Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #801
****
 
ubernoob's Arena
 
OVR: 24
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Posts: 15,522
Re: Xbox 720

Except SimCity and D3 did institute online-only as a form of DRM "just because they can."
__________________
Steam name - ubernoobnth
PSN ID -nthubernoob
Switch FC - SW-8414-3874-0897
Battle.Net BTag -ubernoob#1403


Twitch
ubernoob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #802
Hall Of Fame
 
kingkilla56's Arena
 
OVR: 31
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Syracuse University
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Xbox 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Because the benefits haven't been leaked/rumored. Like SimCity and Diablo, they aren't doing it just because they can (region play/features and the real money auction house in their cases). 'So we can deliver the best targeted ads' isn't going to fly either.

I wouldn't be surprised if mandatory kinect and online are simply the common denominators of the environment, rather than a requirement to even look in the consoles general direction like some of these replies are expecting. Some games may require one or the other, but I'd be surprised to see the console require both 100% of the time.

Stop making yourselves look silly with the spy stuff though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I cant see the benefit for requiring the games to be online other than them pushing this online revolution into high gear. There is no beneficial why anyone should not be allowed to play their games offline other than them wanting access to your xbox.

The box being functional should not be a benefit of 24/7 connection. Its as simple as that.

At this point I hope Microsoft is letting these rumors set in, only to debunk them whenever they finally reveal the thing. I guess everyone talking about it now will reap rewards when the rumors prove untrue. But I doubt it.
__________________
Tweet Tweet
kingkilla56 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #803
MVP
 
mestevo's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 16,937
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Except SimCity and D3 did institute online-only as a form of DRM "just because they can."
Region play and the real money auction house are why these require online, they're bigger efforts and more significant than DRM. Or has someone been able to figure out an offline region play yet?

Those aren't small token efforts tacked on for piracy's sake, but rather core features of the game, whether you use the RMAH or not.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
mestevo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #804
MVP
 
mestevo's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 16,937
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
I cant see the benefit for requiring the games to be online other than them pushing this online revolution into high gear. There is no beneficial why anyone should not be allowed to play their games offline other than them wanting access to your xbox.

The box being functional should not be a benefit of 24/7 connection. Its as simple as that.

At this point I hope Microsoft is letting these rumors set in, only to debunk them whenever they finally reveal the thing. I guess everyone talking about it now will reap rewards when the rumors prove untrue. But I doubt it.
Unless every game has an online component. I also think you misunderstood that I think it will be an option, but for developers to consider online connectivity to be the lowest common denominator.

All of this silliness will be forgotten if they have a good announcement presser the way Sony did.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
mestevo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #805
****
 
ubernoob's Arena
 
OVR: 24
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Posts: 15,522
Re: Xbox 720

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...y-easily-done/

Any form of always online (save for MMOs, which is their main draw is being in a persistent world) is just a cheap form of DRM. D3, SimCity are not MMOs despite what they say.

As for D3? Simple. All they need to do is the same as d2, where your single player accounts are separate from online. It's not that hard.
__________________
Steam name - ubernoobnth
PSN ID -nthubernoob
Switch FC - SW-8414-3874-0897
Battle.Net BTag -ubernoob#1403


Twitch

Last edited by ubernoob; 04-07-2013 at 12:05 AM.
ubernoob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #806
Gaming Fool.
 
PAPERNUT's Arena
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Big Stone Gap, Virginia
Posts: 1,594
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Xbox 720

Lots of good points, theories, etc in this thread so far, but none of it will matter in the end. Little Johnny will get that new Xbox in the end just to play COD like his other friends. He will drive mommy and daddy crazy till they give in to shut him up no matter the cost. Big Johnny will get one as well, just like he does for Madden and NCAA every year even though he says he will not, only to buy it again and go back to the forums a week later and whine about it.

MS knows all this as they have seen it for a decade now. It will not matter if they do all the things people are flipping out about as they know a large majority will still buy in the end. They have set the tone(DLC, Online, etc) ever since they got into the console business and there is no reason for that to change now, especially since the consumer has not changed.
__________________
PSN/XBL: PAPERNUT
Steam ID: Papernut4991
https://go.twitch.tv/papernut4991
Twitter
YouTube
RCTID
PAPERNUT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #807
MVP
 
mestevo's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 16,937
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...y-easily-done/

Any form of always online (save for MMOs, which is their main draw is being in a persistent world) is just a cheap form of DRM. D3, SimCity are not MMOs despite what they say.

As for D3? Simple. All they need to do is the same as d2, where your single player accounts are separate from online. It's not that hard.
So the answer is no, to region play offline then? That's like only being able to play Call of Duty single player. The interoperability of 16-20 cities at one time that may or may not be evolving as you play your own city IS SimCity. Not just a tacked on DRM "just because they can"

As for an online/offline mode for D3... one of the more reasonable suggestions in this thread, but given the option of putting in more work for an IP that is going to sell well anyways then they're going to go with their vision 9 times out of ten. They certainly have a weaker case of the two, but that's mostly because of the RMAH backlash too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
mestevo is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #808
Pro
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Aug 2012
Re: Xbox 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by papernut
Lots of good points, theories, etc in this thread so far, but none of it will matter in the end. Little Johnny will get that new Xbox in the end just to play COD like his other friends. He will drive mommy and daddy crazy till they give in to shut him up no matter the cost. Big Johnny will get one as well, just like he does for Madden and NCAA every year even though he says he will not, only to buy it again and go back to the forums a week later and whine about it.

MS knows all this as they have seen it for a decade now. It will not matter if they do all the things people are flipping out about as they know a large majority will still buy in the end. They have set the tone(DLC, Online, etc) ever since they got into the console business and there is no reason for that to change now, especially since the consumer has not changed.
I am Big Johnny.

Microsoft absolutely has my loyalty with a perfect controller and incredible online experience/userface.

They will have to completely crap the bed for me not to buy whatever they release in the fall.

My only request is blu-ray movie playback and not just games.
Dos_Santos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Top -