Home

The OS Golfer's Thread!

This is a discussion on The OS Golfer's Thread! within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: The OS Golfer's Thread!

played in HS...went to college, became broke, basically didn't play for four years. Interned at GC last summer, started playing pretty frequently again. Range between a 7-10 handicap depending on how often I'm playing. If I can keep the ball in play off the tee I'm probably scoring really well. Finally learned how to put in the last year or so....short game is sooo key. In HS I could hit the prettiest long irons but score like crap half the time. Now I've learned how to play more like a veteran even though I don't get out much
Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Retar Crew

Antec's Arena

OVR: 12

I've been golfing since I was pretty young. I never really played as much as I should because I usually suck when I do go out. I'm 19 and only play in a the same 3-4 tournaments (scramble format) each year and maybe 1-2 rounds extra.

I was at the point where I would strike the ball pure and hit a good shot every 5-6 holes with my irons and could drive the ball more consistently until recently. About a week ago something clicked and I started hitting nearly every ball solidly with some hooks thrown in. I also sometimes block it to the right sometimes (not a slice but i just push it to the right and it goes about 20-30 yards off target). But I rarely ever duff the ball 30 feet in front of me anymore.

I've been playing at least 9 holes with my Dad (he floats between a 3 and a 8 handicap usually) every night this week and I've made like 7-8 pars, 1 birdie, and some bogeys. I tried playing without him today and it wasn't too pretty. He recognizes what I'm doing wrong and gets me hitting it well.

The game gets so much more fun when you're actually hitting decent shots most of the time.

As for what clubs I use - I use either Ping G10 irons and a G10 driver. They used to be my Dad's before he got the G15's. Basically whenever he upgrades, I get his old ones.

I probably won't play tomorrow as the club is going to be jammed and I prefer going out when there's nobody out there and not having to wait. I'll probably play 18 on Saturday and playing in one of the annual tournaments I play in on Sunday.

Last edited by Antec; 07-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
Cult of Personality

OVR: 30

I've been golfing for about five years now(started when I was 19). As long as there's no snow on the ground, I try to get out at least twice a week, although it's hard with my work schedule.

I'm not great by any means. I think my personal best was an 87 on a par 70. Typically I shoot in that 90-95 range depending on the course.

I have a crazy slice with my driver. I've learned to just play with it as long as there's no trees in the way. I can hit it about 250 with the slice...makes me really wish I could straighten it out as I think I could get 270+ without that lost distance.

My irons are just all over the place this year. I don't know what it is but it's always something different. Hook, slice, straight pull/push, then I'll hit the green with a perfect shot. I'm thinking about hitting up the driving range this weekend yet to try to iron things out(no pun intended)

My chipping has been excellent though. It's really saved me from some debacles.

I just use cheap Pinemeadow clubs. They make "clubs comparable to..." the popular high-end clubs. While I'm sure they're not quite as good as the real thing, they are high quality and cheaper than about any other set. I've had no complaints and have golfed with others who use these clubs with no complaints.
Vets II | Washington Redskins(13-6) | Last Game: L 37-34 OT @ ATL (NFC Conference Championship)

Vets Bowl I Champion | Vets Bowl II Runner-Up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 26

Best thread ever.

I golf, or hit balls, 3-5 times/wk. Just got home from the driving range actually. I'm not a great golfer, but I love it. My boys all played college golf so they're all ringers, I'm definitely the worst of the bunch. I did manage to shoot a 39 in last Wednesday's league match. I'm playing 9 holes in Appleton tomorrow afternoon, and playing 27 holes in Green Bay on Saturday. Sunday will probably be similar to Saturday, haven't made any plans yet.

Hit em straight gentlemen.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
Rookie

CoupleOfFew1's Arena

OVR: 7

countryboy, Try the G15 driver. That thing is a beast. I have the 07 Burner but Im saving up for the PING.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #14
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

I have the ping G2. My irons are callaway x-16s.

I have had some major major major yips. I went from shooting 80s and 90s to not being able to get the ball off the tee box. If I kept score it would easily be 140. Not sure what the hell is wrong. I played all through HS and then for about 2 years didn't play. Played spring break and every week for a couple weeks after. A few weeks after that, I just lost "it".
Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupleOfFew1
countryboy, Try the G15 driver. That thing is a beast. I have the 07 Burner but Im saving up for the PING.
thats what a few local pro shops have recommended. Going to the local golf shop this afternoon after work to hit it in their driving range to see how I like it.

Gotta be better than the Burner.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #16
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I'm 28 and have been golfing since I was 5. My parents put a club in my hand and I guess I had a natural swing. When I was in middle/high school I'd ride my bike to the golf course and golf every day during the summer.

Now I try to get out once a week and play in a league that is for people who work in the government buildings downtown (I work for the County).

I struggle with the inevitable blow-up hole. Usually it's an ugly double or two that pops up. The last round I played was on Sunday night. I took a 10 on the first hole after putting two tee shots in the drink. I then proceeded to shoot a 44 that included 3 birdies . My best 18-hole round ever is a 73 (par 71) and my best 9-hole effort is a 34 (par 36). My handicap is about 10-12. I could be a lot better, but I don't practice enough and would rather just play because I enjoy it. No matter how bad I'm golfing, there's fewer things more relaxing than being out on the course with a couple friends.

Good idea for a thread.

EDIT: Duluth is awesome for decent, affordable golf. There's two city-owned courses that are in good shape, both with 27 holes. Then across the bridge in Superior, WI there's a 36-hole municipal course. Then if you feel like taking a drive, there's tons of awesome courses that are top-notch within a 1-3 hour drive. I see a couple of you are from Wisconsin, and I'd say if you're looking for a good golf trip that doesn't cost too much and isn't too much of a haul, you can't go wrong with Northern Minnesota.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 07-02-2010 at 07:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »