Home

How do I get better at this game

This is a discussion on How do I get better at this game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: How do I get better at this game

The only tips I can offer are (and please note I do not play online)

1) Batting Practice. This will help you learn the various pitches and their movement. Being able to recognize pitches will go a long way.

2) Learn your hitters. Meaning learn your hitters hot and cold zones.

3) Swing at hitters pitches until forced to. Its ok to take strikes that aren't in your hitters hot zone, until you have two strikes of course. Swing at pitches your hitter can drive until you're forced to swing at something else.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0

1) make sure your TV is on Game Mode or whatever equivalent your TV has. Maybe input lag is messing up your timing.
2) use contact swing (circle), never use power swing (square) until you improve.
3) have you tried Guess Pitch options? Maybe guess location but not pitch type, at least so you start getting a better idea of where pitches are and are not going.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #19
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

From your tendencies that you posted, you have a 93% swing rate and an 89% strike percentage when pitching. Both of those numbers are way, way, way, way too high. Swing percentage should be 50% tops (40% is ideal) and strike percentage should be no higher than 65-70% maximum. The numbers tell me you need to work on being patient more than anything else.

Secondary to that, your 99 drag bunt rating says that you're either getting too desperate to get on base or that you are cheesing the bunt. Also, the 85% fastball percentage needs to come down in favor of a better mix.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
From your tendencies that you posted, you have a 93% swing rate and an 89% strike percentage when pitching. Both of those numbers are way, way, way, way too high. Swing percentage should be 50% tops (40% is ideal) and strike percentage should be no higher than 65-70% maximum. The numbers tell me you need to work on being patient more than anything else.

Secondary to that, your 99 drag bunt rating says that you're either getting too desperate to get on base or that you are cheesing the bunt. Also, the 85% fastball percentage needs to come down in favor of a better mix.
Thanks bro and I don't know why it says 99 drag bunt cause the only time I bunt is advancing a rnner or a squeeze play
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
Rookie

Appreciate the tips guys
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #22
Rookie

Batter Patience is one of the most important aspects of hitting in this game. I can't tell you how many times I face a guy who will swing at every single curveball, slider, or change up I throw no matter where it is. I used to do this myself a couple of years ago but after being able to track the pitches I get into deeper counts and it allows my opponent to make more mistakes. Being able to track the pitches is extremely hard at first but after you get experience facing all different kinds of arm slots, rotations, and pitch speeds it becomes easier. Also, I don't regularly play on zone hitting but if I notice my opponent is constantly pitching me in the upper inside corner (hardest pitch to hit with directional hitting IMO) i'll switch to Zone and hammer the ball using that until he stops and then go back to directional.

Last edited by cnemergut; 07-21-2015 at 12:38 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »