Home

Is Directional hitting working properly?

This is a discussion on Is Directional hitting working properly? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0
Is Directional hitting working properly?

Something seems off with directional hitting and the PCI. Ive gone into practice mode and turned on swing/pitch info. No matter what the timing of my swing is the pci always stays in the same spot, which is right down the middle. If i get perfect timing on a pitch, ill either roll over it(if its down) or pop it up(if its up). Im not complaining that I should completely mash every pitch I get good timing on. Im more concerned that the pci isnt moving and every ball I put in play reflects the PCI not moving and the final pitch location. I know that in 15 the pci would move based on player ratings and timing of the pitch, however it seems like its just stuck in the middle of the plate. And no, im not accidentally using zone hitting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Re: Is Directional hitting working properly?

Yeah I had this as well. I just assumed it was because they didn't want to show where the PCI actually went but your right the results do seem to show that the PCI just stays in the middle. AllI've done so far is batting practice though it may not be true in game will find out later.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Wondered this myself, however wondered if it was a design decision so it doesnt show the PCI miles away from a ball you still hit.

I dunno, id like more info on it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Rookie

striker3771's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Wondered this myself, however wondered if it was a design decision so it doesnt show the PCI miles away from a ball you still hit.

I dunno, id like more info on it.

Same here. I was in practice mode all morning and I'm thinking its a design decision.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
Pro

I don't remember the PCI changing positions on 15? I thought it would only show it in the feedback if you we're using zone hitting, otherwise it would just stay in the middle no matter what you were doing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker3771
Same here. I was in practice mode all morning and I'm thinking its a design decision.
I originally thought that as well until i noticed i wasnt squaring up on anything that wasnt in the middle 1/3rd of the zone. Hopefully more people can test or a dev can confirm because im legitimately concerned.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

I tried directional hitting for a couple of games and realized it was just like the past few iterations and went back to zone hitting. It just seems to me that from '13 onward, timing hitting has just been off.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
I tried directional hitting for a couple of games and realized it was just like the past few iterations and went back to zone hitting. It just seems to me that from '13 onward, timing hitting has just been off.
I actually came on board to say how well Directional Hitting is working this year! Alot more pulled balls, alot more liners falling for hits, better timing.

When I turn on Swing Info I see what you guys are saying, but it is not just covering the center part of the plate. Its actually covering the entire strike zone (minus the extreme corners, and very high and very low in the zone, but you can still make contact here but less solid), and I would think thats how it is with Directional/Timing Hitting.

Essentially the "CPU is aiming for you", so they cover the entire plate and do not "move" PCI to determine good contact. They cover entire plate and let timing plus direction influence contact type and hit direction. This to me represents how baseball really is...I have posted before, when you hit in real life you do not "aim the bat", you cover the entire zone with your eye, and let your hand/eye, timing, and swing type determine contact point and ball direction.

...this is exactly that.

When you use a power swing notice that the PCI shrinks more towards center of plate, but still covers a large portion, so pitches towards edges would be less likely to make contact.

What you need to remember there is no PCI in Directional Hitting, in fact in MLB 15 the PCI didn't even show in Directional Hitting in the Swing Info at all if I remember correctly, so the fact they brought it back is surprising.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 03-29-2016 at 01:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »