Home

Scouting Doesn't Matter?

This is a discussion on Scouting Doesn't Matter? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27
Scouting Doesn't Matter?

Just booted up a new franchise and forgot to turn scouting on to "auto" (doing a simulation heavy franchise). When I got to the draft, I didn't have anyone scouted. Despite that, every player I drafted had the exact potential/overall that the 0% accuracy scouting report told me it would have.

Anyone else noticing this?

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Scouting Doesn't Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Just booted up a new franchise and forgot to turn scouting on to "auto" (doing a simulation heavy franchise). When I got to the draft, I didn't have anyone scouted. Despite that, every player I drafted had the exact potential/overall that the 0% accuracy scouting report told me it would have.

Anyone else noticing this?
I think i remember hearing something about this last year. Its a bug i believe.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Rookie

Fours's Arena

OVR: 0

As far as I can tell, you should never scout.

Hire the 4 cheapest scouts, and leave them idle, come draft day you will have exact potential and overalls for all players.

It also avoids that weird thing where fully scouted players don't enter the draft and in the future you have draft classes with 50% 25 year olds, and just a few high school players.

I think having scouts discover "creates" prospects, and since they find what you tell them to look for, you can kind of create certain types of players, I find with never scouting I end up with huge bats, and no speed guys or great defenders.

I'd like to hear what people think of this, and what's working for you.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fours
As far as I can tell, you should never scout.

Hire the 4 cheapest scouts, and leave them idle, come draft day you will have exact potential and overalls for all players.

It also avoids that weird thing where fully scouted players don't enter the draft and in the future you have draft classes with 50% 25 year olds, and just a few high school players.

I think having scouts discover "creates" prospects, and since they find what you tell them to look for, you can kind of create certain types of players, I find with never scouting I end up with huge bats, and no speed guys or great defenders.

I'd like to hear what people think of this, and what's working for you.
Except you are "cheating". The CPU doesnt get to know who is the best. So why should you?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Yea is an exploit. I house rule this part of the game.

I only allow myself to take a "grey" player in round 1. Round 2 on I don't take any of them.

It's something they need to fiz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Except you are "cheating". The CPU doesnt get to know who is the best. So why should you?
If the scouting system was well designed and effective, I would never "cheat".

I love this game, and I don't want to complain about things(especially when there's an easy workaround). I'll bet they didn't "fix" scouting because they know it's terrible and it's probably on their list of things to redesign completely.

With your entire scouting staff of four people, you can't discover and scout enough players to avoid drafting blind by about round 3 most years. That's ridiculous, I have a surplus of tens of millions unused, and I'm throwing away draft assets because I can only have 4 guys to cover the entire world? I'm paying a scout millions of dollars, and he's scouting a small number of players, and then taking 10 months off?

Scouting also causes the issue I mentioned of players not entering the draft until age 25(that's a 7 year college career) and preventing 18 year old prospects from being generated.

I could go on and on about it, but the bottom line is that the draft isn't done well, and I'm happy to minimize the impact of that on the franchise mode.

Also, the CPU knows more than you think, aside from the odd 1st round mistake where they take a low potential player, they pretty much pluck them off the board in order all the way to the last pick. If I had to guess I would say the CPU adds Overall + Potential and drafts the players with the highest total.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fours
If the scouting system was well designed and effective, I would never "cheat".

I love this game, and I don't want to complain about things(especially when there's an easy workaround). I'll bet they didn't "fix" scouting because they know it's terrible and it's probably on their list of things to redesign completely.

With your entire scouting staff of four people, you can't discover and scout enough players to avoid drafting blind by about round 3 most years. That's ridiculous, I have a surplus of tens of millions unused, and I'm throwing away draft assets because I can only have 4 guys to cover the entire world? I'm paying a scout millions of dollars, and he's scouting a small number of players, and then taking 10 months off?

Scouting also causes the issue I mentioned of players not entering the draft until age 25(that's a 7 year college career) and preventing 18 year old prospects from being generated.

I could go on and on about it, but the bottom line is that the draft isn't done well, and I'm happy to minimize the impact of that on the franchise mode.

Also, the CPU knows more than you think, aside from the odd 1st round mistake where they take a low potential player, they pretty much pluck them off the board in order all the way to the last pick. If I had to guess I would say the CPU adds Overall + Potential and drafts the players with the highest total.

So you're saying send the scouts to discover but then don't scout anyone or don't even send them to discover and have them do nothing?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
So you're saying send the scouts to discover but then don't scout anyone or don't even send them to discover and have them do nothing?
Don't discover anyone. As soon as you do that you get the raw scouting data which is literally random nonsense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »