Home

True Game MLB Sliders

This is a discussion on True Game MLB Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

OVR: 0
Quick Count MLB18 Sliders With Modifiers

I would first like to start off by saying that BYU 14's Quick Count slider set is very good and I have adopted it as my slider set so give him the credit and check out his blog for updates. What I have done is added modifiers and only changed one or two sliders as you will see. Quick Count is the way to go for sure, you get the K's and BB and it puts a little added pressure on you when you come to the plate with a few balls or strikes already. Be patient is my advice and what is great is that you can tailor your sliders to you and over time adjust them accordingly to keep it real.

I have been a great fan of the MLB series for years. I have done plenty of testing and modifications with sliders and have developed a modifier concept that enhances game play from game to game and as often as it seems that patches comes out it allows of that variety to counter it at times.

It is great to be back again this year and I look forward to putting out another set with modifications that bring that extra challenge and excitement from game to game . Thanks for all that provided feedback over the past year. This Season BYU14 and bryanm have been a big part now and in the past with getting these sliders to where we are at now.

I must say that I need to endorse BYU14 sliders!

Play is conducted on the PS4.

April 15, 2018 UPDATED SETTINGS my V1.2:
Hitting/Pitching: All Star hitting and Hall Of Fame - Classic Pitching Style.
Auto fielding and base running
Quick Counts - Adds more realism and pressure when you come to the plate with various pitch counts etc. and it works well with pitcher stamina and getting realistic pitch counts, K's, and walks.
Directional hitting
Hot Zones: Off
Strike Zones: Off

Notes from sliders:
Power: 5 - Seems to be the trend across the board.
Timing: 5 I tested lower and think it is adding to the already lack of offense and hit variety that I am experiencing. A little higher here to put some more balls in play etc.
Foul Fr: 3 allows for a variety of hitting and K's
Solid H: 5
St Stam: 6 - This is a must increase slider. For both the CPU and Human. I will keep an eye if we need to jump higher to allow pitchers to stay in for a realistic pitch count if they were pulled for getting shelled early. I was on 7 last year (MLB17) but so far 6 seems to be working well.
R Stam: 4
P Contr: 4
P Cons: 5
CSTR Fr: 0 does not apply on quick counts so leave on
CPU HK: 5 - Seems to be fixed since the patch and back more to base line. Will still keep any eye on this though
Pick Off: 5
BR SPd: 4 - Provides a realistic base runner speed for a baseline starting point. Modifiers are added if applied.
Errors: 5 Throwing and Fielding. But with modifiers added in I will have to see what I notice.
Field Spd: 2 It seems to be better than last year when I had this at (0) will continue to watch and look for feedback. I decided to drop this from 4 to 2, fielders were still tracking everything down and ranging a little to well in the OF. Will continue to monitor.
Infield and outfield Arm: 5 - Good starting point and not so overpowering.
FLD Reac: 4 (Plays a key role in singles through the hole - Separates the really good infielders from the average players on hot shots down the line and in the hole. Reduce no lower than 3 or you will take away of the game).
Steal Abilty : 7
Steal Freq: 7
Pitch spds : 5 fast ball; 5 off speed - It is your preference.
Injury: 6
Wind: 5 - I roll wind each game with 2 d6 dice, 2-10 and 11=1, 12=0 for the wind for the game. I believe this change game to game based on the dice roll and it adds another concept and variety to the game.
Trade: 4 Increased to 5 in May, 6 in June, and 7 in July of each season until spring training.

SLIDER MODIFICATION NOTE EXPLAINED:
I went a step further and added a system which will add modifiers each game to the base-line settings. I have provided below an attachment which details what slider is increased or decreased. When I experimented with this about this time last year I was amazed that every game was now different and presented an entirely new challenge rather than sticking with the base-line sliders as I have done and I am sure as all of you have done now and in the past. As in real life teams go through highs and lows and my adding these modifiers I can now add that factor from game to game to certain sliders rather just sticking with a baseline all year.

To explain I took a deck of cards no Jokers this year. I tried to simplify the process based on feedback.

1. I assigned a modifier value to each card.
2. Once I start the game I go into the sliders options in settings and I draw 3 cards from the deck, after a good shuffle. 3 cards has been working great and looks like it provides just the right mix of modifiers.
3. I take those modifiers and apply them to the base-line stats.
4. Once the game is over I reset the sliders to the original base line value.

Doing this creates a new game you could say each time with a new challenge and depending on who you match up against and opens the doors for exciting game play and opportunities. What I noticed over the course of the season up and downs that True MLB teams experience.

I am going to go back to CPU and Human modifiers as I did last season. I did away with the home and away modifiers and decided to go back to my CPU and Human variety

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the modifiers or ideas that could make them better...Below is the modifiers that I am working on and I have also attached the file.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MLB Modifiers V1.2.JPG (147.0 KB, 9918 views)

Last edited by CoachModer; 04-15-2018 at 10:30 PM. Reason: MLB 18 Update
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

Re: True Game MLB Sliders

Got the Fielder Speed idea from Hashtagjorgie's Sliders. He has a great post on his slider set as to why zero (0) makes perfect sense. It is the only way to go...Great Job Hashtagjorgie!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 AM   #3
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

After going 10-12 over a twenty two game span, I swept the A's in Oakland to hopefully put away my losing ways recently. Just when I think I get a good modifier I don't take advantage of it. I am back in the HR lead up by two over Toronto for a 160-158 lead Baltimore is averaging 1.52 HR per game. I am currently averaging 1.40 per game. Still only batting around .235 compared to their .268, need to be more patient. Davis leads my team with 29 HR through 114 games, Trumbo is coming on with 22 HR. I currently have the third best record behind the Dodgers and Indians. Which is the same position that B-more is in now.

That's the great thing about the modifiers they so much more variety to the baseline sliders and I no longer slider chase throughout the season, with is that working or not working now...etc. Best experience I have had yet playing. If anyone has a thought or idea which could make it better I am open for suggestions.

You can also use the sliders when not using auto fielding and running. I run the players, but have it on auto running in case I am not paying attention. I like the auto fielding because it goes off the players ability and not me goofing it up. I am pretty good, but I would rather it be the player on the field that makes the error than me.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Coach
Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

My short 4 game winning streak is over as I was swept by the Giants in San Francisco. Lost 5-3, 9-4, and 1-0...

Cueto in the third game was on point and shut me down. They scored their lone run in the bottom of the 8th off Brad Brach who gave up 2 hits and a walk, 1 ER. I had a 1 hitter with Gallardo through 7. In the top of the 8th I had runners on first and third one out. Pulled Gallardo for a pinch hitter K. Morales, who I got offered in a trade in late July, line out to the first baseman who in turn tug Adam Jones out as he dove back to first.

Each team ended up with three hits in a rainy game. I believe the rain played factor in addition to Cueto. I had a +1 Con for me (thought I would to good with a 10 contact - wrong answer, and that is what is good about adding modifiers, just when you think you have little bit of an edge, you don't, CPU got -2 Power, +1 Solid hits, +1 pitch Control, +1 Pitch Consistency. With these modifiers I no longer slider chase and am very happy with each game and each game is a challenge in its own way.

Now it is off to an 8 game home stand. First up Boston for two.

If you want me to post me stats or share what I have so far just let me know.

Coach
Old 07-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #5
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

Great two game series at home vs. Boston.

Won the first game 6-4 to snap my losing streak. Almost blew it as Boston loaded the bases in the 9th with one out, but got shut down my Zach Britton.

The second had an exciting finish:

Down 4-3 in the bottom of the 9th JJ Hardy walked. Jonathan Schoop struck out. Jimmy Parades singled, Hardy to 2nd. I decided to bunt with Joey Rickard on a 1-1 count and he laid down a perfect bunt and just barely beat it out. My thought was to get Hardy to 3rd and Parades to second at least with Adam Jones due up and stay out of the double play. With the bases loaded Jones Singled and scored Hardy to tie the game at 4-4. With bases loaded one out, Machado came to the plate with a 3-1 count, I held up - Ball 4 Orioles Walk off....

Next Game Houston Astros:

Some more 9th inning drama. Down 5-2 Schoop and Parades get on with 1 out, Rickard up, I decide to Pinch hit with Adam Jones who I sat that game in place of Rickard then launched a 3 run shot to deep right center to tie the game at 5-5. I ended up losing in the 12th 6-5 on a double and a single. I had Machado on 3rd with one out, but Davis popped out and Morales K'd to end the game.

More to follow...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

Astros take 3 of 4, thanks to the bullpen and Brad Brach who took the loss in 4-2 defeat in game 4 of the series, allowing 2 runs late and the offense sputtered late with runners in scoring position...But the O's respond vs. Washington with a 4-0 complete game shut out by Chris Tillman for his 12th win of the season. K. Morales provided a 2 run shot in the bottom of the 7th to create some separation, which wasn't need, but you never know about the CPU AI or if Tillman started to get rocked in the late innings. Record now 74-50. 5.5 game lead over Toronto in the AL East.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:03 AM   #7
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

Washington take game two to split the series 7-3, behind homeruns Jason Werth (3 run shot) and Rendon, and Ramos. I had some good modifiers that game too, but that is the thing with these modifiers they add so much more to the game.

Kevin Gausman was denied his 15th win and was bested by Strausburg who tore me up with his change and curve.

Off to Washington where I swept the two game series.

Game 1 saw Jimmy Parades power out a Grand Slam in the 8th inning for his 14th HR, to take a 6-4 lead which I held on to, to clinch the win.

I game two I drew the Pitch HOF and Bat Vet card applied the modifiers the CPU got a Solid hit increase as well and I thought I was done. Ending up just barely winning 5-4, after having a 5-1 lead. Zach Britton shut down the Nationals in the bottom of the 9th with runners on first and third (thanks to O'Day and giving up 2 runs) for his 34th save - he has been clutch!

Of to the Yankees for 3...Currently hold a 5 game lead over Toronto.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
Rookie

CoachModer's Arena

One reason I dislike the Yankees they seem to pull it out in the last minute or inning you could say. Swept in 3 games. Lost 5-3, 4-3, and 3-2. The last two losses are in the bottom of the 9th when I was either tied or winning going in to the 9th.... Enough said on that...

With that said, it was back home for a three game set vs. Toronto who now narrowed the lead to 3 games.

Game 1 saw the O's post 6 first inning runs, only to go stagnant after that. Tolu, Encarnacion, and Donaldson ripped me with HRs. Toronto stormed back and had a 7-6 lead going into the bottom of 9. It was fitting to pull a NYY style win and come back to tie the game and then win it 8-7 on a RBI single to right with Schoop.

Game 2 was a 5-4 loss. Had plenty of chances and the only O's highlight - for the first time this season Jimmy Parades hit for the cycle in a losing effort. 5-5 first time I had a batter do that all year, I want to say the most I had by one player was 3 hits, maybe. Parades, Single, Double, Triple, and 2 HRs. 3 RBI.

Game 3 saw Toronto go up 2-0 after 1 Parades who remained hot tied the game on a 2 run shot, to have the lead slip again after a 2 run shot by Jose Bautista for a 4-2 lead. Once again B-more tied the game at 2 only to see the lead slip late on an error filled 8th inning and now down 7-4. More 9th inning drama. Parades and Machado reached, Chris Davis k'd. K. Morales comes to the plate and I though here comes another pop-out like he has been doing all game. To my surprise he gets a hold of one and drives it deep the left center for a three run shot game tied at 7-7. Next Batter David Schoop launched a bomb to left - Walk off in style with 2 back to back jacks!

4 Game lead over Toronto as the Yankees come to town, I am ready for some pay back!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »