Home

You make the call!

This is a discussion on You make the call! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #25
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: You make the call!

After the umpire calls “Play” the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire’s call of “Time” suspending play, the ball becomes dead. While the ball is dead no player may be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored, except that runners may advance one or more bases as the result of acts which occurred while the ball was alive (such as, but not limited to a balk, an overthrow, interference, or a home run or other fair ball hit out of the playing field).

I was wrong. He would be awarded 2 bases based on the actions that happened while the play was live.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
An odd play just happened in a game and I have no idea what the rule book states but I'm sure somebody here knows.

Situation- runner on first, 1 out, I'm batting

I hit lazy fly ball to center, I think that there are 2 outs so I send my runner to 3rd. The CF catches it and throws it in to the cutoff man. At this point I realize my mistake and watch helplessly as the CPU completes the easy double play.....

but wait! The cutoff man airmails the throw to the 1st baseman and the ball goes out of play.

Now, you make the call! What was the result of this play according to the Show?
I will make a multiple choice.

A. The runner gets a free retreat to first base.
B. The runner gets a free retreat to first base and is awarded 2nd base on the ball out of play.
C. The runner is allowed to score.
D. The double play is awarded to the fielding team. Inning over.

Also, If anyone knows how this would be ruled in real life please share!
Since the fielder was not the first fielder to touch the ball it depends on the position of the runners when the ball left the hand of the cutoff man. Therefore you did not provide enough information to make a decision.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #27
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerset
After the umpire calls “Play” the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire’s call of “Time” suspending play, the ball becomes dead. While the ball is dead no player may be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored, except that runners may advance one or more bases as the result of acts which occurred while the ball was alive (such as, but not limited to a balk, an overthrow, interference, or a home run or other fair ball hit out of the playing field).

I was wrong. He would be awarded 2 bases based on the actions that happened while the play was live.
This seems to be the correct answer. Its what i got when i asked other places. It would be nice to get an answer form some of these baseball writers or ESPN analysts but apparently they are to busy to reply.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Since the fielder was not the first fielder to touch the ball it depends on the position of the runners when the ball left the hand of the cutoff man. Therefore you did not provide enough information to make a decision.
The runner who was originally on 1B was standing on 3B when the cutoff man threw the ball into the stands.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #29

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Position of the runner is irrelevant since he is technically on first base regardless of where he physically stands due to leaving early.

Once the ball was thrown out of play before he had a fair chance to retreat to first he gets two bases from the base he owns which at the time is first base.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #30
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
It would be nice to get an answer form some of these baseball writers or ESPN analysts but apparently they are too busy to reply.
I highly doubt any of them even know the answer. You'd be surprised how many people in baseball don't know 100% of the rules.

This is the correct answer I believe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Position of the runner is irrelevant since he is technically on first base regardless of where he physically stands due to leaving early.

Once the ball was thrown out of play before he had a fair chance to retreat to first he gets two bases from the base he owns which at the time is first base.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
This seems to be the correct answer. Its what i got when i asked other places. It would be nice to get an answer form some of these baseball writers or ESPN analysts but apparently they are to busy to reply.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...ball_rules.pdf

Top of page 64, under rule 7.05:

If a runner is forced to return to a base after a catch, he must retouch his original base even
though, because of some ground rule or other rule, he is awarded additional bases. He may retouch while the ball is dead and the award is then made from his original base

Rule 7.10(b) used on this thread is not applied to the correct situation here. Note it says, "When the ball is dead." What it refers to is once a ball has been ruled dead, through an overthrow, home run, ground rule double, or ect, once a runner misses a base and occupies another, he cannot go back. This doesn't address when the ball is deemed live. So if you miss second on your home run trot, and you hit third, you're SOL if the opposing team appeals.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #32
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...ball_rules.pdf

Top of page 64, under rule 7.05:

If a runner is forced to return to a base after a catch, he must retouch his original base even
though, because of some ground rule or other rule, he is awarded additional bases. He may retouch while the ball is dead and the award is then made from his original base

Rule 7.10(b) used on this thread is not applied to the correct situation here. Note it says, "When the ball is dead." What it refers to is once a ball has been ruled dead, through an overthrow, home run, ground rule double, or ect, once a runner misses a base and occupies another, he cannot go back. This doesn't address when the ball is deemed live. So if you miss second on your home run trot, and you hit third, you're SOL if the opposing team appeals.
Yes he has to retouch his original base. But he is still given 3rd. Him having to go back doesnt change the final outcome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »