Home

New Attribute Idea

This is a discussion on New Attribute Idea within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15
New Attribute Idea

I made this tread on the last gen part of the forum, so I wanted to post it here as well to see what you guys thought here on the PS4.

I have been playing MLB The Show 14 a lot and have noticed some things about fielding and base running. Sometimes a batter will hit a ball to the shortstop and the SS double pumps and then makes the throw across the diamond. The animation looks great, really realistic, and then... the runner is safe at 1st because the throw was late. It looks like a play that would happen in real life and the runner in real life is almost always out.
The problem here is that every base runner goes all out on every ball in play. Isn't that how every player should be? Yes, but that's not how they play. If they hit a ground ball they know they will be out on, they then just trot on towards 1st not really trying too hard.
So I have thought of an attribute that The Show could use to help this and make it even more realistic. Te attribute would be called "Effort" or something along those lines. Every player is different so it would be cool if SCEA could rate them on how hard they would try in these situations. Of course if the ball was going to be a double every runner runs hard so it would just be about infield ground all situations. If a player has a 99 then he would run out every ball pit in play, but if they have a lower rating they just trot towards the base. Just thought this was a cool idea. Any other ideas or expand on this idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: New Attribute Idea

I suggested this in a Twitch.TV chat to Ramone and the crew. Ramone said the problem was that the MLBPA and Team Selig don't like the idea of categorizing players by "attitude" or "effort."

He made it sound as if the idea was brought up and discussed, perhaps with people from MLB's side, and eventually dismissed.

Personally, I don't see why it couldn't happen, especially since the NBA2K series made it work.

Perhaps you'd have to do it under a different sort of paradigm. Like, a "Personality" category where it's not a rating from 0-100. You'd have to be careful to frame each "Personality" so that they can't be construed as negative, or else you'd have a problem with the MLBPA again. So, for instance, you could never have a "Slacker" or "Clubhouse Cancer" as one of the "Personalities" -- you'd have "Relaxed" or "Clubhouse Prankster." You could then have them play out more or less the same, ie the "Relaxed" guys don't run out all the balls but maybe they're less susceptible to Cold Streaks (or whatever).

So long as they did it right, it could add a fun element to team-building. Don't want to overload your roster with Brett Butler-esque "Scrappers" any more than you do "Manny Being Mannies."
Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

This would work with Player Traits, similar to what Madden has.

In this instance, there could be a "Runs out Ground Balls Trait" with levels such as "Always", "On possible hits", "Only important situations" or something of that sort.

It could be done for taking extra bases, too (stretching singles into doubles, doubles into triples, 1st to 3rd on hits, etc).

I've posted this idea a few times in the past. I think it would really help diversify the game and give it some personality.

Watch me play video games
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

I'd just go with calling this attribute INFIELD HITS to skate around the MLBPA. Jose Iglesias would definitely be a 99 and Albert Pujols would be a zero.

Syracuse #44
Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
This would work with Player Traits, similar to what Madden has.

In this instance, there could be a "Runs out Ground Balls Trait" with levels such as "Always", "On possible hits", "Only important situations" or something of that sort.

It could be done for taking extra bases, too (stretching singles into doubles, doubles into triples, 1st to 3rd on hits, etc).

I've posted this idea a few times in the past. I think it would really help diversify the game and give it some personality.

Yeah I noticed madden had a trait thing am that was what I was thinking of when I made the thread. Also like one post said, NBA 2k has a personalities system.
That's a good idea, hopefully they can maybe put this in the game sometimes in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I'd just go with calling this attribute INFIELD HITS to skate around the MLBPA. Jose Iglesias would definitely be a 99 and Albert Pujols would be a zero.

Lol Bryce Harper would also be a zero.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

I hightly doubt SCEA SD could essentially create a "Laziness" attribute even if they wanted to.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I hightly doubt SCEA SD could essentially create a "Laziness" attribute even if they wanted to.
What if they spun it and made a "Hustle" attribute, so it reflects a positive characteristic, rather than negative?

Watch me play video games
Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoser
I made this tread on the last gen part of the forum, so I wanted to post it here as well to see what you guys thought here on the PS4.

I have been playing MLB The Show 14 a lot and have noticed some things about fielding and base running. Sometimes a batter will hit a ball to the shortstop and the SS double pumps and then makes the throw across the diamond. The animation looks great, really realistic, and then... the runner is safe at 1st because the throw was late. It looks like a play that would happen in real life and the runner in real life is almost always out.
The problem here is that every base runner goes all out on every ball in play. Isn't that how every player should be? Yes, but that's not how they play. If they hit a ground ball they know they will be out on, they then just trot on towards 1st not really trying too hard.
So I have thought of an attribute that The Show could use to help this and make it even more realistic. Te attribute would be called "Effort" or something along those lines. Every player is different so it would be cool if SCEA could rate them on how hard they would try in these situations. Of course if the ball was going to be a double every runner runs hard so it would just be about infield ground all situations. If a player has a 99 then he would run out every ball pit in play, but if they have a lower rating they just trot towards the base. Just thought this was a cool idea. Any other ideas or expand on this idea?

Even though we are limited by the animations we have captured, the scenario you describe above should never happen. Can you give more details...

Were you on defense? Which throwing interface were you using? Did you use the maximum throw effort if your throwing interface allows for input? Did you preload the throw before the ball was attached to you fielder's glove?

Please attach a video. There are instances in which an infielder will "take his time", but it should be in an appropriate situation and he should still get the out. I have yet to see a video of the scenario you described above, and finally seeing one could go a long way to resolving any bugs. In many cases in which I have spoken to someone having a similar issue, I have been able to point out certain "user error" problems that resolved the issue for them. Or...there may be some hole in our throw animation set, but we have worked hard to fill all of these gaps. Whatever the case, a video would help.

As far as the base running, I know at some point there was logic/code written that would slow the runner down on "sure" outs. I'm not sure if that feature made it through during the rewrite of the base running code this past year, but if not, I will point it out to the appropriate parties.

Last edited by Woodweaver; 07-24-2014 at 05:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »