Home

Manager Mode 2011

This is a discussion on Manager Mode 2011 within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Rookie

scoobyskyline3's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Manager Mode 2011

Do you sim or do you just watch the game
Old 03-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Shortly after buying '09 on launch day (my rookie year with The Show), I was addicted to MoM. Actually playing the game was just too frustrating for me; I was too used to MVP'05 and hadn't really played video games on a next-gen console. I actually finally bought a ps3 largely because of The Show.

I fantasy drafted a a team and began a Franchise. I would Manage only because I wanted play out my GM fantasy and I could get in 2 or 3 games a day while doing homework or work at home. With the exception of a sac bunt of pitchout or something, I could let the game play out on its own until about the 6th inning or so. Usually when pitching matchups begin to factor in.
I also, couldn't believe it was more fun watching the game than actually playing.

But, after seeing nothing new in '10 and again this year, the frustration of the little things grew on me, and I am sadly in no rush to start up again this year.
I firmly think that I will be done with this series by next year if they do not do more to improve this mode. More than the free agency mess and trade logic. Simple, little things they should easily be able to add in. Such as:
*more stat tracking and easier navigation screens to find them
*ability to control Cpu's lineups
*subtract the Cpu's in-game decision making for YOUR team, and add the ability to control baserunners. I don't mind giving a guy the green light if he's on first, but I demand the power to give him the red light. I also don't want any surprise bunting or other shenanigans if I don't call for it.
Also, I'm sick of baserunners going extra bases--1st to 3rd or 2nd to Home--getting nailed by a mile in a close game--we should be able to act as the base coach and tell them to advance or not.
I could list more but I'm already guilty of turning this into a wishlist rant.
Sorry, but that's what I think of when I see a MoM thread.

Last edited by treyraq; 03-17-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker232
I love MOM. This the mode I play because I don't have the time or patience to control every aspect of these games. Swinging and pitching is too frustrating.

What I don't like in the Show is the limited amount of stats that carry over seasons in Franchise. Baseball is all about stats and it boggles my mind as to why MLB THE SHOW ignores how important stats are. Example: I would love to know how many stolen bases a guy had the previous year, or OBP or walks, or slugging.

Is there anyone else here who cares about stats? For me that puts a little damper on the MOM/GM mode.
Wholeheartedly
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyraq
Shortly after buying '09 on launch day (my rookie year with The Show), I was addicted to MoM. Actually playing the game was just too frustrating for me; I was too used to MVP'05 and hadn't really played video games on a next-gen console. I actually finally bought a ps3 largely because of The Show.

I fantasy drafted a a team and began a Franchise. I would Manage only because I wanted play out my GM fantasy and I could get in 2 or 3 games a day while doing homework or work at home. With the exception of a sac bunt of pitchout or something, I could let the game play out on its own until about the 6th inning or so. Usually when pitching matchups begin to factor in.
I also, couldn't believe it was more fun watching the game than actually playing.

But, after seeing nothing new in '10 and again this year, the frustration of the little things grew on me, and I am sadly in no rush to start up again this year.
I firmly think that I will be done with this series by next year if they do not do more to improve this mode. More than the free agency mess and trade logic. Simple, little things they should easily be able to add in. Such as:
*more stat tracking and easier navigation screens to find them
*ability to control Cpu's lineups
*subtract the Cpu's in-game decision making for YOUR team, and add the ability to control baserunners. I don't mind giving a guy the green light if he's on first, but I demand the power to give him the red light. I also don't want any surprise bunting or other shenanigans if I don't call for it.
Also, I'm sick of baserunners going extra bases--1st to 3rd or 2nd to Home--getting nailed by a mile in a close game--we should be able to act as the base coach and tell them to advance or not.
I could list more but I'm already guilty of turning this into a wishlist rant.
Sorry, but that's what I think of when I see a MoM thread.
Okay....so what's your alternative for MoM?
I'm all ears.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Rookie

Haha...now how did I know I'd get Knight's attention?

Not sure I know exactly what your asking.
Do you mean simply what you said, or do you mean how would I 'fix' it?

Simply an alternative to MoM?
I'd probably give RTTS a little more time. Or pick up an exhibition game once in awhile. I don't think I'd get my money's worth out of either--meaning, that if these modes were my intention, I would have stuck with '10.
Honestly I'd probably try getting deep into a Franchise again in the next month or two. And I'm sure some kind of a patch for the offseason mess would save the game for me. But if not...shame on me for spending another $65 on game I don't enjoy enough to play enough.
Although, had I not read that one comment about the Franchise mode being (fixed) I would have easily waited.

If you mean an alternative to The Show, well...probably nothing. But...I don't HAVE to have a baseball game. I really like having one. And I really like having one that's enjoyable. I enjoyed the H out of '09 and the last 2 releases have not (for MoM) been much more than updated player ratings and improved graphics. I took it for granted that some of the small things that I didn't like would be improved, and they haven't been--and I'm to blame. It's still a GREAT game, such a great game that it has spoiled me, and as the freshness is fading, I can't help but get perturbed at little things now rather than appreciate a lot of the game.
When the game gets a little more annoying than enjoyable, I stop playing it. And that's what is happening (to me) since playing for the last 2 years. And don't get me wrong, I appreciate every little thing upgraded in this game. But, I'm a fantasy/simulator franchise guy, and I'll have to wait in line for my upgrades.

Now I actually have been playing (exhibition/RTTS) games since I'm reluctant to start up the franchise, and if this is all I did then I would be raving about how awesome the game is and how Sony has outdone themselves again, just like the rest of the gang. Truth is, they have done a fantastic job with '11--more so than '10 from '09 even--but I'm a pessimist, and I don't see all of the new features saving my MoM franchise experience.

And it's tough to see how many times I have already read "yea, that issue has been around for the last couple of years. Hopefully they'll fix it for next year." Now I have also read the posts from SCEA asking for imput, and I can't emphasize enough how awesome that is. But I said it before and I'll repeat, it seems like they keep fixing what already works, and not what doesn't. As I now feel this getting off topic, I'll end it.

So, all I can do is just wait until the game feels fresh to me again. It sounds like a lot of franchisers around here have been pushing SCEA for awhile to upgrade that part of the series, so maybe next year is the year.

If you were wondering how I would "fix" it...I can PM you or repost or wait for the wishlist thread...I'm locked and loaded for it.

Last edited by treyraq; 03-17-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Pro

Fictionix's Arena

OVR: 10

can yall maybe tell me how to do a manager mode game? Can I do it with just a quick exhibition game? Im willing to try it out to see a different element of the show
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionix
can yall maybe tell me how to do a manager mode game? Can I do it with just a quick exhibition game? Im willing to try it out to see a different element of the show
UNfortunately they have removed it from exhibition.You have to go into season or franchise mode to try it out.
Nhl-Sharks
College sports-Miami Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
Pro

Fictionix's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikris
UNfortunately they have removed it from exhibition.You have to go into season or franchise mode to try it out.
oh ok. thanks for the info. Maybe ill create a little season just to test it out!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »