Home

I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded

This is a discussion on I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 24
I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded

I'm really happy with physics overall this year. I can see some big improvements, on hit variety and more line drives and such...

There are only a couple of things that seem off. One of the things I feel is significantly "off"... is the timing window. When you hit in real life, there's a discernible, palpable difference in time between an early swing and a late swing. You consciously swing early when you want to pull the ball, it doesn't just happen by accident. You even see hits where the hitter was wayyyyyy out in front, but hit the ball in the right spot to where it goes into fair play somewhere.

This year in The Show I don't feel like the timing window is anywhere large enough to feel right. Just a tad late and the pitch is way off foul somewhere (and foul by a wide margin, not like down the line just foul). I dont really feel like I can wait on pitches and try to hit one down the line.

Even with the slider at 10 It just feels too condensed. I'm getting hits, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying hitting is hard. But the timing window being as small as it is takes away the satisfaction of purposely hitting the ball in a particular direction, or even purposely fouling balls off (ie swinging really late on purpose).

I think if the timing window were expanded, and foul balls were increased, the batting physics would literally be perfect this year.

Thoughts? Am I on an island all alone here? Or do other people feel the same?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded

I don't feel the same. If I want to go the other way with the ball I can. If I want to pull it, I can. I just think there is no problem with it at all.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1

I've seen two things that maybe illustrate you do have a point.

1. So far, I have substantially more hits with late timing. Balls that I'm late on, generally travel further and have a greater chance of landing fair, even if for an out. Balls that I'm early on, generally go foul, or do not have the same success rate as my hits with late timing. I understand staying back on the ball and trying to work the opposite side of the field, but the % of hits should not be decreased if you're early and still making solid contact.

2. I think at this point, a good majority of players have had more of an issue this year hitting the changeup. This kind of goes with my first point. In years past you could crush a changeup if you were slightly out in front, but this year more time's than not, it's going foul or for a weak out.

All in all, I agree the timing window has decreased in this version.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:35 AM   #4
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

Couldn't disagree more.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0

Currently the pitches flatten out , really hard to explain but once they hit there finishing point they for some reason dont look like they have in the past to me. I did however fix this issue when you raise pitch speed between 8-10. I have always use 10 but when you look at some other pitchers in the league that throw 89 low 90's and the breaking stuff look a tad to fast on 10, so use 8 and it fixes a lot of this stuff, now does a 99 look as it should on 8 ? No but all the other pitches look exactly how they should so I compensate all of that and use 8. Now dont get me wrong 97-99 maybe even 100 mph doesnt really look all that bad on pitch speed 8.

I would say use pitch speed 8
But on control use 4
and consistency use 4

Believe it or not these 2 sliders are tied in to how the pitches are moving and breaking as well as the ratings of a pitcher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2015, 02:31 AM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Wink Re: I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I'm really happy with physics overall this year. I can see some big improvements, on hit variety and more line drives and such...

There are only a couple of things that seem off. One of the things I feel is significantly "off"... is the timing window. When you hit in real life, there's a discernible, palpable difference in time between an early swing and a late swing. You consciously swing early when you want to pull the ball, it doesn't just happen by accident. You even see hits where the hitter was wayyyyyy out in front, but hit the ball in the right spot to where it goes into fair play somewhere.

This year in The Show I don't feel like the timing window is anywhere large enough to feel right. Just a tad late and the pitch is way off foul somewhere (and foul by a wide margin, not like down the line just foul). I dont really feel like I can wait on pitches and try to hit one down the line.

Even with the slider at 10 It just feels too condensed. I'm getting hits, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying hitting is hard. But the timing window being as small as it is takes away the satisfaction of purposely hitting the ball in a particular direction, or even purposely fouling balls off (ie swinging really late on purpose).

I think if the timing window were expanded, and foul balls were increased, the batting physics would literally be perfect this year.

Thoughts? Am I on an island all alone here? Or do other people feel the same?

I think you might be right. I figured it was just me, but maybe its not.

I didn't want to say anything because I know my hitting experience is much different than probably most everyone that plays the game.

I wonder if the devs could chime in and say if they happened to tweak that part this year.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 04-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #7
Banned

Go Yankees's Arena

OVR: 0

Im not sure but do you use the directional hitting? That helps alot especially if your smart and know where the pitcher is trying to pitch, like, if you know he's going to pitch you inside on the next pitch then you just hold the left thumbstick left then if the pitch is inside you will probably smash it down the 3rd base line if your a right handed batter, but if you think the pitcher is going to pitch you inside, hold the left thumbstick left but the pitch is outside then you will probably still pull the ball it will just not be a smash down the line, it will be a dribbler to 3rd or a easy popout to shortstop or some weak hit.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
Rookie

volsfan39's Arena

OVR: 1
Icon14 Re: I think the (Human) timing window really needs to be expanded

I think the hitting is really good this year a bit harder yeah but as far as early or late I think it's a good balance. Most of the time the pitch I hit does what it should do...Directional hitting has made timing that much better! I don't use it often but for certain situations it's a plus. I also like the fact that just because you are looking for a pitch down you don't always hit it on the ground. I have ripped liners in the gap and down the line looking low and have topped grounders looking high swinging at a low pitch it works well..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »