Home

OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

This is a discussion on OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Most Anticipated Sports Games of 2023
Five Ways EA Sports PGA Tour Can Improve Golf Career Modes
Undisputed Early Access Impressions - Coming for the Belt

Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #81
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

I have a 9 month old and my gaming time on my PC is few and far between with it in my office upstairs is all. 360 in the living room gets a little more love these days. When I do have time to hide from my son and wife upstairs, I'll fire up a game or two, but they're not always Steam games either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #82
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

I am thinking about building a gaming rig an would love some suggestions of the components I should buy. I work as a windows systems admin and am familiar with the insides of a server/ pc. I am not familiar on what parts (CPU/graphic cards/ memory/hdds) are the best for a gaming rig and would love som advice. My budget is around $1000.

Thanks in advance.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #83
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

I see Hydrophobia Prophecy is on sale for $1.24. Can't see how it would be a bad investment at that price but have any of you guys played it? Is it any good?

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #84
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I have it but didn't play it much. It was only $10 for the pre-order and I kinda liked the 360 demo since they supposedly fixed the problems with that I went for it but then they just kept updating it even more so I decided to wait. Think they're done. If you like the custom graphics deal for some reason the ENB series doesn't work the FXAA thing does. From what I did play it's decent.

They recently re-reviewed it here: http://reviewsontherun.com/all/spotl...-video-review/
Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #85
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Said eff-it and moved a PC to the living room TV (47" wall mounted Samsung) this evening. Need to get a wireless mouse, and may swap PCs. Wife's computer is just a step below mine, i5 750 vs my i7 920, but her video card (dont remember off the top of my head what we put in hers) doesn't have HDMI out which my 5870 has.

Loosely related, a shadow on our Samsung screen probably indicating it might be time to shop for a replacement soon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #86
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
I am thinking about building a gaming rig an would love some suggestions of the components I should buy. I work as a windows systems admin and am familiar with the insides of a server/ pc. I am not familiar on what parts (CPU/graphic cards/ memory/hdds) are the best for a gaming rig and would love som advice. My budget is around $1000.

Thanks in advance.
For $1000 you can build a nice NICE gaming rig.

Overview of parts needed
  • Case
  • Motherboard
  • Processor
  • Ram
  • Video Card
  • Power Supply
  • Hard Drive
  • DVD/Blue Ray Player
  • Sound Card
  • Keyboard/Mouse
  • Monitor/TV
  • Speakers
Optional but not need
  • Floppy Drive - Rarely needed now
  • Proc aftermarket cooler
  • Solid State Hard Drive
  • CD RW/ DVD RW

Generally speaking, don't go less than quad core, at very least 8 gigs of ram, 750+ powersupply, and a nice size Hard drive. Speaking on hard drives, with that build I would look into a smallish size solid state drive to install operating system and important programs to quickly speed load and boot times. Then get a HUGE regular plate hard drive for all your games and software.

When it comes to your video card I would go two ways. Either go with a GeForce GTX 580 series OR SLI two GeForce GTX 560 cards.

Talking about Mobos, do some research and look for a board that gets good reviews on stability and offers enough features for what you are looking to do with the system.

Lastly, I would look into a decent sound card also.

Couple questions

1) Are you doing full build with a new case? Are do you have a preexisting case? Reason I ask is cases are important for air flow and worth looking into which ones offer good flow.

2) Are you purchasing monitor, do you currently have one, or you hooking up to TV? Reason I ask this will keep down cost greatly.

Last edited by Phobia; 04-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #87
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
For $1000 you can build a nice NICE gaming rig.

Overview of parts needed
  • Case
  • Motherboard
  • Processor
  • Ram
  • Video Card
  • Power Supply
  • Hard Drive
  • DVD/Blue Ray Player
  • Sound Card
  • Keyboard/Mouse
  • Monitor/TV
  • Speakers
Optional but not need
  • Floppy Drive - Rarely needed now
  • Proc aftermarket cooler
  • Solid State Hard Drive
  • CD RW/ DVD RW

Generally speaking, don't go less than quad core, at very least 8 gigs of ram, 750+ powersupply, and a nice size Hard drive. Speaking on hard drives, with that build I would look into a smallish size solid state drive to install operating system and important programs to quickly speed load and boot times. Then get a HUGE regular plate hard drive for all your games and software.

When it comes to your video card I would go two ways. Either go with a GeForce GTX 580 series OR SLI two GeForce GTX 560 cards.

Talking about Mobos, do some research and look for a board that gets good reviews on stability and offers enough features for what you are looking to do with the system.

Lastly, I would look into a decent sound card also.

Couple questions

1) Are you doing full build with a new case? Are do you have a preexisting case? Reason I ask is cases are important for air flow and worth looking into which ones offer good flow.

2) Are you purchasing monitor, do you currently have one, or you hooking up to TV? Reason I ask this will keep down cost greatly.

Thanks for the advice. I will be building with a new case and will not be purchasing a monitor. I plan to hook it up directly to my TV via HDMI.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #88
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Thanks for the advice. I will be building with a new case and will not be purchasing a monitor. I plan to hook it up directly to my TV via HDMI.
An i5 2500k is a nice processor that won't break the bank and is easy to over clock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »