Home

Do you trust your catcher?

This is a discussion on Do you trust your catcher? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #17
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Do you trust your catcher?

My catcher is Yadi and I never listen to him. I've never noticed a difference between catchers in calling games. If I knew for sure that it mattered, then I probably would.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #18

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I don't think it should matter.

The ability of a catcher to call a game is not measurable and therefore it's subjective and I wouldn't want to see it put in the game.

Everyone can say catcher x calls a great game but how can we measure that?

Plus, ability to call a game isn't tied to physical ability so if it was somehow correlated with overall that would be wrong.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #19
MVP

MrSerendipity's Arena

OVR: 13

I typically pitch the catcher's gameplan 80% of the game and shake off his calls the other 20%. It's slightly humble.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeVic
Do you trust your catcher?

On every pitch, the catcher give a pitch and a location. He obviously adjust to whatever you're going to throw but do you trust him?

Has anyone actually tried to throw the game the catcher calls?

I would say I listen to the catch about 25 or so % of the time. The other 75 I pitch what I think I should pitch. The main thing is I try to make sure I am not to predictable. So I try to make sure I am not always pitching a fastball to start a at bat or always doing the same pitch when the count is 1-0, 2-0, 0-1 etc. I tend to look at the pitch screen thing after the 3erd inning to see if I have been predictable up to that point and try to mix things up more so if things have not been going well in those first 3 innings.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:21 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

For me, it depends on how my pitcher is doing.

If the pitcher is doing well, I'll follow the catcher. If he's getting smacked around, I'll tend to shake him off more.

I know it doesn't matter and isn't why the pitcher is struggling, just seems fun to do.

For some pitchers/situations, I'll tend to go away from what he's calling - like if a pitcher has, basically, one good pitch. I'll try to move that pitch around, change speeds with it, etc, but I'm probably not going to those other pitches with terrible command/confidence at a key spot, even if the catcher is calling for it. Probably wouldn't end up where it should anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2016, 02:26 AM   #22
Rookie

YankeeVic's Arena

I played 3 games since I posted this thread. I went 2-1.

For the majority of the games, I called my own game. I did find that with runners on & in a tight situation, I followed the catcher. Worked out pretty good. He certainly wanted some pitches & locations I wasn't expecting but I kinda liked putting the pressure on him.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #23
Rookie

Haansen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I don't think it should matter.

The ability of a catcher to call a game is not measurable and therefore it's subjective and I wouldn't want to see it put in the game.

Everyone can say catcher x calls a great game but how can we measure that?

Plus, ability to call a game isn't tied to physical ability so if it was somehow correlated with overall that would be wrong.
Maybe its just me but I believe the catches have differnt skills in calling the game.
I switched from one I cannot remember to Salvador Perez in my DD team and it seems like he makes much better calls. The old one much more called for throws in the hot zones of the hitter.

Perez on the other hand often calls for low breaking balls out of the zone in 0-2 or 1-2 counts, the old one did not do that...
Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #24
Pro

i cant remember the game but there was one i wanna say about 5 years back that "Call Game" was a catchers attribute....i really loved that and wish MLBTS would implement it at some point

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »