Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 18 Version Season-Mode Memorial Edition]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 18 Version Season-Mode Memorial Edition] within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #1
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 18 Version Season-Mode Memorial Edition]

This thread will be about yet another attempt at creating a slider set based on empirical data through running a bunch of CPU vs. CPU games, without any user input at all, just because there should still be a place for misanthropes. There was a similar thread last year.

CPU vs. CPU games master data spreadsheet

Last edited by nomo17k; 04-02-2018 at 03:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 18 Version Season-Mode Memorial Edition]

Another placeholder...
Old 04-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

The initial 75-game set with default sliders has been completed and I'm now testing a new set (which is pretty close to the last year's set). The spreadsheet is accessible in the first post.

I'd summarize what I see with default sliders and what I am trying to do and what not, but for some reason I'm hella sleepy now, so I'll do it in another opportunity, perhaps tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here is the picture of Rollie & Rickey mourning the loss of the Season Mode, which has been an essential part of CPU vs. CPU testing over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180401_152943.jpg (130.4 KB, 2786 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Nomo is back. The one and only original, Don't except any Imitations NOMO. Thank God. Why you gotta scare us every year Bro.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
The initial 75-game set with default sliders has been completed and I'm now testing a new set (which is pretty close to the last year's set). The spreadsheet is accessible in the first post.

I'd summarize what I see with default sliders and what I am trying to do and what not, but for some reason I'm hella sleepy now, so I'll do it in another opportunity, perhaps tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here is the picture of Rollie & Rickey mourning the loss of the Season Mode, which has been an essential part of CPU vs. CPU testing over the years.
Awesome Nomo. Your testing comforts my OCSD. (Obsessive Compulsive Stat Disorder). Those spreadsheets are like my prescription.

By the way, Rollie and Rickey haven't aged a day since they played! They look great for their age. Something looks different about them but I can't put my finger on it...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpinkster
Nomo is back. The one and only original, Don't except any Imitations NOMO. Thank God. Why you gotta scare us every year Bro.
I wouldn't mind someone imitating and even doing collaboration as that may make the process go faster. But I at least want to stick to the procedure and standards that have worked reasonably well, so this isn't particularly fun thing to do (I track too much for most want to bother).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
Awesome Nomo. Your testing comforts my OCSD. (Obsessive Compulsive Stat Disorder). Those spreadsheets are like my prescription.

By the way, Rollie and Rickey haven't aged a day since they played! They look great for their age. Something looks different about them but I can't put my finger on it...
Every A's game at the Coliseum, Dennis (Eckersley), Rollie, and Rickey do an on-field race. It's so painful to watch the old guys run so hard that their heads swell like this.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:44 AM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

My impression after the initial 75-game set with default sliders are that the game is tuned pretty similarly to the last year's game (except HRs... there was a ball physics issue), meaning that offense is quite a bit down and the game is quite strikeout happy.

Also, this year's game appears to have a shortage of HRs (which is the opposite of what it was last year).

It's a little interesting given how many guys have commented that they feel the gameplay this year is as good as they've ever seen, and the game appears to be very well tuned out of the box. (I agree that the vastly better ball physics/hitting engine leads to that impression.) But the numbers appear to show the game at default continues the PS4 era tradition of anemic offense out of the box.

So that's why I've upped quite a few sliders in favor of more offense (pretty close to MLB 17 version of the sliders). But that appeared to have overshot a bit (the 4/1 set), so I'm now testing a little toned down version with the 4/2 set.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16

Nomo....simply, welcome back buddy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »