Home

first pitch meatballs....bug?

This is a discussion on first pitch meatballs....bug? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #81
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: first pitch meatballs....bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
I didn't say it was the first pitch of every AB. i said i am only seeing this with the first pitch of the inning. Each inning, first pitch you see.
Sorry I was responding to your comment about the video. The first pitch of the top of the 4th Niese throws a first pitch meatball to Neil Walker. But then the first pitch of the top of the 5th Niese throws a curveball low way outside the zone to Pedro Alvarez.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #82
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Sorry I was responding to your comment about the video. The first pitch of the top of the 4th Niese throws a first pitch meatball to Neil Walker. But then the first pitch of the top of the 5th Niese throws a curveball low way outside the zone to Pedro Alvarez.
Which is correct. But that is a sample of 2. I do not claim its 100%. In my two games that i tracked each inning, i did have a one inning/occurance that wasn't a #1 pitch thrown down the middle. I have had 18 innings. 1 wasn't a #1 pitch and it was a ball. 17 other times it was the #1 pitch. All were strikes, 3 of those were low strikes, the rest down the middle. This is in exhibition, all-star. I mentioned prior i have faced five relievers in those games. Three started an inning. The other two did throw their #1 pitch on the first pitch. One was down the middle. The other was a strike slightly to the right. I should add i was the road team both games. I'll be the home team next time.

Last edited by dkrause1971; 03-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #83
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Some of the sliders could have an inverse relationship with the effect you're seeking. Lowering the pitcher consistency slider could make them throw MORE meatballs. Assuming that their pitcher wants to hit the corner, up the slider so they don't miss down the middle.

I would highly suggest that people consider having three different sets of sliders. One for AA, AAA, and MLB games. The skill of the CPU players is going to be much lower in AA, perhaps too low. So use the sliders to make them better. Just don't use the same set when you play MLB games or you might be outmatched.

Playing RTTS in AA you might need to speed up the fielders and make them react faster or throw harder so you don't see as many triples, etc.

Last edited by jmik58; 03-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #84
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
Which is correct. But that is a sample of 2. I do not claim its 100%. In my two games that i tracked each inning, i did have a one inning/occurance that wasn't a #1 pitch thrown down the middle. I have had 18 innings. 1 wasn't a #1 pitch and it was a ball. 17 other times it was the #1 pitch. All were strikes, 3 of those were low strikes, the rest down the middle. This is in exhibition, all-star. I mentioned prior i have faced five relievers in those games. Three started an inning. The other two did throw their #1 pitch on the first pitch. One was down the middle. The other was a strike slightly to the right. I should add i was the road team both games. I'll be the home team next time.
I understand. It looks like the average of first pitch strikes in all at-bats is around 58-62%. I can't find any stats about the strike percentage of just the first batter of an inning but I assume it's somewhat close to this maybe slightly higher. This does sound to be an issue, albeit not as large as the RTTS issue dealing with EVERY at-bat.

There is a bug report on The Show Nation site about just the RTTS first pitch bug, it has 5 votes. Maybe we should have someone make another bug report about the exhibition/franchise first pitch of each inning bug and up vote both of them if we all agree these are indeed the issues and have a consensus
Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #85
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
I understand. It looks like the average of first pitch strikes in all at-bats is around 58-62%. I can't find any stats about the strike percentage of just the first batter of an inning but I assume it's somewhat close to this maybe slightly higher. This does sound to be an issue, albeit not as large as the RTTS issue dealing with EVERY at-bat.

There is a bug report on The Show Nation site about just the RTTS first pitch bug, it has 5 votes. Maybe we should have someone make another bug report about the exhibition/franchise first pitch of each inning bug and up vote both of them if we all agree these are indeed the issues and have a consensus
This should be very easy for others to test. I am playing Texas at Toronto- Exhibition- All-Star. Simming everything but the first pitch in an inning and seeing the result to make sure. Texas pitchers have thrown their #1 pitch each inning, one was a ball. Second game was similar in that all nine were #1s again, but 3 of them were not right down the middle.

What is funny is i thought this thread was full of it when i first saw it. I didn't even notice that it was happening to me.

Bug report 10370 if anyone else would like to recommend it. I would at least like to see others test it.

Last edited by dkrause1971; 03-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #86
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Some of the sliders could have an inverse relationship with the effect you're seeking. Lowering the pitcher consistency slider could make them throw MORE meatballs. Assuming that their pitcher wants to hit the corner, up the slider so they don't miss down the middle.

I would highly suggest that people consider having three different sets of sliders. One for AA, AAA, and MLB games. The skill of the CPU players is going to be much lower in AA, perhaps too low. So use the sliders to make them better. Just don't use the same set when you play MLB games or you might be outmatched.

Playing RTTS in AA you might need to speed up the fielders and make them react faster or throw harder so you don't see as many triples, etc.
Control affects the meatballs a lot more than Consistency.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #87
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Has anyone who thinks this is an issue tried lowering the CPU Strike Frequency slider? That's exactly what it does, you know - lowers the strike % in early counts (up to the first 3 pitches in an at-bat, before either the pitcher or batter gets ahead). It doesn't affect the entire at-bat directly (though it could certainly affect the pitch selection and strategy for the remainder of it)
I mentioned this earlier in the thread and of course it's ignored. This slider has always needed to be adjusted and seems like it's no difference this year. I'll have to try it out some more tonight, because I noticed there was seemingly too many 1st pitch fastballs as well. But this was in RttS and AA, where it makes sense that weaker pitchers are trying to get ahead.

ie: lower the slider guys, or up the difficulty...or both.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #88
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

I have always played with 1 or 2 ticks for strike frequency, I mentioned it earlier if you follow the thread..it still happens in RTTS. The "helpful" suggestions arent helpful, we arent stupid, or most of us arent. Ive tried lowering and then upped everything but strike frequency and it still happens. Ive played 17 games in RTTS and I have 12 home runs, I had 7 after 6 games. Im crushing the ball because its coming right down the middle, or there abouts, its not in the corners or outside. Just what Im seeing and have tried all the helpful hints.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »