full install of 360 games on HDD will reduce load times by 30%......

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327736
Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A lot of those disc size issues with ports should be resolved when the 720 comes out since it will likely have a BR disc drive. You'll have the same size disks at that point.

My point is that there are multiple articles already out from Square execs saying it will be a 360 release and they will be the same quality as they have this "patented" compression technique that the disks issue won't be significant. I don't think they'll back out of their very public statements that this will definitely be a 360 release and will be of the "same quality as the PS3 version" and suddenly switch it to the 720.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-18-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
My point is that there are multiple articles already out from Square execs saying it will be a 360 release and they will be the same quality as they have this "patented" compression technique that the disks issue won't be significant. I don't think they'll back out of their very public statements that this will definitely be a 360 release and suddenly switch it to the 720.

I understand. I wasn't speaking about just FFXIII, but rather ports in general. I should have been more specific.

I noticed you added the "same quality as the PS3 version" for some reason after I quoted your post. It's going to be a port of the PS3 version, so one would assume that it's the same game, no?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-18-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have both a PS3 and a 360. If the 360 broke, I'd probably just stick with the PS3 at current price levels. The main thing that has made me buy the 360 versions of games is the opportunity to play FOFC guys online. I still prefer the PS3 controller to the 360, although the 360 is a good controller. Years of muscle memory make me prefer the PS3 controller.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-18-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice feature for European PS3 owners. The PS3 can record shows as a DVR while you play games. I must say I'm a bit jealous. Icy and others will have to post how it works.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=191896
Old 07-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand. I wasn't speaking about just FFXIII, but rather ports in general. I should have been more specific.

I noticed you added the "same quality as the PS3 version" for some reason after I quoted your post. It's going to be a port of the PS3 version, so one would assume that it's the same game, no?

I added it a few seconds after I posted. I added that because there are a bunch of Sony fanboys on other boards saying the 360 version is going to "be vastly inferior" and other similar things.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I added it a few seconds after I posted. I added that because there are a bunch of Sony fanboys on other boards saying the 360 version is going to "be vastly inferior" and other similar things.

I think there's a good chance you may see differences because the tools being used on the PS3 version are propriatary. But I don't think that will be a reduction in quality. Square's got 2 years to put it together and they're not know for putting out inferior products. A bad port to the 360 would turn that user base off pretty quickly. I sincerely doubt they'll make that mistake and I'm sure you agree with that.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #29
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
That would be a coup for Microsoft if that occurred. They create a system, sell millions of consoles, a lot of them break, and those same users buy another console to replace the old broken one. In some warped sense, they'd almost end up being rewarded with increased sales for their design screw-ups on the earlier models.

In the spirit of the thread, same as the old boss.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

I hear my PS2 is a valuable antique. I still have my launch day PS2 and use it to play the old GH games.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting comments from Square Enix. First, he comments that the Japan PS3 version of FFXIII will still be released on schedule and will not be delayed by the 360 announcement (Japan usually gets the FF games 4-6 months before the other regions). Second, he claims that an 'announcement that will shock fans' is coming on August 2-3 in Japan. What exactly would be so 'shocking'?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168827
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #32
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Yup I bought a 2nd PS2 in 2006 when the first one died, and would absolutely buy a second 360 if needed at this point.

Last edited by Radii : 07-18-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Yup I bought a 2nd PS2 in 2006 when the first one died, and would absolutely buy a second 360 if needed at this point.

With that said, I don't advocate that either situation was consumer-friendly or should be ignored, hence the reason for my original criticism. Just because Sony screwed up last generation doesn't mean that MS gets a pass for this generation because they're now even in some way. Sony obviously ramped up the quality in the PS3. Hopefully, MS will do the same knowing there's over $2 billion reasons to do so.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone else notice that Microsoft didn't release a NPD press release thus far? Usually, all three console makers have a press release out at this point detailing what they did in the past month.

Sony? Check.

Nintendo? Check.

Microsoft? Silence.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #35
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I hear my PS2 is a valuable antique. I still have my launch day PS2 and use it to play the old GH games.

Mine lasted from October 2000 to January 2002. The replacement unit lasted from January 2002 to August 2007, at which point I loaned it to my cousin since I had a 60 GB PS3 capable of playing my old games.

And, you know, that's something that comes to mind re: Sony's schizophrenia on backwards compatibility. Clearly there IS a subset of their audience that cares about it.

A subset of their audience which bought their systems to take advantage of it. If the new 80 GB "Core" eschews that entirely, and they stop selling the one WITH the feature...what are they going to do for people who spent $600 to get the BC system, should it break down?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mine lasted from October 2000 to January 2002. The replacement unit lasted from January 2002 to August 2007.

Similiar to my experience. My launch day PS2 lasted just under 2 years before dying. By that point, I had enough games I bought a 2nd one which lasted 5 years. Last year, I bought my 3rd PS2 (although I considered buying a PS3 for BC.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-18-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #37
Cuckoo
College Starter

Still have my launch day PS2. Never had a problem with it. That's part of the reason I decided to buy a PS3 last month, though there were many other reasons for me.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #38
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I had two PS2, both of which died. My 360 on the other hand has only died once and overall should last longer then either PS2 did as fully operational. (The last PS2 limped along for a while, playign some stuff and not others)

Different experiences all around....wowsers.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #39
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That's a pretty broad assumption you draw in regards to backwards compatibility. It may be true to some consumers, but you state it as though it's a fact that all consumers covet backwards compatibility. You can't state that as fact based on a 200K jump in sales anymore than you can point to the bump in sales when the 40 GB machine was released as proof that they don't value backwards compatibility.

"Consumers value backwards compatibility" and "all consumers covet backwards compatibility" don't quite read the same to me but whatever. I feel most people could tell that I wasn't trying to speak for every prospective PS3 buyer in the country but making a general observation based on the evidence at hand.

Let's look at the numbers. PS3 sales in America by month since launch with SKU history from bastion of complete truth Wikipedia:

Nov/2006 197,000
Dec/2006 491,000
Jan/2007 244,000
Feb/2007 127,000
Mar/2007 130,000
Apr/2007 82,000 (April 11- Sony discontinues 20GB PS3)
May/2007 82,000
Jun/2007 99,000
Jul/2007 159,000 (60GB price drop, $600 -> $500, $600 80GB Motorstorm bundle announced for August)
Aug/2007 131,000
Sep/2007 119,000
Oct/2007 121,000 (80GB price drop, $600 -> $500, $400 40GB SKU announced, out early November)
Nov/2007 466,000 (omg sales did go up after BC was taken away, oh wait its November plus the 80GB SKU that people wanted just had a price drop)
Dec/2007 798,000
Jan/2008 269,000
Feb/2008 281,000 (MGS4 bundle announced Feb. 28)
Mar/2008 257,000
Apr/2008 187,000 (most of the 80GB SKUs gone by April, sales decline with no BC available)
May/2008 209,000
Jun/2008 406,000 (sales practically double on the strength of backwards compatibility, MGS4, and Wal-Mart gift cards)

People in general do seem to care about being able to play their PS2 libraries on the PS3...

Might as well join in with my PS2 reliability history, I never had to buy a new one but had to open the thing up several times to clean the lens on the disc drive. That's the most trouble I've had with any console, my SNES, PS1, DC, Wii, and PS3 have all been trouble free although the Dreamcast might not work any longer. It's been a few years since I've tried.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #40
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jan/2008 269,000
Feb/2008 281,000 (MGS4 bundle announced Feb. 28)
Mar/2008 257,000
Apr/2008 187,000 (most of the 80GB SKUs gone by April, sales decline with no BC available)
May/2008 209,000
Jun/2008 406,000 (sales practically double on the strength of backwards compatibility, MGS4, and Wal-Mart gift cards)

I don't know how much of a jump I'd put into any one of those things you mention. I have a strong feeling that a good number of people delayed buying a PS3 because they were waiting for the MGS4 pack-in system, which is just a far superior deal to the 40 GB for $400. They had a nice little artificial boost in sales last month, but the lost sales in April and May was quite foolish on Sony's part.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #41
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I don't know how much of a jump I'd put into any one of those things you mention. I have a strong feeling that a good number of people delayed buying a PS3 because they were waiting for the MGS4 pack-in system, which is just a far superior deal to the 40 GB for $400. They had a nice little artificial boost in sales last month, but the lost sales in April and May was quite foolish on Sony's part.

But *why* is it a far superior deal?

I mean, the game itself is $60, so you're paying an extra $40. For what? an upgrade from Sixaxis to DualShock 3? An extra 40 gigs of HD space? Backwards compatibility?

I mean, the Sixaxis is $5 cheaper than the Dualshock 3 at retail, which means the other two features are really costing you an extra $35, so it depends on what's more important to you, the buyer - the larger HDD, or the ability to play PS2 games. Considering the HDD is easily upgradeable, for anybody doing the mental calculus, I have to think that the perception that the 80 GB is just a "far superior deal" has to be including the BC in the equation.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #42
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Updated LTDs:

USA only

PS2: ~42.4 million
NDS: ~20.8 million
PSP: ~12.0 million
Wii: ~10.9 million
360: ~10.5 million
PS3: ~4.9 million

Worldwide (2008 in parenthesis)

Wii: 28.1m (8.8m)
360: 18.2m (2.6m)
PS3: 13.0m (4.2m)
Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #43
SackAttack
Head Coach

So I was just snooping through the PlayStation Store terms of service looking for information on video rentals for a friend of mine, and I found THIS lovely little nugget:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSN Terms of Service
Subscriptions may not be shared among any PSN accounts, including the Master Account with its associated Sub Accounts. All subscriptions will be automatically renewed unless you cancel the subscription. For automatic renewal, your wallet must contain funds in an amount sufficient to cover the subscription's automatic renewal cost, or your subscription will be terminated. If you do not have sufficient funds in your wallet and you have previously entered your credit card billing information, your credit card will be automatically charged a minimum amount determined by SCEA in order to renew your subscription automatically, even if the amount charged exceeds the cost of the subscription. Any difference between the amount charged and the sum of the cost of the subscription and existing balance will be credited to your wallet. Subscription charges may be increased at the end of each subscription period. If charges are increased, you will be asked to confirm whether to continue with the subscription. You may cancel subscriptions via PSN Account Management. Cancellation will take effect from the next renewal of that subscription. Except as otherwise stated in this Agreement, you will not receive a refund for any subscriptions paid in advance.

The white bolded text, meh, Microsoft does the same thing. If you've got a credit card on file, used to purchase points or what-have-you, you get automatically billed for Live renewal. It's the red part that concerns me.

I mean, I see the words "minimum amount," and my first thought is that it's akin to "$5 minimum purchase for credit/debit" signs that you see at smaller retailers, but the concern is that they don't state what the minimum amount is in this case. Just that it's determined by Sony.

And since you can't get a refund without terminating your account, it means that, theoretically, having your subscription renewed automatically obligates you to additional purchases from the PlayStation Store.

Cute. And definitely incentive not to store my credit card information on my PSN account, since they do allow one-time use of cards, without storage.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #44
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Games 11-20 are up (no numbers), here's the top 20:

1. PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4, Konami, 6/08.................774.6K*
2. NDS Guitar Hero On Tour, Activision, 6/08..........422.3K
3. 360 Ninja Gaiden II, Microsoft, 6/08..................372.7K
4. Wii Fit with Balance Board, NOA, 5/08................372.7K
5. Wii Play with Remote, NOA, 2/07.......................359.1K
6. 360 Battlefield: Bad Company, EA, 6/08.............346.8K
7. Wii Mario Kart with Wheel, NOA, 4/08.................322.4K
8. Wii LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08.............294.5K
9. NDS LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08..........267.8K
10. PS2 LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08.........260.3K
11. 360 Grand Theft Auto IV
12. Wii Rock Band
13. Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl
14. Wii Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
15. DS Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
16. 360 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
17. PS2 Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
18. DS New Super Mario Bros.
19. PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV
20. 360 LEGO Indiana Jones

Wii - 7
360 - 5
DS - 4
PS2 - 2
PS3 - 2

Mario and Sonic is still charting, those legs have helped the game (Wii and DS versions combined) to hit ten million sold worldwide.

kotaku.com link
Old 07-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #45
MJ4H
Coordinator

Mario and Sonic is great on both platforms. I have both versions.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #46
ColtCrazy
College Starter

After the failure of football on the Wii, I'm now looking to buy a 360 or a PS3. I've bribed my wife with a shopping trip, so I should be able to get one within the next month. I honestly have no idea what to get. Both have pros. With the 360, I know what I am getting because I have an Xbox. I loved the exclusive KOTR and Fable, though I've only heard of a Fable 2 coming for the 360, no new KOTR games. For the PS3, there's no exclusives I'd play but my wife would get mileage out of the BR because she's a Disney fan and they are going BR exclusive, though she's told me to buy a system based on the games. It's a toss up for me right now.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #47
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The biggest reason I have a 360 over a PS3 is because everyone I know has a 360. I've looked at the PS3 for the BR player and "The Show", but don't think I'd use it as much since I wouldn't be able to play online with friends.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #48
KWhit
Coordinator

Well, for me right now, the 360 still would be my choice because of the game lineup. There are a lot of great games that have been released on the 360 over the past couple of years that I still want to go back and play. Of course, the question for you then becomes does that make up for the integrated BluRay in the PS3?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the upcoming Square Enix announcement will likely be a new PS3 exclusive to replace the multiplatform move of FFXIII........

http://n4g.com/events_e32008/News-172631.aspx

Konami decides to join the ranks of developers that screw up. MGO expansion has some big issues in it which will likely kill any chance that game has of succeeding........

http://kotaku.com/5027126/konami-sor...o-fix-in-sight

NASCAR developers decide to not let NCAA developers have all the fun in regards to games released with big-time bugs.............

http://kotaku.com/5027069/goshdangit...done-blowed-up
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #50
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
After the failure of football on the Wii, I'm now looking to buy a 360 or a PS3. I've bribed my wife with a shopping trip, so I should be able to get one within the next month. I honestly have no idea what to get. Both have pros. With the 360, I know what I am getting because I have an Xbox. I loved the exclusive KOTR and Fable, though I've only heard of a Fable 2 coming for the 360, no new KOTR games. For the PS3, there's no exclusives I'd play but my wife would get mileage out of the BR because she's a Disney fan and they are going BR exclusive, though she's told me to buy a system based on the games. It's a toss up for me right now.

The pros/cons have been discussed quite a bit, so I won't bother with that too much. What I would note is that the Leipzig Games Conference and the Tokyo Game Show are both coming up in the next few weeks. The game announcements at those two shows are supposed to dwarf what was seen at E3. I'd hold off on any decisions until then to get a better feel for the games that will be coming on each of the systems.

Also, a 360 purchase should likely wait until the new Jasper systems come out.