Home

Learning your lesson...go and play!

This is a discussion on Learning your lesson...go and play! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #33
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Learning your lesson...go and play!

This is what I'm doing. I'm the type of player that plays about 1 game every 6th day in my season and then sims the rest so I can get through multiple seasons. This way I can play with each pitcher in my lineup each week, and I end up only playing 26 games in a season instead of 162.

So with that being said, I'm waiting for OSFM rosters. I like to rebuild bad teams into winners so I really want the authenticity of the OSFM.

But...in the meantime...

I made a fantasy draft franchise with GM Contracts turned off and I'm going to be playing that while waiting for the OSFM. It's better than just doing Play Now or Exhibition games and I get to play with a few of my favorite players in a fantasy drafted team.

Last edited by extremeskins04; 04-01-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

I think I'm going to run with season mode and go. I would like to get Bryant in the game so I'll either import him in or download a "prospects included" roster. One team control for me. I'm assuming if players get hurt on cpu run teams, the cpu will pick up free agents to fill the roster if they need to.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #35
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

Lesson I learned is not to buy the game before the ofsm rosters are out and the first major patch has dropped

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #36
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
Lesson I learned is not to buy the game before the ofsm rosters are out and the first major patch has dropped
Thats one workaround, but the bottom line is whether you get it on release or a month or two later, by waiting you are still denying yourself all that playing time, and as i said, i see that as a bit futile now (didnt used to), when you have kids, partners, jobs etc all vying for your gaming time.

Re: the patch - there are (as far as we seem to be aware) no game breaking issues anyway, so waiting for a patch that may come in two weeks, five weeks, two months...sorry, havent got time for that, bearing in mind there was already a patch ready for download when you got the game, its not going to be anytime soon.

Each to his own, for sure, im not trying to dictate anything to anyone else, merely share the lessons ive learnt over years of doing this process
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #37
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Been taking this approach for a while now. Finally got over the "slider disease" a few years ago.,
Me too. Last year (and most of the year before) I was "disease free."

Use me as an example, guys. I used to be exactly what Psychobulk described in the first post. I'd restart my Franchise even if I clicked one slider in on direction. I'd restart my Franchise when the patch would come out. I'd restart my Franchise when I changed interfaces. And I'd start again with OSFM. And guess how I felt? Yep. Stressed. It was stupid.

Quick Counts and Y2Y saves really motivated me to dig in and just play. Last year was especially very freeing. I had one and only one Franchise. I also went into it all with a sense of peace, knowing that this Frachise would continue, possibly for forever, so really, no one game stressed me out; as I knew this Yankees club would play hundreds more.

Now look at where I am. I'm already on year two and every stat is mine. I played every inning of every game last year, so I also feel a real sense of attachment to my club.

Even last night I had an overwhelming sense of love for the team I've built. Similar to an RPG.

Take it from me (and Psychobulk, and Skyboxer, and Armor, and bcruise, etc) that digging in and not looking back is freeing. You'll also thank yourself when 16 comes out. Trust me.

Just play.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #38
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Use me as an example, guys. I used to be exactly what Psychobulk described in the first post. I'd restart my Franchise even if I clicked one slider in on direction. I'd restart my Franchise when the patch would come out. I'd restart my Franchise when I changed interfaces. And I'd start again with OSFM. And guess how I felt? Yep. Stressed. It was stupid.
Wise words from a Show veteran.

Yep, know the feeling so well, thats EXACTLY where i was, for years and years, just continuously finding any and every spurious reason that i needed to restart my franchise...when the truth was none of them were really reasons at all, it was just me looking for excuses, as if i was somehow sub consciously scared of just diving right it and getting stuck right in.

Well...no more, thankfully.

When the SCEA roster drops Monday, thats it, ill be away...you too H&V or have you already started?
Old 04-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #39
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Wise words from a Show veteran.

Yep, know the feeling so well, thats EXACTLY where i was, for years and years, just continuously finding any and every spurious reason that i needed to restart my franchise...when the truth was none of them were really reasons at all, it was just me looking for excuses, as if i was somehow sub consciously scared of just diving right it and getting stuck right in.

Well...no more, thankfully.

When the SCEA roster drops Monday, thats it, ill be away...you too H&V or have you already started?
I went into 14 knowing full well I'd carry over to 15, which is exactly what I did.

So even though I've only played a couple games of MLB 15, I'm actually on the 16th game of my second Franchise season.

Right now, the only "waiting" I'm doing is getting my Dynamic Difficulty levels to All-Star, which I'll do in exhibition matches. Once I get to AS, I'll drop the Dynamic Difficulty slider to 2-3 and carry on my Franchise.

Generally I end up adjusting some sliders; Errors and SB related ones, specifically. Those I'll do as I progress my Franchise.

TL;DR: I'm continuing my 2014 Franchise and not looking back.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #40
Rookie

BearsnVodka's Arena

OVR: 0

For me I never stop while waiting for the rosters, I just do a franchise where I create myself and play with it through that so that I'm more focus on the Major league team and my player. Then when we get rosters I can choose to do more of a GM-centric franchise where having the players down to A ball which gives it so much depth and makes it a ton of fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »