Home

Xbox One

This is a discussion on Xbox One within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #401
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Xbox 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
If this happens, so long as the PS4 has wireless capabilities (like the current 360 model) that will probably be the route I'm going.
Why wouldn't the PS4 have wireless capabilities?

All of the PS3s do,

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #402
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
Say what you want about my opinion, but I will rejoice when all gamestops and ebgames close there doors for good.. I hate both of these stores and haven't shopped there since a teenager, now I'm 34..they trade in vaule for what they give you is abysmal!!!! Its like being a kid and being bullied and having ur candy stolen...those two stores are a total joke and I wouldn't blame MS or Sony from stopping used games...im sorry if anyone here really likes this stores more power to you..

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
It is their business model and we get to choose whether or not to do business with them. More importantly it isn't as lucrative as many think. If you buy a $60 game and trade it in a year later for $10 they may put it on the shelf for $50 but there is no telling when or if they will ever sell that game. Most people seem to think they when they trade in a game for $10 when the company sells it for $50 that the company is automatically making a 400% profit, but they only get that when they sell it. Anyone who has ever been inside of an Gamestop knows how many used games are sitting on the shelves. Each of those used games represents money they have tied up in inventory. No they are not hurting for cash...but should a business not be profitable?

To me these proposals really hurt college students and younger. Personally I used Gamestop a lot when I was in college and high school and couldn't afford many games. I would wait for one of their trade-in specials and I was able to play a lot of games I otherwise would not have that way. Now that I'm out of college and working full time I do not have to resort to that, but all of those people who are still in school do not have that luxury. And while the rumors won't greatly inhibit my ability to purchase games it will turn me off from any new consoles. I don't like connecting online unless I'm actually going to play online, it adds time to the loading that is just unnecessary to me and it is using bandwidth for no good reason (not to mention the problems that could potentially arise if your internet goes down). The proposals for eliminating the used game industry also eliminate taking a game to a game to a friend's house to play with all of the piracy protection strategies which reduces the value as a customer for some games.

Last edited by KSUowls; 02-06-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #403
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Oh it's going to get messy if this is all true, that's as far as I will go into it.

Now what it does do is remove 10 titles a year or more that I would get for Xbox. I will now purchase most of my games on PC for half the cost the consoles will sell them. Then I will just buy my select 3 to 4 titles a year on Xbox, like NCAA, madden, nba 2k, halo.

I won't be dumping thousands in games on next generation, not when I have the option to get the same thing for cheaper on PC.

Only way I see this being a positive is if they start having digital sales similar to the Steam model. If not I can see PC making a strong push again if consoles go this route.

Sent from da lil phone.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #404
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

The whole tying games to a console isn't a big deal to me. It sucks but what can you do...

Being online 100% of the time is. So if I'm home and my Internet goes out or XBL goes out I can't play?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #405
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

I just don't want to believe any of this. Do EA and Ubisoft or Activision have that kind of push to block used games on the next xbox and playstation? They really would be biting the hand that feeds them.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #406
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

So the game companies have no problem raising prices of games, filling games with advertisements, releasing buggy games and patching them later, releasing part of a game and selling other parts later as DLC.

But if I want to buy or sell a used game, that's a problem?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #407
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
The whole tying games to a console isn't a big deal to me. It sucks but what can you do...

Being online 100% of the time is. So if I'm home and my Internet goes out or XBL goes out I can't play?
That's the main problem here imo. Especially when just last week, Live wouldn't let some accounts (including mine) online for a few hours do to a problem with their network. I just played some NHL while it got fixed instead.

If Xbox did go with the no-used games policy, I would hope they would have Steam-like sales and possibly even rentals. Definitely would not care at that point.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #408
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Yeah we're missing the positives with the negatives, will I be able to stream Xbox games to my PC, how much more will Smart Glass be able to do, etc. Reasons that an Xbox might have to be connected all of the time... but out of context could be why it's being suggested as a requirement to use it at all.

The DRM could be a capability, but not a requirement, also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »