Home

The Catch-up logic in this game is as bad as it has ever been.

This is a discussion on The Catch-up logic in this game is as bad as it has ever been. within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2016, 01:18 AM   #17
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The Catch-up logic in this game is as bad as it has ever been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
Im playing on all star level, cpu diff adjustment at 0. here are some game results that ive played on play now (exhibition mode)

Devils (me) at Rangers: 3-4
Flyers (me) vs Sabres : 6-1
Flyers ( me) at Detroit: 0-2
Flyers ( me) at maple leafs: 4-2
Penguins ( me) at isles: 7-2
La ( me) vs SJ : 1-3
La ( me) at SJ : 3-2 OT

The issue of comeback ai is literally the FIRST thing i test and i test this extensively.

Problem in some games is that there is rubberband....once you get a 2 goal lead, the cpu will not only play differently but their shots have a higher chance to go in.

So what ive tested is to see if this specific issue comes up when younare leading. Did not see it at all. Agains buffalo with the flyers i jumped out to 4-0 lead after 1st period, and pretty much coasted the whole way through. Mason stopped 22 of 23 shots and stopped 15/16 after it was 4-0.

Same thing happened when i won 7-2 with penguins.

The game against the leafs i held a 3-2 lead after 2, and in the 3rd they came in waves, but i got a PP late 3rd and scored.

Game against Sj with LA , i held 2-0 lead until 10 mins left and they scored 2 goals, but then i won in OT.

With these games on exhibition, its pretty safe to say that there isnt comeback ai/ rubberband logic.

Now i will test using SEASON mode and see if it holds up, because in my previous years of testing, ea nhl, pro evolution soccer, fifa series play differently in play now exhibition and franchise in terms of comeback ai. Its particularly bad in the soccer games but ive seen it too in nhl when after u have a 2 goal lead, henrik lundqvist suddenly turns into a drunk ilya bryzgalov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why you heff to be mad?

Old 12-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
THIS.

Ever since I have adjusted my HUM strategy slider to match the CPU's (2 or 3, cant remember) the games have been more even.

If you have HUM strat set to 0 and you do not adjust to the CPU's when they are behind you will feel the pressure.
I do agree with this. I also feel that the HUM strategy "coach" is not very smart, and this also helps create that "catch-up" logic. I play with HUM strategy at 6 because I would like to just enjoy playing the game.

But what I've seen doesn't make sense in the strat adjustments the "coach" makes for you. When my team is up by 1 goal, the HUM strat "coach" goes into protect mode. Defend the net, not aggressive anymore and basically just keep dumping the puck and playing defense.

Even if you score first within the first few minutes of the game, the AI "coach" goes into this protect the net mode. Problem with this, is it gives the opposing team more chances to score on you because your team is not aggressive anymore.

I've never seen a professional team go into this protect mode when only ahead by 1 goal, especially with 2 1/2 periods left to play. They still play aggressive. The logic in this game needs a major overhaul. I do think the logic selection plays a lot into what people think is "catch up".
Old 12-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 20

My Nords are 24-6-3 right now, 6-point lead in my division.

3.02 GFA & 2.32 GAA.

10-minute periods, All-Star.

Can't say I agree.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
Im playing on all star level, cpu diff adjustment at 0. here are some game results that ive played on play now (exhibition mode)

Devils (me) at Rangers: 3-4
Flyers (me) vs Sabres : 6-1
Flyers ( me) at Detroit: 0-2
Flyers ( me) at maple leafs: 4-2
Penguins ( me) at isles: 7-2
La ( me) vs SJ : 1-3
La ( me) at SJ : 3-2 OT

The issue of comeback ai is literally the FIRST thing i test and i test this extensively.

Problem in some games is that there is rubberband....once you get a 2 goal lead, the cpu will not only play differently but their shots have a higher chance to go in.

So what ive tested is to see if this specific issue comes up when younare leading. Did not see it at all. Agains buffalo with the flyers i jumped out to 4-0 lead after 1st period, and pretty much coasted the whole way through. Mason stopped 22 of 23 shots and stopped 15/16 after it was 4-0.

Same thing happened when i won 7-2 with penguins.

The game against the leafs i held a 3-2 lead after 2, and in the 3rd they came in waves, but i got a PP late 3rd and scored.

Game against Sj with LA , i held 2-0 lead until 10 mins left and they scored 2 goals, but then i won in OT.

With these games on exhibition, its pretty safe to say that there isnt comeback ai/ rubberband logic.

Now i will test using SEASON mode and see if it holds up, because in my previous years of testing, ea nhl, pro evolution soccer, fifa series play differently in play now exhibition and franchise in terms of comeback ai. Its particularly bad in the soccer games but ive seen it too in nhl when after u have a 2 goal lead, henrik lundqvist suddenly turns into a drunk ilya bryzgalov

Great stuff Philly.
I'll be interested in your Season Mode testing.
I've always felt this game played really well in exhibition. The rubber band affect doesn't appear to be present and the CPU doesn't receive as many cheats either.
Season mode has always been a different story, however.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #21
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

The Catch-up logic in this game is as bad as it has ever been.

Just played another game rangers at flyers ( me):

Went up 3-0 after midpoint of 2nd period. And held on for the shutout after a big push from the rangers. Outshot 31-21 and 12-4 in the 3rd. Mason made his best saves in the final period when new york was really pushing. The result of the game is once again showing there is no comeback ai in play now/ exhibition.

Will start a season soon and see how it is, hopefully its the same because if there is comeback ai, it's just not worth playing and i will stick to play now.

Last edited by phillyfan23; 12-29-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 12

There is NO catch-up logic, Ice tilt, comeback code, whatever you call it. It doesn't exist.

The CPU teams change their strategies when trailing late in the game. They get more aggressive, shoot the puck more.

What I would bet is happening is the user isn't adjusting to what the CPU is doing.

Think about it, they are making an adjustment to counteract what you are doing. You have to adjust back, or you will get burned....
Old 12-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #23
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm not seeing any ice tilt or comeback logic at all. I have had teams rally from 2 goals down to beat me and I have had teams roll over and die when I'm up 3 or 4 goals. I have had teams flat out play better than me and I have had games where I'm unbeatable. It's only natural and a good thing that a team should make a late push trailing by 1 or 2 goals. I only wish the CPU would use its time out and get its top line out there rather than the 4th line, which is all too common. I also wish the CPU had better logic for pulling goalie I feel it's always a little to late.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #24
MVP

As I said, I do think it's the strategies affecting this feeling of "ice-tilt". I played a game using NBC's sliders and I'm a position lock player. Probably the first game in a long time I shut out the opponent. I also out shot them by a lot.

But I did notice, when you let the CPU adjust your strategies, there are some odd selections. You go up one goal and the CPU coach goes into this sit back / defense / protect the net mode.

Also, I don't think the CPU adjusts your individual lines. So if your guys are at about 20% efficiency over energy/hustle, they will also play back and the CPU opponent will shoot more.

I think if EA, in the next version, focuses on coach strategies (all aspects of it), I think the game will play more balanced. But, I also think there isn't enough "human element" in the CPU opponent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »