Home

How in-depth do you think Madden will take its archetype system?

This is a discussion on How in-depth do you think Madden will take its archetype system? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #33
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How in-depth do you think Madden will take its archetype system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBarber
To be honest that’s how it should be. I don’t fully agree with how archetypes are being implemented based on the info given but if teams actually build based on scheme fits moreso than “oh this guys overall rating is better than my starter let’s get him” then it’s a great upgrade. Yes BPA should be a factor but if CPU teams (and hopefully user teams in online CFMs) pass on players that don’t fit scheme i’ll be very surprised and happy.
It would certainly be an improvement over the Eagles drafting a QB in my CFM to replace Wentz after only two years

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Old 05-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #34
10/22/21

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitychamps87
I'm wondering how well the AI will build rosters around their scheme. Or will there be glitches? Like avoiding the #1 QB in the draft because he "doesn't fit your scheme"?

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app
They'll be flaws for sure. Even in the games that people feel have great Franchise modes there are many issue concerning CPU roster construction. If people like the gameplay and the depth of the Franchise mode, they're more that willing to let that stuff slide in a game.

Let's take this last draft. Theoretically, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, or Allen could have been considered the #1 QB depending on a team's scheme/philosophy. For me the CPU maintaining an identity over many years is a good trade off for them sometimes not taking a certain player that on paper is the BPA.

As far as the progression system goes, I don't think that EA is ever going to go back to any system that greatly reduces User Agency(actually playing games) in terms of developing one's players. Coaching staffs may make into the game as the selection and or limiting mechanism for schemes/archetypes, but they aren't going to be used as the under the hood dice roll determining factor of player development, IMO.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

Last edited by jfsolo; 05-29-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #35
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
While I can't say what shape it will take or just how in-depth it will be, there is going to be one huge hurdle for the archetype system to work....

So, for fun....let's say we have a "power RB" archetype. Let's say (again, for fun) that it makes it much harder for a guy with this archetype to grow other skill sets not directly related to his archetype. So, in theory, a power back with power skills....should play on the field like a power back. This sounds great if you apply this across all positions and then factor-in the coach schemes and so on. Even greater if player overall ratings are calculated differently based on the skills involved with their archetype.

My concern....the rosters. If player ratings for the stock rosters are not created with the archetype system in mind...you're going to have two choices. 1. Sim about 12-14 years in a franchise to purge out all the stock players or 2. Do massive player rating overhauls. A traditional EA rated roster is going to not work well because the players' secondary skills are over-developed...they give that power back high spin ratings and agility so his overall rating fits into a certain tier. As a result, you see RBs like Lagarette Blount spamming spin moves and dodging tackles instead of running people over. If rosters are still created like previous years, even the most well-conceived archetype system is not going to translate well on the field and people are going to cry that the guys all play the same....
I have a similar issue. When they added player types and schemes the first time it was weird. I remember playing cfm against the panther who had their scheme set for a power rb. Clearly Johnathon Stewart was a beast but when Deangelo Williams checked in he was garbage and ranked a low 70s overall bc he wasnt a power back.

How is EA planning to use these scheme/archetypes in “smash and dash” situations? How about the saints 2 headed monster with Karma and Ingram? They clearly arent the same archetype so will one simply be more effective than the other bc of scheme?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #36
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Not very.

Not being cynical, but they’ll probably need a few years to add real depth to these archetypes. I expect by Madden 21, they’ll be perfected, or at least useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Not very.

Not being cynical, but they’ll probably need a few years to add real depth to these archetypes. I expect by Madden 21, they’ll be perfected, or at least useful.

And by then the feature will be phased out for something else anyways.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
As far as the progression system goes, I don't think that EA is ever going to go back to any system that greatly reduces User Agency(actually playing games) in terms of developing one's players.
That's too bad. Then we'll always be stuck with an unrealistic, arcadey, fisher price franchise mode.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 3

Doesn't the fact that after years between big franchise mode changes, we get this type of relatively small change instead of a true overhaul, worry anyone else? They wouldn't waste this time this year if they had plans to totally rebuild the franchise mode from the ground up anytime soon, which is what they need to do, would they? We're gonna be stuck with this legacy CFM garbage forever I bet, the way they're still building on top of flawed code from a decade ago everywhere else in the game instead of starting anything over. We'll get new menus and a fresh coat of paint next year along with other, similarly small potatoes changes, I'm sure.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 AM   #40
Banned

I'm pretty sure its chemistry from mut implemented into franchise

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »