Home

Player you hate using but is tied to a mission

This is a discussion on Player you hate using but is tied to a mission within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Player you hate using but is tied to a mission

My most hated is definitely rookie Dave Stieb.
I mean, it's a simple enough task, 1 quality start. However, I just cannot get him to do it. All other rookie pitchers I can handle, some better some less good. Porcello was rated 70 yet I had little trouble collecting 40 Ks, about 10 at a time.
This guy, though...
I don't know what it is with him. But it's getting a bit psychological as well. When I see him chosen, I know what I must do, but I also know that he will dig a hole by allowing hits and homers from the get go. I even start warming up relievers immediately.
And when I do sometimes manage to keep a clean sheet, it is always tbe game in which my hitters struggle at the plate, competing which will win, popups or groundouts. Ending up in having to relieve him and get a win with someone else, who then wins 10-0 because my batters suddenly get rejuvenated once Stieb is pulled.

Also, what exactly constitues a quality start? In conquest and in 9 inning games?
I have 10 so far, but don't really know the criteria.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2017, 02:28 AM   #26
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelch
My most hated is definitely rookie Dave Stieb.
I mean, it's a simple enough task, 1 quality start. However, I just cannot get him to do it. All other rookie pitchers I can handle, some better some less good. Porcello was rated 70 yet I had little trouble collecting 40 Ks, about 10 at a time.
This guy, though...
I don't know what it is with him. But it's getting a bit psychological as well. When I see him chosen, I know what I must do, but I also know that he will dig a hole by allowing hits and homers from the get go. I even start warming up relievers immediately.
And when I do sometimes manage to keep a clean sheet, it is always tbe game in which my hitters struggle at the plate, competing which will win, popups or groundouts. Ending up in having to relieve him and get a win with someone else, who then wins 10-0 because my batters suddenly get rejuvenated once Stieb is pulled.

Also, what exactly constitues a quality start? In conquest and in 9 inning games?
I have 10 so far, but don't really know the criteria.
3 ER or less and go 6 at least innings. You can't get quality starts in Conquest games as they're 3 innings.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
3 ER or less and go 6 at least innings. You can't get quality starts in Conquest games as they're 3 innings.
Aha! Thanks a lot.
Guess I was getting upset for nothing. I'll njst remove him from the rotation.
Once I return to vs games, should be better, since I still need a lot of wins with rookie and breakout pitchers.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

Rookie Griffey Jr is my white whale right now. Trying to complete his Debut Game performance, and can't get both the Double and the Walk in the same game, can get one or the other, so I'll get the walk on his First AB - then get the run, but then nether find the gaps in the outfield to turn a single into a Double. Or I'll get the Double, then everytime I'm trying to generate a walk, I'll leave a strike just clipping the edge, or ground/pop out to the infield trying to foul it off.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

so you have to have these cards for the missions to show up? are they all for ranked seasons only? i have 3 and they all are ranked season only
Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #30
Rookie

ZoltanZ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjburrage
Rookie Griffey Jr is my white whale right now. Trying to complete his Debut Game performance, and can't get both the Double and the Walk in the same game, can get one or the other, so I'll get the walk on his First AB - then get the run, but then nether find the gaps in the outfield to turn a single into a Double. Or I'll get the Double, then everytime I'm trying to generate a walk, I'll leave a strike just clipping the edge, or ground/pop out to the infield trying to foul it off.
I can't get the Debut challenge either. I will either get a walk and a run or a double and a run. I have have him lead off and I have started so many games with a double and then he scores. Then the next 3-4 ABs they will just groove the ball one after another to him. I can't get a walk to save my life if I start the game off with a double.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #31
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

This isn't quite what you're saying, but I'm doing the 40IP with Breakout Phil Hughes. Or I would be if RNG would go in my favor. I got him all three times I needed to beat the Twins on Veteran to get this challenge, and I haven't gotten him since.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Thank you one more time.
I started my first vs. CPU game since, and it was Stieb.
My batters were in shape, took 7-0 lead quickly.
But, my man Stieb almost left his bones out there, pitched the entire 6th with 0 energy. It was a mess, he ended giving up one run on 4 hits and 4 BBs. But it is done.

Now onto unlocking new players...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »