Home

OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

This is a discussion on OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #25
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: OS Steam and Computer Gaming Thread

I hit up Microcenter today, they had a deal where if you buy any i5 2500K CPU and above (paid $179), you can add a Z68 mobo from a list for $54. I picked up the ASRock Z68 Pro3-M Socket 1155 Z68 mATX. Granted it's not a full ATX mobo, don't plan to SLI and this thing goes up to 32gb RAM. I added Kingston 8gb DDR3 1333 RAM and also bought a Seagate 500gb HDD.

What sucks was having to reinstall Windows and all my applications, games, etc. Still trying to reinstall everything, the worst part of new builds.

Should I of gone with PC-1600?

Steam had Bulletstorm for $5 yesterday.

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 04-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

The good thing about my build was that I used an SSD as my main drive and used my 1TB HDD from my old PC which had all my existing games and music on it, so all I had to do was install Windows 7. Definitely made the hassle a lot easier.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #27
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie

Should I of gone with PC-1600?

Steam had Bulletstorm for $5 yesterday.
Unless you an overclocker, it don't make a difference. Just remember from here on out, you have to buy the same speed of RAM you already have in your PC. But more then likely you won't be adding any more RAM since 8gb is plenty, unless you planning on doing a lot of animations or super heavy rendering projects, then yeah you would want to add more RAM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
The good thing about my build was that I used an SSD as my main drive and used my 1TB HDD from my old PC which had all my existing games and music on it, so all I had to do was install Windows 7. Definitely made the hassle a lot easier.
How you like the SSD Sand?

I plan on doing a similar setup on my next build, install OS on primary HD then install all programs and games on external HD for ease of "zeroing" out. I tend to reinstall windows about once every two years. A system runs soooo much better on a fresh install.

On topic: I played a bunch of Mafia 2 on PC this weekend, lil Left 4 Dead 2, and almost got into some ARMA 2. MAN!!!!!! It is good to be back fully on PC. Graphics can't be touched on a PC!

Left 4 Dead 2

ARMA 2

Lets just say consoles are missing out

Last edited by Phobia; 04-02-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

WTF, you said you keep your wireless keyboard and mouse in the pocket of your recliner. Can you tell me what kinda of wireless keyboard and mouse you use?

Reason I am asking is I am in the process of looking. I am getting my PC "living room" rig ready and I have read some things on wireless technology that has me concerned slightly. They said the older tech resulted in a obvious delay when operation a mouse for the signal to be sent and returned which made gaming with these more difficult.

Now I have read the improvements in the wireless technology is making this no longer a issue. But I am still trying to find a reasonable price pair (keyboard & mouse) that does not break the bank and still operates great.

I have read about the wireless "Mamba" that it has no delay and is just like a wired mouse. But this thing is over a 100 bucks
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
How you like the SSD Sand?
I think its great. I just have the OS and most of the main programs I use daily on it like Chrome, ITunes, and Steam. Boot takes about 8 seconds, and that's from as soon a I turn the PC on, post and all. I see the biggest improvement with Itunes though, as it always felt clunky on my PC before, but on the SSD it opens instantly, rather than not opening for 7-10 seconds.

Thinking back I wish I spent some more and got a bigger SSD (maybe 80 GB). The one I have now is 50 and its just enough for the OS, my core apps, and maybe 1 game depending on its size. So I occasionally have to do some tinkering with install files if I want to play one game off an SSD. I haven't tried it yet but I've read load times with Skyrim installed on an SSD are pretty much nonexistant.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #31
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
I think its great. I just have the OS and most of the main programs I use daily on it like Chrome, ITunes, and Steam. Boot takes about 8 seconds, and that's from as soon a I turn the PC on, post and all. I see the biggest improvement with Itunes though, as it always felt clunky on my PC before, but on the SSD it opens instantly, rather than not opening for 7-10 seconds.

Thinking back I wish I spent some more and got a bigger SSD (maybe 80 GB). The one I have now is 50 and its just enough for the OS, my core apps, and maybe 1 game depending on its size. So I occasionally have to do some tinkering with install files if I want to play one game off an SSD. I haven't tried it yet but I've read load times with Skyrim installed on an SSD are pretty much nonexistant.
Yeah I'm in the same boat...I had the 80gb in the basket but I opted for the 60 instead....

I have 2 hard drives in my system one 700 and 1TB...one for programs like photoshop and the other dedicated to steam and origin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #32
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
WTF, you said you keep your wireless keyboard and mouse in the pocket of your recliner. Can you tell me what kinda of wireless keyboard and mouse you use?

Reason I am asking is I am in the process of looking. I am getting my PC "living room" rig ready and I have read some things on wireless technology that has me concerned slightly. They said the older tech resulted in a obvious delay when operation a mouse for the signal to be sent and returned which made gaming with these more difficult.

Now I have read the improvements in the wireless technology is making this no longer a issue. But I am still trying to find a reasonable price pair (keyboard & mouse) that does not break the bank and still operates great.

I have read about the wireless "Mamba" that it has no delay and is just like a wired mouse. But this thing is over a 100 bucks
Those screens are amazing Phobia. Loving the Arma shots, and, well, all of them are slick.

As for the wireless keyboard and mouse, I have a Logitech MK320 set, it was cheap, and works perfectly. I've not had one bit of interference, and its smooth as silk when using it. You really don't need a "top o the line" mouse/keyboard anymore. Most reputable mfg's should be able to provide you an excellent setup for cheap now.

Granted, I don't use mine to game, as I use the 360 pad for

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »