Home

Is Directional hitting working properly?

This is a discussion on Is Directional hitting working properly? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2016, 02:25 AM   #33
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is Directional hitting working properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
So when I see a low changeup that I know it's going to be in the zone and I time it perfectly I'm still going to chop it no matter what?

I get that there is some kind of penalty for not using zone but this seems ridiculous.

Is this for online balancing? If so that is kind of a piss off to all of us who play offline only.
I am getting an insane amount "good" timing swings that are resulting in either swings & misses or foul tips. Even more so than last year. If you dont get good timing, then you can forget about getting a base hit.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:14 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Here is an example, it was a pitch down in the zone, that I hit UP and OUT for a HR...with Pillar from Blue Jays (not a power hitter, using normal swing).

I love that graphic - so nice to see that kind of info with the batted ball speed.

Also the fact it was over 100 MPH. That definitely can happen on a squared up ball.

Didn't know the PCI was static, though it would seem that's more in tune with it's name "Plate Coverage Indicator". Seems to be doing that exact role in Directional then - showing how much of the plate/zone the hitter can cover with authority.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #35
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Are you sure about this?

I thought the PCI was moved in relation to the pitch according to the batter's plate vision rating?
I believe so just based off of what I see now and how it was last year.
Someone can fact check me but Directional Hitting last year, the PCI did not show on swing info at all.

Also when you turn on Directional Hitting, the PCI Reticle option is disabled. When you turn PCI on or off in Directional Hitting, it actually just shows you where you are holding stick, it does not actually influence the PCI, so if you are pulling stick to left, it does not move PCI to the left it just influences the ball you hit to the left.

Additionally, you can see pic I posted above where ball was under the "PCI" and I hit it up in the air for a HR. If this were truly the PCI we see in Zone, that would have been a ball on the ground as the bat would have been "aimed" on top of the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #36
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

As a sign of comradery, I opened this as a bug on The Show's Bug Report Tool.

If I am wrong, I would like it fixed as well in that case.

Here is the link:http://theshownation.com/bug_reports/10429
Old 03-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #37
Rookie

I also noticed directional hitting this year almost immediately felt like something was off. It just seemed like i was squaring up balls that would result in chopped balls or lazy pop ups. It didnt take me long to switch back to zone hitting which Ive used every year in the show beside last years game. Right after I made the switch to zone I started clubbing no doubter home runs one after another, and usung directional hitting last year I would never have no doubt homers only robbable fence scrapers.

Not trying to tell you guys who are struggling with directional to make the switch, but if you have once used zone you may want to revisit that as zone at least for me this year seems the superior hitting interface.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #38
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy2390
I also noticed directional hitting this year almost immediately felt like something was off. It just seemed like i was squaring up balls that would result in chopped balls or lazy pop ups. It didnt take me long to switch back to zone hitting which Ive used every year in the show beside last years game. Right after I made the switch to zone I started clubbing no doubter home runs one after another, and usung directional hitting last year I would never have no doubt homers only robbable fence scrapers.

Not trying to tell you guys who are struggling with directional to make the switch, but if you have once used zone you may want to revisit that as zone at least for me this year seems the superior hitting interface.
I am having completely opposite experience.
Last year I struggled to hit with anything...I just felt game hitting was off last year...

I have hit more doubles in 2 days than I think I hit all last year.

I have hit no doubt HRs with Didi Gregorious and Brett Gardner.
There is definitely more reward and penalty in Directional Hitting for timing.

Since Timing is mostly what you are doing (Direction is optional) it is weighed heavily.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #39
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

K I spent a few hours last night doing batting practice, and to me directional is off. 100% of my "off" timed hits were choppers, foul balls, popouts or lazy fly balls, even if I was early on an inside pitch or late on an outside pitch. 2/3rds of my "good" timing resulted in the same thing, even on pitches right down the middle.

Zone seems to be working fine but I find it impossible to track AND pull a ball. I'm still struggling to get a handle on pure analog but at least good timing produces solid contact most of the time.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #40
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
K I spent a few hours last night doing batting practice, and to me directional is off. 100% of my "off" timed hits were choppers, foul balls, popouts or lazy fly balls, even if I was early on an inside pitch or late on an outside pitch. 2/3rds of my "good" timing resulted in the same thing, even on pitches right down the middle.

Zone seems to be working fine but I find it impossible to track AND pull a ball. I'm still struggling to get a handle on pure analog but at least good timing produces solid contact most of the time.
Yup. That has been my experience since they opened the timing window in '13. All you have to do is play batting practice and hit ten balls with just timing hitting (not necessarily directional) and you will see the issue. It doesn't really matter what your attributes are for the player, it will still happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »