Home

first pitch meatballs....bug?

This is a discussion on first pitch meatballs....bug? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #401
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: first pitch meatballs....bug?

How utterly bizarre that this can affect what pitch comes and the first pitch strike ratio so much!

Worth more testing for sure.

As for me im going to test on all default HOF but with one slider change, the CPU Strike Frequency zeroed out to 0, this only affects early count pitches so im hoping this move might bring it to realistic levels without having to mess around with anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #402
Rookie

bautistabomb's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfickle
I've found that taking a timeout (down on the dpad) when the pitching display grays out seems to prevent this issue. This is on RTTS and a low difficulty, but I'm noticing the pitchers throw out of the zone and different pitch types.
Holy ****, I think you found a workaround for the first pitch meatball!! I played 3 RTTS games calling time before the first pitch and am now getting different pitches and a lot more balls. THANK YOU SO MUCH, this has saved RTTS for me.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #403
MVP

OVR: 14

Just tried another game. All-star, Default but I tried CPU Strike Freq to 0%.

I was Pitt hosting the Reds and J. Cueto.

I continued with the "take time after they select their pitch" strategy. Seemed to continue working for me with a more varied result. I didn't do it for one inning just to check it out, and sure enough I blasted a solo shot to center field with Pedro Alvarez. After that, I went back to taking time.

The end result was very similar to to my last game with [email protected] Overall strike% was 60%, with first pitch strikes at 57% and early count strikes at 61%.

I drew 2 walks off Cueto (4 overall for the game). Total pitches over the 8 innings (I was home team and I won) was 124 with 20 fouls for me.

I'll continue going this route. I will keep the CPU Strike Freq to 0. It felt like it brings the relievers down to earth a little more, while not affecting the studs so much. My last 10 games or so I felt that the relievers throw too many strikes early and often.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #404
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

If this is indeed a solution, it makes me wonder why I hadn't been able to reproduce this in my games. (... it makes me sad that I don't seem to get what other people get... jk)

It's all great that the game now appears to play as designed now, but the guys who have had this problem probably want to see if you could reproduce the problem by not calling timeouts. If this has indeed been a bug, then it may be worth notifying them under what condition this has happened, to make it easier for them to potentially hunt down where things are going wrong.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #405
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bautistabomb
Holy ****, I think you found a workaround for the first pitch meatball!! I played 3 RTTS games calling time before the first pitch and am now getting different pitches and a lot more balls. THANK YOU SO MUCH, this has saved RTTS for me.
Yea, same here.

At first I thought it was first pitch of every at-bat, but then I realized it was just a chain reaction all starting from the very first pitch of every inning. The 0-1 counts led to too many 0-2 counts, which led to too much chasing and too high of CPU confidence. Otherwise, if I swung at that pitch it was leading to either too many quick outs (and less pitches, more stamina, more confidence) or to too many crushed balls which spiraled the CPU out of control. It was just too many strikes strikes strikes no matter what was happening with the result.

Now, again I reiterate it was only 2 games, the games felt much more natural. I went 1-1 but was able to draw 10 walks total while keeping the CPU pitch counts/stamina/confidence to a normal level while first pitch strikes and overall strikes percentages were in the high 50% or mid to low 60%.

This looks promising because otherwise the gameplay is just about perfect for me.

The simple fix of fixing that constant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #406
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

I tried the pausing as well and it seem to have an immediate affect. First pitch was a slider (#3 pitch) high and tight and almost hit me. The next at bat it looked almost like a pitch out but no one was on base.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #407
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

If this really is a fix, it should work on the Vita version as well - you can call time with the same button on there, to my surprise. I don't remember being able to do that last year on the Vita - guess I just didn't remember it.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #408
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Honestly running CPU vs. CPU games just to hunt down this particular bus isn't worth the time, I think. It's a bit of an overkill for what now appears to be an issue with a workaround.

What I would suggest is just go back and play a couple games *without* the d-pad pause workaround, and see if your games revert back to the old state of strike friendliness.

Do you see the problem again? Then it's a pretty solid evidence that there's something funny happening before and after the d-pad pause. That's probably good enough report to file a solid bug report at theshownation.

There must be some difference in the ways you guys and *I* set up the play settings that have lead to this problem for you but not for me... but that probably might be harder to nail down, since we aren't physically working side by side and we of course don't remember all the steps that we took after playing quite a few games.

This method of correcting a bug looks awfully familiar... like in previous years we had to cancel signs by pressing pause in RTTS when a hit-and-run was on, otherwise the runner who stole second on a failed hit-and-run attempt proceeded to steal third every time...

Maybe the game introduced a bug when the Beginner mode was implemented, to override the user setting. (still wondering why I never see the issue... but anyways)

Great catch guys!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »