Home

This game feels so scripted at times

This is a discussion on This game feels so scripted at times within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #25
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: This game feels so scripted at times

I heard a rumor a couple years ago that SCEA was trying to hire away a Naughty Dog script writer (Amy Hennig?), so that The Show can be a little better scripted. I don't know what the status is.

One of the reasons why some people feel bewildered by the ineffectiveness of relievers (which often cause late-inning surge of CPU offense) may be that they don't know how much the size of PCI changes based on the pitcher's ratings.

Since you cannot put the PCI on while CPU is batting, even if you throw a fastball in the same location, with a decent starter and a below-average reliever one can retire the batter while the other goes into the stand.

You need to be a lot more careful with relievers than with starters.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 2

And you know when your starter gets shelled they are getting more looks at you as the game on, then they finally brake through the third time through the lineup. My bullpen is very solid and I play with the cubs, I've only blown a couple leads not very many at all 50 games in.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:51 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I heard a rumor a couple years ago that SCEA was trying to hire away a Naughty Dog script writer (Amy Hennig?), so that The Show can be a little better scripted. I don't know what the status is.

One of the reasons why some people feel bewildered by the ineffectiveness of relievers (which often cause late-inning surge of CPU offense) may be that they don't know how much the size of PCI changes based on the pitcher's ratings.

Since you cannot put the PCI on while CPU is batting, even if you throw a fastball in the same location, with a decent starter and a below-average reliever one can retire the batter while the other goes into the stand.

You need to be a lot more careful with relievers than with starters.
I'm always checking my late-game matchups with left on the D-pad once my relievers are in the game. If I have an average or below H/9 pitcher in there, and a good hitter against that same handed pitcher is coming up, I'm either looking for a better matchup or being VERY careful, to the point where I won't even aim anything in the strike zone (hoping that I might get a lucky corner strike or a swing and miss). It's bad, bad news if you try to throw on a corner and miss over the plate in that situation.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #28
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Relievers are always an adventure. Your best reliever will be the equivalent to a number 5 starter. So tread lightly.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #29
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Is this another way of saying "comeback code" without actually saying it?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #30
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4

It has been told a lot of times, but this topic comes up every year:

There is no "comeback code" or scripting in this game. If you are experiencing late comeback, you are responsible for it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
Banned

allstardad's Arena

OVR: 0

I think one of the issues is that people start trying to force their way out of a bad inning/jam and forget to "pitch". They start trying to quickly get through the rough stretch, throw more hittable pitches and then everything snowballs from there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #32
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstardad
I think one of the issues is that people start trying to force their way out of a bad inning/jam and forget to "pitch". They start trying to quickly get through the rough stretch, throw more hittable pitches and then everything snowballs from there.
This.

I have to catch myself quite often trying to just 'get through' an inning.

This is one of the great things about this game. If you don't focus, it will make you pay. I think its a good representation of MLB baseball...these guys are the best in the world at what they do, there are no easy outs, and if you don't bear down you will be in trouble.

Example:

I don't get a lot of time to play so generally I get up before everyone else in my house on the weekends and get a game or two in. Last Saturday, I'm in the 6th inning of a 1-0 game and my wife comes down from the bedroom earlier than she normally would on a weekend. She grabs a coffee and just sits on the sofa and has some idle chit chat with me while I'm playing. Before the end of the inning I'm trailing 6-1. I thought I was still focusing on the game and I went through a couple relievers to get the right match-ups etc, but I know I wasn't focused on the game as much as I should have. It happens.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »