Home

Backbreaker Updated Hands-On Preview: Angle of Attack (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Updated Hands-On Preview: Angle of Attack (Gamespot) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Backbreaker Updated Hands-On Preview: Angle of Attack (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
guys, is this really true? someone please pinch me so i am sure this is not a dream or fantasy..

Are we really given a choice this year? Are we finally getting the Football innovation we all deserve as gamers?

This feels like the end of the matrix trilogy when the dark clouds are finally lifted, and the beautiful ray of sunshine beams down on all of us.
It will be GLORIOUS!

just to have another option really....one that gives us customization...one that also gives us new realistic physics...and realistic control/gameplay "with the whole focus/non focus QBing"....can't wait.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
The interaction between Oline Dline looks...stiff. At first it looked like there may have been some suction in the blocking at the 3 min mark but after rewinding it a few times it looks like that was the appropriate sequence of actions to occur. I will have to see more footage but I am holding it in question right now.

Overall liked the video. I was unsure about the angles that were first being shown but the plays near the end of the video really left a positive impression. Meaning the Dline was up close and personal and the DBs felt like they had more view of the field.

No injuries is kind of a let down but I think I can live with that. Injuries are both a blessing and a curse for realism. I remember as a kid turning them off so no one would get hurt haha but as I grew up I turned them on to add another level to the game. I am left wondering how progression will work and the ratings system as well. We can have back ups but how it all works...

Also buying players is an interesting concept. They said you would have to get better players to help you win as you progressed in the leagues so I am again left wondering about the scouting system, progression, and the ratings. So many answers today but so many questions are left unanswered that really matter about the longevity of the game.
Injuries are not a blessing and a curse for realism. They're essential, especially for a football video game, for realism. Realism is a "blessing and a cursre". If your QB gets lit up it's a blessing for the offense that he can't get injured, but it's not a blessing for the defense.

No injuries renders the franchise mode utterly worthless. This will do BB in.

Let us see what is stacked up against Backbreaker's success:
One, they're without the NFL license. Two, the Equipment looks extremely akward. Three, there will be no injuries in the game.

Now considering the fact that consumers want realism, even though many of them may not recognize realism, or lack there of in gameplay, how does NatMo expect them take a sports game seriously when it has no injuries ?

BB is missing three major components of realism: real NFL teams and players, authenic appearing equiment, and injuries. I don't see how they're going to succeed.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #43
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
BB is missing three major components of realism: real NFL teams and players, authenic appearing equiment, and injuries. I don't see how they're going to succeed.
EA has had 20+ years to perfect madden and they still cannot get it right, yet you are so quick to write off this 1st year game?

Try and see beyond the actual game for a minute.. and you will see how this will change sports gaming and finally bring us into the next generation.

Its not about whether this game is perfect or not man.. just open up your eyes for a minute and see the bigger picture here.

They have already succeeded..
Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #44
Banned

Quote:
EA has had 20+ years to perfect madden and they still cannot get it right, yet you are so quick to write off this 1st year game?

Try and see beyond the actual game for a minute.. and you will see how this will change sports gaming and finally bring us into the next generation.

Its not about whether this game is perfect or not man.. just open up your eyes for a minute and see the bigger picture here.

This game has to sell well to change sports gaming. If it flops,which it will, the euphoria engine won't get much publicity and won't cause any change in the industry. Other developers have to feel threatened by this tech to actually want to scrap their own engine and adopt euphoria.

Don't give me that " it's their first release" nonsense. They've been working on this game for three years and sports video games have had injuries since Sega Genesis.

Let's see: there's no license, goofy equipment, and no injuries.

This game won't do anything. Without injuries, they've already failed.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #45
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
This game has to sell well to change sports gaming. If it flops,which it will, the euphoria engine won't get much publicity and won't cause any change in the industry. Other developers have to feel threatened by this tech to actually want to scrap their own engine and adopt euphoria.

Don't give me that " it's their first release" nonsense. They've been working on this game for three years and sports video games have had injuries since Sega Genesis.

Let's see: there's no license, goofy equipment, and no injuries.

This game won't do anything. Without injuries, they've already failed.
ok man.. so go back to playing Madden so you can have your colored cleats, hand towels, and injuries that don't matter..

the rest of us here in this forum are excited that we finally have a choice and some new technology for the first time in years..

go troll somewhere else man.. you are clueless
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #46
Pro

Now this is real INOVATION! New camera angles look sick! Cant wait to play from a defensive perspective and the tackles looks light years ahead of that other football game
Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #47
Pro

AC IS ART's Arena

OVR: 15

I'm officially on the Backbreaker wagon. Can't wait to play as a FS or 3-4 OLB(If its in the game).
Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:

I agree with this statement. BB isnt only being made to sell as a video game. It is being sold as the next generation of all sports gaming. The amount of money they are going to make off the engine is where the real profit is at.

I may have worded my opinion about injuries poorly. I meant that I both like and dislike injuries. They are a blessing for realism but when they happen they are a curse. Meaning I want realism but when it happens I find myself biting my tongue. Nobody likes to draft Matthew Staford with the first of first and lose him to a career ending injury in pre season.(I was simming it)

I honestly am on the fence if injuries make or break the game for me. I still need to see how or even if there is progression, What the rating system is like, scouting, ect ect before I say that the fact that there are no injuries hurts the game. I will buy the game because I love football and it looks like this is the first "real" football game in over 5 years that will represent football well.

Your other points about the game having funny looking uniforms and NFL teams are IMO fruitless. Yes a great deal of people will pass on the game because of those two things. Yes people will pass on the game because of the action angle. But as I said before the real sales of the game will not be the ending of BB. The fact is the few people who actually get to play BB are going to realize that NO other sports game will be able to compare when it comes to a realistic physic world and interaction. Devs who are ambitious will want to use this engine(meaning spending money to buy it) and will probably pay/hire some of the devs to teach them how to use it.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 03-02-2010 at 03:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »