Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Things to do in Foxboro? (A.K.A., Weekend In New England)

I'm going to the IU at UMass game next weekend at Gilette Stadium, and was wondering if the FOFC contingent has any good recommendations for entertainment in the area that night. The wife and I will be celebrating our nine-year anniversary.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-04-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm going to the IU at UMass game next weekend at Gilette Stadium, and was wondering if the FOFC contingent has any good recommendations for entertainment in the area that night. The wife and I will be celebrating our nine-year anniversary.

The Foxborough area is totally Fozzie's neck of the woods. I imagine there's probably a nice restaurant in "Patriot Place" which is the big outdoor-mall there.

Not sure if there are any other nice places thereabouts.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Where are you staying? Foxboro? Is Boston/Providence out of the question? Looking for a fancy dinner or a beer joint? Or something else?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I go to Foxboro often for Revolutions soccer games. Its kind of out by itself away from the big city, so you pretty much are at the mercy of what is in the area. That said, there are a bunch of good restaurants and bars and such there that are great. Often times there might be other things going on in those places, but otherwise its mostly just a bunch of shopping areas and stores near by.

The closest subway station I think is like 10 miles or so away (I am guessing Franklin is closest), and the Special train that runs to the stadium I know run during Pats and Revs games, but no idea if they run on Saturday. If you have some way to get to the city, I would just go into Boston for the night instead.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think we are looking at staying in Foxboro, although Providence might be in play too. We'd be looking more for a nice (but not TOO nice) restaurant.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-04-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Foxboro is a small/suburban town. I might actually suggest somewhere in Patriot Place (Gillette Stadium is part of the complex). It's an outdoor 'mall' with lots of restaurants.
http://www.patriot-place.com/dining.aspx
Everything from burgers to upscale dining to drinking/music. There is also a nice movie theater.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Agreed with what the others are saying... If you're renting a car, make sure you have one with a GPS (or have a phone with one). One specific thought, if you're not going to be staying near Gilette, add extra time to get there, Route 1 has constantly been upgraded but it is very full on game day (not sure how many for UMass, but be prepared)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

We'll be driving (we live in Connecticut).

Patriot Place sounds interesting, although I do object to the name, being a Peyton Manning fan.

Thanks for the heads up on the traffic, although I can't imagine IU at UMass will be a big draw.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
We'll be driving (we live in Connecticut).

Patriot Place sounds interesting, although I do object to the name, being a Peyton Manning fan.

Thanks for the heads up on the traffic, although I can't imagine IU at UMass will be a big draw.

I've heard on the radio that they're expecting a decent crowd - 20k plus. I think if you're driving up you should really do Providence or Boston for a nice anniversary dinner (although TBH I'm not familiar with the restaurants around Foxborough or in Patriot Place).
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For an anniversary dinner? I don't know of many nice places. I guess there is an olive garden there somewhere which is about as nice as I can think of for food there. Most of the places are chain restaurants or sports bars around the stadium. Maybe there is a place I don't remember, but honestly when we go to soccer games there, we probably aren't looking for too fancy

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Yelp | Search Businesses In Foxboro

You're a ways outside of Boston, especially coming from Conn.. Foxboro is a small town, so I wouldn't get my hopes up; although I've never been to the Patriots mall.

What I would recommend is to keep on driving after the game and spend the rest of the weekend down on Cape Cod if you want a nice anniversary (or drive up and stay in Boston).
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I've heard on the radio that they're expecting a decent crowd - 20k plus. I think if you're driving up you should really do Providence or Boston for a nice anniversary dinner (although TBH I'm not familiar with the restaurants around Foxborough or in Patriot Place).

I'd recommend a steak and cheese at The Fours, if Boston were in play.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 09-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote