Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

A Streak Will Die: Chicago Cubs vs. Cleveland Indians. 2016 World Series

I can believe that there isn't a thread yet about the most remarkable sporting result in any of our lifetimes. The Chicago Cubs are in the World Series!

And to make it even better, they're playing the Cleveland Indians!

Someone's futility streak is going to die this season...man, I hope its the Cubs'

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
hollmt
High School Varsity

It is pretty exciting. I haven't watched/listened to any baseball all season, but have watched a good handful of playoff games and was rooting for both Cleveland and Chicago to get to the Series, more for historical context than anything else. I am a Reds fan so I don't have a vested interest in either team although I am from Ohio, living in Indy which makes surrounded by bandwagon Cubs fans. And, yes, you can tell who they are.

I have to root for the Indians though. Cubs are there, so some sort of history will be taken care of and that is all that matters to me. I cannot bring myself to root further for the Cubs now. My biggest fear was when it was 2 games to 1 LA, that LA was going to beat the Cubs and then beat the Indians as well and just destroy the world.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Very exciting time for us Cubs fans. Definitely looking forward to watching a good series which hopefully will culminate in a Cubs win.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

There was a suggestion being put out there for Charlie Sheen to come in dressed as Rick Vaughan, from the bullpen, to Wild Thing, to throw the first pitch on Tuesday. That would have been one of the most classic things ever.

And then stodgy baseball stepped in and said naw, we'll stay boring and not do that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

Go Indians!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Chief. That would have been totally awesome if they had done that.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wasn't that Sheen's own suggestion?
Old 10-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

I think so, yes.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'll be at Game 4 in Chicago.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #10
Drake
assmaster

I'm a Red Sox guy, so don't have a serious rooting interest here (outside of the fact that I'd like to see Jon Lester do well, but I'm always going to have a man crush on Tito, too).

What I most look forward to here is being able to spot the bandwagon baseball fans who can't figure out which "C" logo is "their" team.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Guys, guys, guys.....

Either of these teams win you realize it's a clear and unambiguous sign of the apocalypse, right?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It's utterly fascinating what kinds of facts you can find about "the last time the Cubs/Indians were in/won the World Series". The most interesting ones I've seen or thought about (just about all have to do with the Cubs since the Indians won in 1948 and have been back several times since):

The date the Cubs last won the World Series is closer to the date of the Louisiana Purchase than today. Not far removed from that, the last day of the presidency of John Adams is closer to the last Cubs World Series win than today is.

The Cubs have never played in a televised World Series, nor an integrated one.

The state of Arizona was admitted, eventually got its own baseball team, and won a World Series in the time since the Cubs last won the World Series.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 10-23-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

I thought it started with some Twitter Indians fans saying he should do it and then Sheen saying he would be honored. The way I heard it anyway.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm not a baseball fan, but am happy to see both teams make the World Series. As a Hoosiers football fan, I know what it is like to root for a team that never wins a championship. Happy that one of these fanbases gets thrown a bone finally. Go Cubs!