Home

first pitch meatballs....bug?

This is a discussion on first pitch meatballs....bug? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
"You can literally sit on the first pitch and hammer it"

You say that, but...are you actually doing it? The AI DOES adapt in this game to situations like this (it explains in the in-game strategy guide). If it sees you taking deep strikes, It's not going to worry as much about trying to paint the corners and just come after you. Swing at those (and hit them solidly) and the AI will be more cautious, try to pick the corners more and get you to chase. In short, you get a more balanced approach from the AI when you have good plate coverage.

I'll post exactly where it says this in the guide if I need to.
Yes. You're missing the point. When the game always starts off the first few batters this way before it learns, it's still terribly unrealistic.

At some point you have to slam those first pitch meatballs or you'll be down 0-1 every at bat, like someone else said.

I started 10 different games in a row last night. On EVERY first pitch of the game, it was a fastball right down the middle, inside of the center bad trike zone box. I didn't go further than that, I just wanted to check that one issue. For me, that in itself is a big deal and a bad bug.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
Baseball King

bobtrain's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
Yes. You're missing the point. When the game always starts off the first few batters this way before it learns, it's still terribly unrealistic.

At some point you have to slam those first pitch meatballs or you'll be down 0-1 every at bat, like someone else said.

I started 10 different games in a row last night. On EVERY first pitch of the game, it was a fastball right down the middle, inside of the center bad trike zone box. I didn't go further than that, I just wanted to check that one issue. For me, that in itself is a big deal and a bad bug.
MLB average is 58% first pitch according to Fan Graph. The game should replicate that as much as possible.

MLB: Milwaukee Brewers
NFL: Green Bay Packers
CFB: Minnesota Gophers
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
Pro

zpq12's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bautistabomb
Sounds like whenever a new pitcher enters the game, the first pitch will always be right down the middle of the plate (Meatball). I'm gonna have to test this out. This is a potential game breaking bug. The problem is if you don't want to exploit this bug and take every first pitch, then you are 0-1 to start every at bat which is no better.
I'm glad(but really very, very not) that I'm not the only one seeing this. Your post is right on.

I know there are SCEA guys that use the forums, is there a way to get them to see/acknowledge/address this?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #28
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5
Anyone experienced this in AAA? I had the same thing till I got promoted. As far as the first pitch after a reliever comes in, watch a game, they usually do the same thing irl to get ahead because the hitter's usually taking all the way to get a feel for the new guy's fastball.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: first pitch meatballs....bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpq12
I'm glad(but really very, very not) that I'm not the only one seeing this. Your post is right on.

I know there are SCEA guys that use the forums, is there a way to get them to see/acknowledge/address this?
I think this is a bug which was also present last year, but you can get off the mound (L1) and select a pitch again, so it's not as big of a deal. It's not that the pitch goes right down the middle, but the primary pitch is preselected, I believe.

Edit: it's possible you guys are talking about something different though... I generally don't agree with there being too many meatballs. You guys must be playing at lower difficulty levels?

Last edited by nomo17k; 03-06-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
Oh Deer!

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

On all star there are too many first pitch fastballs down the middle. Theres no doubt in my mind its a issue. Im gonna up the difficulty to see if that changes but it most definitely happens on all star.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

OVR: 6

Have to agree I have seen a tonne of 1st pitch strikes right down the pipe in RTTS on All star.

Not noticed it as much in exhibition games.

Suspect this should be fixed with difficulty/ sliders though.

I wouldn't call it a 'bug'
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

If this is indeed a glitch and you guys want it possibly fixed, I encourage you to post the strike % from the pitcher analysis filter that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I ran a few CPU vs, CPU games and pitchers sometimes go as low as 45% in strike % (natural variance). So I'm not seeing your issues myself.

... Impressions only go so far sometimes.

One other thing to note is that difficulty level gets lowered under the hood down in minor league games in RTTS. So CPU may throw slightly more strikes (but not always... only a couple %) in AA or even AAA. But that's by design so you might want to increase the difficulty above your natural level if this bothers you so much.

Last edited by nomo17k; 03-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »