Home

Is Directional hitting working properly?

This is a discussion on Is Directional hitting working properly? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #17
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is Directional hitting working properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
PCI is NOT supposed to move for directional.
It is working as intended.
So when I see a low changeup that I know it's going to be in the zone and I time it perfectly I'm still going to chop it no matter what?

I get that there is some kind of penalty for not using zone but this seems ridiculous.

Is this for online balancing? If so that is kind of a piss off to all of us who play offline only.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #18
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
That basically makes it zone without moving PCI.
No...because the "PCI" is bigger in timing hitting when your swing perfect, and smaller when your timing is off. Correct me if I am wrong..when swing with Zone the PCI is ALWAYS same size....thats #1

#2 in situational settings...say runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs, if you want to pull a ball in the air but you are late on a pitch, it will be harder to do that, resulting in bad contact (MLB 16 now has feedback on contact type AND speed off of bat...bad swings and mixmatching timing vs direction severely impact this)......this is also why Directional is more realistic because you have this option. In zone there is no way to try an pick which field to hit to, there are strategic reasons why this is a necessity.

#3 Timing is harder on Directional Hitting. This has been like this since last year, to combat that notion that its just zone without moving PCI, they made timing a little harder when Directional Hitting is used. So the timing window for a good swing on Directional and good swing on Zone are different. So timing is easier on zone but aiming is harder, timing is harder on directional but aiming is not an option BUT swing direction needs to match with timing...which again is harder (in zone this concept doesn't exist).
Old 03-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #19
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
So when I see a low changeup that I know it's going to be in the zone and I time it perfectly I'm still going to chop it no matter what?

I get that there is some kind of penalty for not using zone but this seems ridiculous.

Is this for online balancing? If so that is kind of a piss off to all of us who play offline only.
No...if you time it perfectly the PCI would cover the entire zone essentially and you should make good contact (at least as good as if you moved the PCI to that same location yourself with zone). However in Directional Hitting, its harder than in zone to time something perfectly and this is what determines if PCI is covering entire zone or not.

The window is smaller...Also the swing type you choose will influence that, batter ability, hot and cold zones, all play a part.

Also as I mentioned before, just because PCI isnt covering that part of plate does not mean you will not get a hit, just like zone. If its close (within reason) you will make contact. Sometimes good contact, sometimes crappy contact, sometimes swing and miss. But timing and direction pulled are deciding factor, not PCI movement.

Those who come from zone will notice they are super early or super late on alot of pitches. But again timing windows are different.

It is not a penalty, its different implementation.

If that is the case, than I can argue I am penalized in zone whenever I am trying to hit the ball to RF when there is a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs. I cannot do it. You would argue put your PCI in proper spot and be a little late with a righty to push ball to RF but to me that sounds crazy. I chose to push stick in that direction and wait for a pitch that I can handle and influence it to go where I want. If my timing is off and direction is off...it will result in a bad swing and poor contact (or swing and miss).

Additionally Direction is not a given. I hit a HR opposite field with Kris Bryant today.
It was a ball up in the zone, middle plate, I was pulling. I was a tad late but still had enough timing and enough PCI coverage and I was able to hit it out.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 03-29-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #20
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Here is an example, it was a pitch down in the zone, that I hit UP and OUT for a HR...with Pillar from Blue Jays (not a power hitter, using normal swing).

Had this been Zone Hitting:

#1. I would not have had option to try and pull AND hit ball in the air. This would have required me to put PCI under the ball, when you see image you will notice there is no space to get under ball.

#2 You notice the ball is actually under the PCI, in zone this would have been a chopped ball.

In directional hitting the PCI is not the location of the bat, its simply area the batter is covering.
Again the swing type, timing, player attributes, and direction of stick influence how ball is hit.

I killed it by the way, 103 MPH off the bat, monster shot.
Off of a Changeup, low by the way TheWarmWind....same exact scenario you asked about.

However, since its Directional Hitting I chose to uppercut the ball and pull it. I was in complete control of that swing. Had the pitch been away where I could not pull it I would have laid off and waited for my pitch. I was ahead in count and could do that.

Had I been behind or desperate and tried same swing on a pitch low and away, I would have made bad contact, rolled over on pitch, or fouled it off, or swung and missed. In this situation I wanted to pull.

There are ABs where I hit other way, depending on how pitcher is pitching me...
Its all strategy, and Directional Hitting is awesome at it.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 03-29-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 5

I could have sworn in the Twitch streams SCEA was doing, you could see the PCI placement with directional hitting in the swing analysis window... maybe they changed it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #22
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

I'm not necessarily talking about directional hitting...I'm referencing timing hitting, which is just directional hitting without actually selecting a direction to hit.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #23
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
I'm not necessarily talking about directional hitting...I'm referencing timing hitting, which is just directional hitting without actually selecting a direction to hit.
That then just takes the hitters tendancies into account.
When you pause the game while hitting you can see their spray chart and whether a hitter is extreme pull, push, or balance hitter.

If you do not pick a direction, the CPU basically picks a direction for you based on what that hitter would do most of the time. This is actually what happens in Zone Hitting, and why I do not like it for situational hitting. Sometimes I want to dictate where the ball goes. Sometimes it does not work, but I know I tried and my influence was taken into account. Again timing, pitch selection, pitch location, and attributes play a huge part.

However, not picking a direction 100% of the time is misuse of the hitting system. Sometimes I do not pick a direction and take "see the ball hit the ball approach". But as I mentioned, in situational settings, where I am trying to drive a pitch, or get a runner in, you HAVE to use direction to if you want to be successful and be in control.

Not using direction on directional hitting, is like not moving PCI in zone. You will get hits, you can be successful, but to truly use it and make it work you need to move the left stick to influence the pitches for each hitting type respectively.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 03-29-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #24
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Look guys reading my posts, it comes off as if I am trying to like convince you guys to switch...I am not...

I just wanted to express 3 things...

1. PCI has no influence on Directional Hitting, so Directional Hitting is not broken.
2. Directional Hitting is only in year 2 of its implementation, and in 1 day of playing I already think its better than year 1.
3. You need to understand differences between Zone and Directional, if you ever want to use it and/or understand it. It is different, and your approach at plate is different. If you approach it the way you do Zone, it will not work. Which is why I cannot use Zone...Directional seems natural to me the way Zone does for the Zone players.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 03-29-2016 at 03:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »