Home

Can We Talk About The Running Game?

This is a discussion on Can We Talk About The Running Game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Can We Talk About The Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
3 ypc isn't fantatic, but it's not terrible. If you could run twice and be left with 3rd and 3-4 every time, most teams would take that.
The worst team rushing the ball in the NFL last year (Arizona Cardinals) averaged 3.3 YPC while Seattle boasted the the best yards per carry at 5.3. I would say anyone who is running a SIM CFM should aim for these numbers. I think the running game is improved from last year's Madden as it was way too easy to rack up yards on the ground last season.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #34
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Playing on default all pro, it seems as if myself nor the computer can get any sort of running game going. 2-3 yards a carry from both sides. It's like EA just completely nerfed the run game.

I find myself passing way more often than I want too, because running the ball is such an unnecessary chore. It's like your o-line stops blocking when you call a run play. You get a few yards or tackled in the backfield almost every play.

And this isn't be complaining that the game is too hard, I love the challenge in all pro this year, but am I the only one seeing this issue with the running game? Anyone finding success running? Or have the cpu be successful against them running the ball?
I'm not sure about CPU running ability yet, but I can assure you that I haven't had any trouble running the ball. I like to use Seattle due to my preference for power-run teams and I'm averaging 6 - 7 yards per carry. Beast - Mode is a big part of that, but I think the game mechanics reward certain elements. All-Pro Default with Normal Speed.

If you are running zone blocking, are you counting the box and running to the match-up? Are you reading the key players movement? Are you hitting the designated hole in Gap-Blocking and Man Blocking concepts? Are you using the contextual controls correctly? Are you playing to your player's strength?

I'm not saying that you aren't putting any thought into your playcalling because I'm not there to see, but I would be disappointed if someone could just call any run at any time and be successful. I want it to be rewarding when a run breaks for 7 yards or more.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #35
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Thanks a ton to all the guys offering gameplay tips. I've been playing more and more and I'm definitely having to change the way I run as opposed to years past.

Ratings and the team you're using and playing against really makes a difference this year, along with reading the D and hitting your holes.

Really appreciate the help, fellas. I'll keep practicing and practicing. Don't remember the last time I really had to think to be successful in Madden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #36
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Isn't that exactly what we want!?!? lol

That is my dream come true.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #37
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Isn't that exactly what we want!?!? lol

That is my dream come true.

Lol yes! It's definitely a nice change of pace. All the suggestions here have really helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #38
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I had no problem with the Jets running on the Patriots and in Buffalo against their stout defense (I posted vids of two long TD runs by Ivory in the media thread). The CPU running game has been another story, under 3 YPC in each exhibition game I've played.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 08-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #39
Rookie

TheDominator273's Arena

I haven't had too much issue running, the key is not using speed burst until you make the cut needed to hit the hole on inside runs or your blockers set up for outside runs.

Knowing your personnel is also very important. Know who your better run blockers are and where the opponents weaker defenders are located. Counting numbers and avoiding running against loaded boxes or to the side where you don't have numbers are also a big part of the run game.

And if you are still unsuccessful, don't be afraid to use short passes as an extension of your run game until you get the defense on their heels and you can run with more success.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #40
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
After playing 4 games, I'm seeing results all over the place.

Peterson had 93 yards on me in 3 quarters, Lacy has run the ball well and Lacy couldn't run a lick vs the Titans.

Default all-pro.
Same here. Varied results, which is the way it should be.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »