Home

The OS Golfer's Thread!

This is a discussion on The OS Golfer's Thread! within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #401
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: The OS Golfer's Thread!

We were playing in a cramble a couple years ago and were 5 shots back after the first day so we were pretty much out of the money. Anyway, the second day came and we are 2 under after 8 holes and we are all below 10 handicaps and just having a brutal go; so we go to the 9th hole and my brother ripped a drive to about 75 yards from the green. I take my 60 out of my bag and said something like "I will go first because this is the worst shot in my game." Well wouldn't you know it, I step up, hit it staright at the pin, it takes one bounce and plops in the cup! I had never jarred on before outside 20 yards so it was pretty invigorating. Anyway, after that we birdied the remaining 9 holes to go 13 under and came in second place!! I couldn't believe how much momentum we got from that shot and found it amazing how much confidence changes a game.

Moral of the story, don't dwell on the negatives, but roll with the positives!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #402
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Does anyone have tips for keeping your hands dry in that situation? I don't have this problem when it's that hot and the air is dry, but last night I could not for the life of me keep the club from slipping due to sweaty hands. It was very distracting, and I couldn't get proper release for fear of launching my club on every full swing. I tried EVERYTHING. Patting on a dry towel before every shot, wiping them on my shorts, wiping them on the dry grass (a good trick usually), etc. It was brutal! Next time in those conditions, I'm definitely renting a cart.
I've been having a similar problem lately, even riding in a cart. A dry towel usually helps, but I can still tell there is a little moisture and Lord knows I don't need something else to think about during my golf swing. Wearing two gloves seems to be the best answer. I wear two during the winter, so it's not that big of a deal to wear two on the rare days that it's so hot and humid that I can't hold the club.

Also, I've taken my GHIN from around 11, down to 8 this summer. I'm pretty pumped about that.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #403
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I guess maybe it's time to buy a right hand glove to have on hand (no pun intended) for those humid days.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #404
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

Went out and played my first ever round of golf yesterday. It's something I've always wanted to do, but never went out and tried it. I really had a good time too. We went out and took everything slow and tried to have a good relaxing time with it.

I took one shot from about 70 to 80 yards that hit the flagstick, and I had a putt that stopped right on the lip of the hole, millimeters from the hole. I don't know how often that stuff happens, but I was really surprised to see both on my first round ever.

I could see myself playing on a regular basis, but obviously have a ton to learn. Looking forward to talking some gofl with you guys on here too!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #405
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Welcome to the game! It's a lot of fun if you don't take it too seriously and enjoy the good shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
I took one shot from about 70 to 80 yards that hit the flagstick
That's awesome but, don't expect this too often. When I was 14 and first learning to play, I holed out a bunker shot from about 60 yards.. haven't holed a pitch, chip, or fairway shot since (10 years and probably 100 rounds later).

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #406
Rookie

OVR: 10

Im fairly new to golf, started at 18 and 4 years later I dont get much time to golf living in the Canadian prairies. Summer is short and working full time doesnt help either. Come september its back to school so not much time again.

To pour Listerine in my wounds I misplaced my pitching wedge, and have to go buy a new one. On top of that my drives notoriously hook any time I attempt to hit a max drive. The plan is to hit the range one day soon and work on everything.

However, once my drive went perfectly down the fairway and managed to STICK into the ground, waist deep. It was hilarious, we pulled it out and kept playing.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #407
Banned

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Went out and played my first ever round of golf yesterday. It's something I've always wanted to do, but never went out and tried it. I really had a good time too. We went out and took everything slow and tried to have a good relaxing time with it.

I took one shot from about 70 to 80 yards that hit the flagstick, and I had a putt that stopped right on the lip of the hole, millimeters from the hole. I don't know how often that stuff happens, but I was really surprised to see both on my first round ever.

I could see myself playing on a regular basis, but obviously have a ton to learn. Looking forward to talking some gofl with you guys on here too!
Yeah that stuff is pretty rare. Which makes it all the most amazing when it happens.

I've been a scratch golfer since I was 15 and have never had a hole in one. Been pretty close a few times, meaning within inches, but still have never had one.

Also have never holed out a shot from over 100 yards from the fairway, again been very close many times but it just has never happened. Some people have the luck, and some don't.

I've chipped in though plenty of times from numerous spots around the green and have holed some pretty lengthy putts. (60ft+)

Pretty exciting that it happened on your first round. Gives you a pretty good reason to want to play again!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #408
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

So I went to the range today and figured out my swing with my irons... but of course, I couldn't hit my driver straight. I'm playing on Thursday, so hopefully my swing will just figure itself out

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »