Home

With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

This is a discussion on With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2015, 01:05 AM   #17
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
- Bunting - even with the patch, bunting is still way too easy and way too successful. I'm still averaging at least a bunt single with people like Ellsbury and Gardner at least every other attempt and let's face it, bunting for a single 50% of the time is simply not realistic at all.

- Meter Randomness - I love the meter, but the randomness of where the pitch lands is frustrating. I can miss the meter high or low and the location where the pitch goes is completely random. If you miss the meter low, the pitch should go low.

- Pitch Speeds - every pitcher doesn't have a 17-mph difference between their fastball and their changeup. I know they do this intentionally to make the user feel the difference, but it's not realistic at all.

- Ground Balls Hitting the Pitcher - I'd say 50% or more of the ground balls hit up the middle deflect off the pitcher whereas in real life it's probably about 3%. Heck, in real life, most pitchers try to get out of the way to avoid being hit. In this game, they try to get hit knowing they're all made of steel and can knock the ball down without blinking.

- The Mysterious Shrinking Strike Zone - constantly leading to big, late-inning rallies. Maybe I'm imagining this . . . but I really doubt it.

- Olay Grounders - this will be the bane of me, I swear. Runner on first, no outs. Routine grounder towards the hole that almost EVERY first basemen will at least knock down to get one out and probably turn a simple double play on. So why do my corner infielders constantly (yes, constantly as in multiple times per game) olay these grounders into singles? They literally get their glove down, but the absolutely ridiculous animation occurs where the fielder olays the ball, going from an easy DP to a first-to-third single. And it seems to happen at convenient times, but that part may be my imagination or frustration.

- The high strike zone - I watch baseball regularly. Pitches at the letters are almost never called strikes anymore. I understand the strike zone is "supposed" to go from letters to knees, but it doesn't. Not anymore. Let's try updating the strike zone to what it actually is now.

- Wild Pitches - wild pitches occur. Not every game. And rarely on pitches right down the middle.
I agree with: bunting, olay grounders, although I see to few of them to be bothered, balls hitting pitcher (!!!)

Wild pitches, high strike zone, pitch speeds, meter randomness don't really bother me.

A shrinking strike zone I have not experienced.

What I'd like to see improved are catcher reactions and animations, or am I the only one who thinks they are still a bit off sometimes?

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Old 05-13-2015, 01:13 AM   #18
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: With all they've tweaked with gameplay, there's still so much more they didn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I can't speak for SCEA but I would doubt they could keep MLB's license if they deviate any from the rulebook; MLB likely would view any variance as an integrity of the game issue.

I'm not disagreeing with you but rather stating that I believe SCEA's hands are tied.
Yea that doesn't make sense to me either, I'm sure nothing will be taken away if scea is adding a bit variety and life like deviation from the rule book, not matter concerning the strike zone or anything else.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Old 05-13-2015, 01:49 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 0

- Meter Randomness - I love the meter, but the randomness of where the pitch lands is frustrating. I can miss the meter high or low and the location where the pitch goes is completely random. If you miss the meter low, the pitch should go low.

I agree with this. If a person wants randomness then use classic pitching. Meter pitching should be about user control, lord knows there is already to little of this as it is.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:49 AM   #20
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I'm not sure that argument makes a lot of sense with both variable strike zones and missed calls being allowed.

High strikes have been a small pet peeve of mine for years as well.
Good point, my friend
Old 05-13-2015, 02:50 AM   #21
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

I can't believe they never fixed the pitcher getting hammered by a hit and then fielding the ball like no big deal. Been in the game for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2015, 02:54 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

As much as I love this game there are tons of small things that have started eating away at me more and more. You've named most of them.

Knuckleballers throw too many strikes.

When playing the CPU they don't chase often or swing and miss as much as they should.

I don't understand the low K ratings for nearly every starting pitcher.

Too many double plays!

What's up with the pull player off the bag animation from throws in the outfield? The CPU and myself prolly do it 5 times each a game.

CPU doesn't attempt pickoffs enough on regular leads. When they're on base they never slide back in when you attempt a pickoff. So basically the cat and mouse of the running game is non existent.

Come backers, dropped third strikes and pops ups behind the plate need to be cut down drastically.

The lazy throwing animations this year get annoying fast.

Pitchers deliveries look so weak. Like they're barely trying to throw the ball hard.

Bunting lol

Hits down the line seem to just die out so they never lead to doubles. Probably one of the most exciting things to see in a game.

Every outfielder seems like the same defensive player out there.

Whoever does the pitcher ratings and repetoires needs to be fired. In what world are change ups 78 and fastballs 95?

There's probably more I've missed. Still a beautiful game but some of this stuff is starting to get to me recently. The gameplay human vs CPU is the most important thing to me.

Sorry for the long rant
Old 05-13-2015, 03:01 AM   #23
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Are you talking about a passed ball?
I think they are... wild pitches have a few relevant catcher animations, but passed balls basically just go through or bounce off of catchers, making people go wth.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA

Names of the pitchers please?
Tanaka definitely has this wide gap. He consistently hit 94 mph with his fastball and consistently hit 71 mph on his changeup (I don't know whether he actually does have that big of a gap between pitches or not). Very tough to hit though. I played in Milwaukee, so I saw the radar gun on the big scoreboard every pitch.

Last edited by L_Thibs; 05-13-2015 at 03:12 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »