Home

Help with timing hitting.

This is a discussion on Help with timing hitting. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Help with timing hitting.

posting here so i can stay in this discussion. also a timing hitter, playing on Vet now, only adjustment is solid hits down to 3. Getting decent variety with these settings.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0

What I noticed when I tried Timing pitching is that since you can't control the location of the PCI that the batters themseves are setting it. I would swing and miss at a high strink and the game would indicate that the coverage indicator was covering the bottom half of the zone. I did not move it so I have to assume the batter is making a guess at it.I turned it off pretty quickly.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 4

some great advice here folks. At least it is good to see I am not the only one. Going to try some slider adjustments as suggested.

Thanks again!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6

I've always been a timing hitter but it's horrible this year. Guessing the pitch doesn't even help. Easy fly out or weak grounder like you said or just miss. I switched to the default hitting and all of my Rockies are hitting 260 or better. CarGo and Tulo in the 330's
Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I use timing and my team average is ~.264 which is good enough for 2nd in the AL.

Be wary of decreasing pitch speed (a common tip). My problem is how often I am early on pitches. One of the harder things to do is sit back on a change up and if you decrease speed you make it that much harder.

I do not use guess pitch. I read pitches and wait for a goodie to hit.

As some have pointed out, batters decide where to look for a pitch on their own. Sometimes it makes sense, other times it does not. It is ratings based and I've noticed that they are fond of looking for pitches in their cold zones. It may make sense, but it is a stupid thing for Chris Davis to look low and away and then whiff on a 4 seamer up in the zone.
But there are also times where they guess right. Michael Cuddyer is killing it for me and it is largely because he does this well.

And always remember to work the count. At times it seems as if there is a hidden mechanic where you get a bonus if it is a >5 pitch at bat
Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
I've always been a timing hitter but it's horrible this year. Guessing the pitch doesn't even help. Easy fly out or weak grounder like you said or just miss. I switched to the default hitting and all of my Rockies are hitting 260 or better. CarGo and Tulo in the 330's
Then it seems you have the opposite problem. You need to increase difficulty or something.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I use timing and my team average is ~.264 which is good enough for 2nd in the AL.

Be wary of decreasing pitch speed (a common tip). My problem is how often I am early on pitches. One of the harder things to do is sit back on a change up and if you decrease speed you make it that much harder.

I do not use guess pitch. I read pitches and wait for a goodie to hit.

As some have pointed out, batters decide where to look for a pitch on their own. Sometimes it makes sense, other times it does not. It is ratings based and I've noticed that they are fond of looking for pitches in their cold zones. It may make sense, but it is a stupid thing for Chris Davis to look low and away and then whiff on a 4 seamer up in the zone.
But there are also times where they guess right. Michael Cuddyer is killing it for me and it is largely because he does this well.

And always remember to work the count. At times it seems as if there is a hidden mechanic where you get a bonus if it is a >5 pitch at bat
That's incredible! Good job man! Did you have to change any sliders to do this and which Difficulty level are you on?

I dropped the pitch speed a click and just had an 11 hit game! Though I agree on being weary of how it will impact the user's perception of the offspeed stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
That's incredible! Good job man! Did you have to change any sliders to do this and which Difficulty level are you on?

I dropped the pitch speed a click and just had an 11 hit game! Though I agree on being weary of how it will impact the user's perception of the offspeed stuff.
I use armor and sword's timmed sim sliders.

I use the Orioles and if you use timmed hitting the team and players make a huge difference. I picked up Cuddyer in the offseason so my lineup is pretty damn good. Not sure how I would do with another team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »