Home

Justin Upton's rating

This is a discussion on Justin Upton's rating within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Justin Upton's rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
Justin Upton's MLB 12 ratings:
This gives him an overall 95 rating in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #26
Rookie

ptbnl's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
If you look at his career splits, his SLG% is very similar for both lefties and righties. One season of data isn't always enough when it comes to platoon splits...
FWIW: Miguel Cabrera's career ISOP vs. lefties and righties...
vs. L: .231; vs. R: .245

Garrett Jones career ISOP
vs. L: .154; vs. R: .225

Cabrera hits lefties and righties equally well, too (.316/.320); Jones does not (.197/.280)

Last edited by ptbnl; 05-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbnl
FWIW: Miguel Cabrera's career ISOP vs. lefties and righties...
vs. L: .231; vs. R: .245

Garrett Jones career ISOP
vs. L: .154; vs. R: .225
So power is the only thing that is responsible for the quality of a hit? That's a pretty biased way to look at evidence. Of course he hits more extra-base hits and home runs against righties, because he picks up the ball better and makes better contact.

None of the stats anyone has posted actually prove that a hitter's muscles change in competence depending on the arm the pitcher is using.

I haven't actually looked and calculated it myself, but if you really want to prove either side, you would need to compare his ISO (or slugging) to his batting average, and make some sort of ratio of the two numbers, for each side, so that you can see whether the ratio of singles to hits changes.

Last edited by Bobhead; 05-16-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

The power rating just represents the likeliness of him hitting a HR vs LHP or RHP... it's not saying their muscles change.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3no_11
The power rating just represents the likeliness of him hitting a HR vs LHP or RHP... it's not saying their muscles change.
But it doesn't. If it worked solely in this way I'd be fine with it. But unfortunately Power also affects your ability to hit the ball out of the infield, and do other various things. The way the ratings currently are, a ground ball hit against a left-handed pitcher will not travel as quickly or as far as a ground ball against a right-handed pitcher. That's what I find quite silly.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #30
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
But it doesn't. If it worked solely in this way I'd be fine with it. But unfortunately Power also affects your ability to hit the ball out of the infield, and do other various things. The way the ratings currently are, a ground ball hit against a left-handed pitcher will not travel as quickly or as far as a ground ball against a right-handed pitcher. That's what I find quite silly.
To an extent yes, but you don't have to have 40+ power to drive the ball out of the park or even out of the infield. I think it is more weighted on contact and vision.

I think it might be a way of showing the difference between a batter facing a RHP or LHP... it is much more of a transition in real life and maybe the way the ratings are, try to represent that. If they didn't then players would probably have very similar numbers both against LHP and RHP and that's not how it usually works.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I haven't actually looked and calculated it myself, but if you really want to prove either side, you would need to compare his ISO (or slugging) to his batting average, and make some sort of ratio of the two numbers, for each side, so that you can see whether the ratio of singles to hits changes.
The Iso Power does separate the sheer power from the contact. That's the sense behind this stat.
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/iso/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #32
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudl83
The Iso Power does separate the sheer power from the contact. That's the sense behind this stat.
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/iso/
Right. Separation is bad. You want to look at both so that you can see the correlation and/or ratio, which is the critical number here. Hitting more XBH's and HR's doesn't mean much alone, there are a variety of factors that could explain it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »